Fury Movie Discussion.

SPOILER:

I saw it recently, and liked it. Not the greatest war movie, but definitely not the worst. There was some movie stuff only a grog would catch, and would know that it was BS. No way an immobile tank would hold out long against all that infantry with the biggest BS surviving a shot from at least one perhaps two panzerfaust. Hollywood got it right as the tanks looked authentic, unlike "Patton" which used US Vietnam era tanks for both Germans and USA.

The movie follows a predictable format similar to "Saving Pvt Ryan" with the REMF who is a pacifist being thrown into combat, then becoming a killer by the end. I guess what I liked most about the film was that it centered on a tank crew. The only other movie I can think of that centered around a tank was Bogie's "Sahara". Some how I don't think that movie would have been received the same if it were named "Lulu Belle" instead for the name of his tank.

As expected Pitt's death was dramatic surviving multiple sniper shots, with the taking of a last grenade as a final touch. Funny that when the last guy alive goes back into the tank where the grenade went off Brad's hair(which was kinda cool) is still in place with no blown off body parts. He even dies like a pretty boy!

Took my girl to see it last thursday she really liked it unlike most of the war flicks ive made her watch. She has near zero knowledge of anything military and even she could tell the ending was over the top. I was hoping they werent going to pull out the usual cliches and a SPResque ending but they did cause its for the masses not just us grogs.

Genreally a solid war flick it did leave me wanting more. Guess all the mini series have spoiled me. Anyone else notice jason isaacs (black hawk down, the patriot) playing the american officer was wearing a captured waffen ss anorak like the fur lined ones they wore in kharkov? :cool:

I wish our tank gun smoke shells (not the ones the crew throws out) and WP created a smoke cloud that quickly in the game.

More realistic and useful I think.

Yes, I wondered whether that was realistic too - it makes sense that the detonation of a shell results in more instantaneous smoke. This would definitely change in-game dynamics.

Yes, I wondered whether that was realistic too - it makes sense that the detonation of a shell results in more instantaneous smoke. This would definitely change in-game dynamics.

WP should produce a near-instant cloud. Base emission shells take some time and I think the game has that about right.

Michael

You've lost me there... What's the difference between WP and base emission shells?

WP is white phosphorus. The shell is exploded by an HE charge scattering the WP which ignites on contact with the air, producing the smoke. It also can badly burn any exposed skin it comes in contact with and can start fires among flammable material.

Base emission shells have a different chemical filling (I don't recall the formulation at the moment) and release them more slowly and less violently. Because of the heat that WP generates, the smoke tends to rise quickly in a column, whereas the smoke produced by base emission is cooler and tends to stay closer to the ground.

Michael

Btw. for all of you who wish you had my mom.

Keep in mind that my mother was an alcoholic for the first 35+ years of my life.

It wasn't until my alcoholic stepdad (who tried to strangle me several times during my childhood and who was extremely verbally abusive) died that she cut down on the drinking.

So while I have a mother who likes to do stuff like that now, she wasn't exactly the greatest mom growing up.

:(

Just felt I had to add that for some reason.

Mine is not to judge. Nobody's perfect. Various other self-effacing clichés come to mind.

Bottom line: she did change, which should give us all hope. Besides, look how well her son turned out in spite of her.

In other news: my parents have put me up for adoption.