Fury Movie Discussion.

The scene where the TC pulls the German into his hatch and kills him with a knife is straight out of a Vietnam war tanker's memoir, during a battle when VC were crawling over an M48. What was that book... "Tank Sergeant" by Zumbro. Presidio press. I haven't even thought of that book in a decade or more.

I read that book years ago but don't recall that scene, not that I doubt your account. Probably the thing I remember the best is that scene where his platoon shot up some VC boats trying to infiltrate arms and supplies. He wrote another book on the history of the tank that is worth taking a look at.

Michael

I saw it last week and was expecting it to be awful . . . and it wasn't. Yes, it has a number of real-world mistakes and inaccuracies, but this is to be expected because . . . it's a movie, not a documentary. As a movie, it tries to wrap up a whole lot of history in about two hours. I'd like to see any of you armchair screenwriters try it.

As someone who has studied the history of WW2 and who has served in a theater of war myself (although not in direct combat), I could relate to practically everything that was depicted because everything that was depicted DID and DOES happen in war.

There is no "Good War" and there never was. We won, so you don't hear much about the bad **** that we did too. If they had won . . . well, I'm glad they didn't.

I thought the acting was actually quite good. I think most of the negative critics seem to have personal grudges against this actor or that. Whatever.

About the climactic battle . . . sure, it was a bit unbelievable . . . but read up on Audie Murphy or any number of Medal of Honor or Knights Cross citations and you'll realize that these incredible/unbelievable feats of valor did occur.

. . . and you really should see it on the big screen while you can.

I think that if you go into a movie like this with the intention of picking it apart with your big brain full of field manual tactics and costume minutiae . . . you're missing the point . . . and you're probably kind of an *******.

I read that book years ago but don't recall that scene, not that I doubt your account.

Well, that's the only first person Vietnam tanker memoir I ever read so I assumed that's where my memory of the anecdote comes from. Maybe there's another Vietnam tanker memoir I read then forgot that I read it. ;)

Most war movies at about the 3/4 mark abruptly switch to either a fever dream or a horror story. I'm thinking Apocalypse Now, SPR, Catch-22, Platoon, Deer Hunter, Cross of Iron, etc etc etc. And so did Fury. My primary gripe about Fury is it followed the Hollywood war movie tropes a bit too closely. From the green typist commandeered to fight to the pretty girl in the occupied village to the dying hero's last words (always the only guy in the film who has time for dying last words). But that's faint criticism when compared to 1965's "Battle of the Bulge" with Telly Savalas as a tank commander facing M47 'Tigers'. :D

I think some people need to get out of their armchairs a bit and ask themselves if it would be a good movie if they had just shot that Tiger from 1km away or if they had been blown up by the numerous panzerfausts in the end battle.

Would that have made a good movie?

Sometimes reality doesn't make for good movies so you have to thumb on reality a bit for the action in movies.

On the other hand, reality makes a fine movie if you just give it a chance. Think of that 1km shot. Imagine the suspense: the shot has been fired and it may be the only shot you get before the Boch returns fire, which is almost certain to be fatal. So the shot is fired and we wait out the seconds while it is on the way (and the time of flight can be justifiably exaggerated since in situations like this subjective time can move awfully slowly), and then CA-RANG BOOM! A hit! We'll live!

Michael

Actually, it was a fight against 4 Tigers in the movie.

1 couldn't be repaired in the field depot before the battle, due to lack of spares.

1 ran out of gas, enroute.

1 broke down and is still waiting for a new final drive.

It was all in the film, realistically portrayed.

No US tanker ever knew about the dangers he didn't face.

;)

On the other hand, reality makes a fine movie if you just give it a chance. Think of that 1km shot. Imagine the suspense: the shot has been fired and it may be the only shot you get before the Boch returns fire, which is almost certain to be fatal. So the shot is fired and we wait out the seconds while it is on the way (and the time of flight can be justifiably exaggerated since in situations like this subjective time can move awfully slowly), and then CA-RANG BOOM! A hit! We'll live!

Michael

Actually, that might not be as exciting as you'd think it would.

At least not to the average movie-goer.

Actually, it was a fight against 4 Tigers in the movie.

