Fury Movie Discussion.

I've never heard anyone talk like Brad Pitt in this one. Why did he have to do that silly accent? Why did they even cast him? I kept thinking this is a dark comedy like Inglorious Basterds. Also thought Shia Labeouf is going to make Fury transform into a robot, talk and make crude pee jokes. I am being a bit unfair, but they should have casted more relatable actors. I think Bill Murray, Sean Bean or Willem Dafoe would make good War Daddies (new family comedy). Can't cast Ed Harris or Tom Hanks, though -- they're already assigned to other units.

On 3/19/2018 at 8:53 PM, Bozowans said:

Modern movies are written by modern people, so they make the characters talk like modern Americans and use modern slang.

But... professional and level-headed conversations would make this film "boring". It needs exciting dialog, or else they'll need to put actual stakes in the plot.

A problem with realistic WW2 casting is that most of the private soldiers were very young men; 18-20 years old.  Company grade NCO's and officers might run as old as 25 or so.  Veteran actors are a decade older.  War fighting is a younger man's venue.  The Iraq War series "Generation Kill" captured that pretty well.

1 hour ago, Badger73 said:

A problem with realistic WW2 casting is that most of the private soldiers were very young men; 18-20 years old.  Company grade NCO's and officers might run as old as 25 or so.  Veteran actors are a decade older.  War fighting is a younger man's venue.  The Iraq War series "Generation Kill" captured that pretty well.

Aye. I'm so used to Hollywood casting older actors for younger roles in movies of all genres and time-periods. Gen Kill had an amazing cast. They felt like real people and were easy to relate to. I even heard that they cast some veterans in it. Highly recommend that miniseries.

7 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Can at least answer that one:  Star power is how movies get financed.

That AND unnecessary romance (?) plots involving French girls.

Oh, AND inspirational trailer speeches. 

1 hour ago, Badger73 said:

NatGeo's recent mini-series "The Long Road Home" cast actors of a believable age to play the soldiers of 2-5 Cav.

2 hours ago, Badger73 said:

It's not a new theme either. John Wayne in The Longest Day as Lt. Col. Vandervoort was thirty years older than the actual person. Apparently the real Vandervoort was a little displeased as being portrayed as a 50 year old man despite being in his late 20's for the D-Day invasion. 

Sounds like John Wayne was also a PITA to work with as well.

On 2018-03-24 at 11:09 PM, JonS said:

Takes all sorts I guess - I thought HR was dire. And stupid.

The story is fine; the film of the story is terrible.

I agree. I know that many people loved it but I couldn't. The terrible casting hurt it too. Vince Vaughn drove me nuts.