Gamergate Implications for BFC BFC?

Douglas Ruddd,

Welcome aboard!

Her handle had no "Miss." She was talented, tough in a CM fight and more than held her own in the eternal slanging match at the Peng Cesspool, where she was that most sacrosanct being, a Lady of the Pool. A search here under her handle (mit capital "K") will pull up lots of that sort of fun. I tried to find you some of her AFV skins from CMx1, but her site went down, and the Forums suffered a terrible server meltdown at one point which devastated it and our corporate memory, if you will. Perhaps some kind soul can provide links to some of here work, both serious and puckish. She had quite the wicked sense of humor.

Regards,

John Kettler

Jon, hi,

“Hi.

Your posts in this thread, Kip, remind me of this comic.”

Jon I know, I know.. ;).

You are a New Zealander.. I am familiar with the contemporary view New Zealanders take to these issues.. no doubt the same as that many Norwegians do who are I think starting to conscript women into front line units.

However, the problem is that having read the above book.. and for example seen the figures on female readership of the Economist over the years.. if the posts are polite, and on a forum where hopefully few, in fact hopefully no one would be offended.. we are in to “thought police stuff...” if politely one cannot make such posts.. :).

This of course is the problem.. at the moment in the western countries there is “immense pressure” not to say anything, or give any view that is even mildly un- PC. This pressure is very real.

I often do keep my trap shut on many issues if I think it would genuinely often. Some of the posts on previous thread along this line I did feel were wildly too aggressive. If there were a female audience here I would not have posted the above so as to be sure not to offend. Even though there is not an obvious female audience I did try to be polite but without going so far as to be forced to say something I believe, given what I have read, to be untrue.

I am not accusing Jon of this, but this a classic problem I am sure is true in all western countries.

All the best,

Kip.

PS. This is an example of why I never discuss near political topics on any CM forum, or online in any way. Only amongst friends or in the pub where it is easier to get the tone correct. This was though a military related matter so I attempted to politely make my case. I once heard a guy on the radio say that it is not a problem that fewer girls do physics to a higher level. It is a problem if even “one girl...” who wished to do physics at the higher level was discouraged or denied it because she was a female. My view exactly.

GreenAsJade,

Thanks for that. The hyperlink in it didn't work, but some digging turned it up anyway. What Senior Researcher and self-described female games analyst (presumably a games analyst who is female, rather than one who analyzes female games) Stephanie Lamas has to say on who is a gamer and valuing all gamers, gender bias in games and real world actions against female gamers is worth reading. In the overall gaming category, females now slightly outnumber males, but the split varies considerably, depending on the type of game considered. She plays everything from games on her cell (should probably be introduced to CM: Touch) to hardcore FPS and has been gaming since childhood.

http://www.superdataresearch.com/blog/why-all-gamers-matter/

Regards,

John Kettler

Verge is now proclaiming that Gamergate is dead. Seems the movement couldn't handle the publicity it so much wanted. With publicity came focused attention from many quarters, and the alleged concern about ethics in journalism was revealed for a small fig leaf hiding great ugliness and meanness. Good article.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/30/7131931/gamergate-is-dead

Regards,

John Kettler

Let's hope it's truly dead. I've always been somewhat proud of gamer geekiness, in that we take in whoever due to our own propensity for being on the out of mainstream followings. At a party there's nothing more I'd like to do than talk about Soviet operational art and how it stood up to German tactical-operational theory, but I realize that would soon mean eating crackers alone at the snack table. So, being happy with anybody having an interest in wargames to the point of wanting to play was the only criteria back then.

But now it seems things have changed. Women start expressing their own thoughts and submitting their own objections to the way they're depicted in games and all hell breaks loose by a contingent of male gamers who are appalled. Why? I don't know. It's really unfortunate too, because it's embarrassing as hell. I expected a lot more from my odd/wonderful community and they totally let me down. What is up with that?

Anyway, mi dos pesos and all that. Hope this phenomena returns to the trash bin of cultural history and we can re-learn to cooperate with all genders and just enjoy playing games again.