1 couldn't be repaired in the field depot before the battle, due to lack of spares.

1 ran out of gas, enroute.

1 broke down and is still waiting for a new final drive.

It was all in the film, realistically portrayed.

No US tanker ever knew about the dangers he didn't face.

;)

Don't forget the other six that were knocked out by Jabos! ;-)

Look harder. They've always been there.

My bad ofcourse they are in, I was thinking about the usage of the turret mounted MG as portrayed in the movie, with a crew member standing on the back of the tank and firing from a standing postion.

M4A3E8-W+75mm+colors.jpg

dscf0016%2520(2).jpg

All 50 cals we have in CM are fired with the gunner standing in the turret. The mounting of the 50 cal in the movie and pictures seems different compared to what we have in CM. So my rephrased questions would be: When was the outside firing position used? What was more common?

All 50 cals we have in CM are fired with the gunner standing in the turret. The mounting of the 50 cal in the movie and pictures seems different compared to what we have in CM. So my rephrased questions would be: When was the outside firing position used? What was more common?

Initially all Shermans came from the factory with the .50 mounted behind the TC's hatch. The thinking must have been that it was meant as an AA weapon and most attacks by aircraft would approach from the rear. So it was mounted in a way that permitted the TC to operate it while still partially under armor. However, by 1944 the Luftwaffe was all but out of the picture and very seldom made attacks on armored vehicles. The .50 was still useful against ground targets and was commonly used thus. At first, it was somewhat dangerous to do so since, as you noticed, someone—usually the TC—had first to climb out of the turret and kneel on the rear deck in order to fire forward if the turret was in its usual position of facing forward. So canny American tankers began rewelding the mounting for the MG ahead of the TC's hatch so that it could be fired with minimum exposure. I think that this modification was eventually also adopted at the factory and new late model Shermans began appearing in the theater in that configuration.

Michael

Initially those vehicle rear-mounted .50 cal mgs could be manned and fired but it caused endless grief with the turret rotating to the rear at the worst possible time to bring the mg to bear on the enemy. Eventually it was judged to be just not worth it and they pulled the plug.

I saw the movie (with my 64-year old mom. It was her birthday present) and I liked it.

Sure, there were a few "movie" moments, but overall it was a good movie.

Surprisingly so actually.

Definately not a "hollywood warmovie".

And anyone riping about the youtube clip where they fight the tiger needs to watch the movie as it is completely different there.

1: they pop smoke on the tiger and back away.

2: they decide to flank it left and right before the smoke clears.

3: the tiger decides to move forward through the smoke, interrupting their manouver.

4: it damages the turret drive of the "fury" tank.

5: the fury misses due to firing on the move.

6: they decide to circle around it to hit the weakest part (which is understandable if you are to the side of the tank and all impacts would be at an angle, but still not called for)

So yeah, it's not much to complain about in that clip in its full form.

Only the "move behind it" part, but even that could be explained due to simply heat of the moment (and failing to penetrate the tank earlier due to hitting the mantle)

I wish my enemies 75mm AT guns missed as much as the ones in the movie.

Yeah, that bit was certainly "movie aim" :)

But did she like it?

I know, I know...it's the thought that counts. I'm just saying, I wish I had a mother who took me to war movies. Now, that's love.

Oh yeah, she loved it :)

And I'm the one who took HER to the movie :)

Btw. she also loves superhero movies so I've seen all the marvel ones with her (either at the cinema or at home on Dvd/blu-ray)

Also an avid fan of Sons of Anarchy and The Walking Dead.

I've also watched Band of Brothers, Rome, Breaking Bad and Deadwood with her :)

Well, in regard to that sort of thing, as I am fond of saying (probably too often :D ), it was a big war and just about anything that could happen probably did somewhere sometime. So it may well be the case that some inventive TC or ordnance mechanic got the idea of salvaging a ring off some damaged truck or HT and welding it onto the TC's hatch area. Obviously the idea never caught on and my guess would be because it would hinder getting in and out through the hatch. I know if I were a TC I wouldn't want anything to hinder my ability to speedily exit a tank that was getting ready to blow.

Michael