No modem 2 modem play?

Guest Big Time Software

Sorry to say that the Net is almost required these days for multiplayer. There are many reasons for this, most of which I outlined in the thread started by Sten.

Now that the Net is around we expect that fewer than maybe 1%-2% of our customers would use modem to modem play. That simply is too few for us to cater to. I mean, the 98% would be pretty pissed at us for delaying CM by WEEKS just to support this feature smile.gif Fact is that modem to modem play has ALWAYS been used by a tiny minority of players, now that number is even smaller.

We will try to support LAN TCP/IP games, but we aren't promising it. Although more people might want to take advantage of this feature than modem to modem, the number is still likely to be small. Unfortunately, the work to get it running (code and test time) might be too much of us to handle without causing delays.

Head to Head Internet play and PBEM are by far the most popular forms of multiplayer, so both will be supported and extensively tested in CM.

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

Peer to peer TCP/IP LAN *should* work with no extra work on our part.

Great site you have there! Love, and I mean LOVE, that animating GIF at the top! Worth the visit just to see that :)

Steve

Ya, it seems like there wouldn't be any differance between TCP/IP internet play and TCP/IP subnet play. For that matter, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a way to support TCP/IP over a h2h dial in type connection. Or are you guys going to use some sort of main internet based server to allow players to meet and initiate games? That seems unnecessary, especially considering that with a puncuated real time game, the orders for a turn could probably be packed into an email file and exchanged (somewhat like tacops). Just some thoughts.

Chris Rourke

ps... I just scrolled down.. cr*p, how did you guys get an answer out before I'd even finished my message? Thats really amazing.

Guest Michael emrys

>Great site you have there! Love, and I mean LOVE, that animating GIF at the top! Worth the visit just to see that smile.gif

Yeah, I thought that was cool too...although I think you ought to rewrite the ending so that the WNDZ machine is the one that gets clobbered.

Guest John Maragoudakis

True, the wndz machine was left standing, but he was left with one arm. Maybe it would have been better to go down in one piece like the mac machine.

>Yeah, I thought that was cool too...although I think you ought to

rewrite the ending so that the WNDZ machine is the one that gets

clobbered.

Heh, that's they only problem I've ever had with that GIF smile.gif I have to admit that I swiped it off the net somewhere, though, I guess I could go in and switch all the symbols around.... Anyway, to be slightly on topic, isn't there a way that you can 'tunnel' TCP/IP through a modem connection? I thought I had heard of something like that, but I don't know much about it. I would think that would work pretty well for CM, since the only data transfer (I'm guessing) would be trading the turn info. So lag and/or slow connection speeds would only affect how long you would have to wait before the turn was resolves. The turn movies and planning would be unaffected.