Killing Patton--anyone read it?

I stumbled across what I initially thought was Jon Stewart's interview with Bill O'Reilly about his new book Killing Patton, a subject in which I've long been interested. I was very disappointed that Jon Stewart, who in my limited experience always reads the book before the interview, as opposed to Larry King, who brags he doesn't, not only hadn't but other than showing the book, announcing the title and greeting the author, had nothing whatever to say about even the book's basic premise. Has anyone here glanced through, skimmed or read the book? If so, I'd love to hear your impressions of it.

Regards,

John Kettler

The very title fills me with misgivings. The only thing that would be at all likely to pique my interest would be if it was a round up and analysis of all the conspiracy theories that have surrounded Patton's death.

Michael

Just so you know, he has a whole series of books with 'Killing' in the title. I don't know exactly how many there are but I think there is at least Killing Kennedy, Killing Jesus, Killing Lincoln, and now Killing Patton. I haven't read any of them, but the Killing Kennedy book was turned into an A&E mini movie that aired a while back and I think that one of the others might get the movie treatment as well. The Killing Kennedy A&E movie was pretty good. It didn't really do a lot of speculating and mostly just gave the viewer a timeline of what Oswald was doing and when. So I guess I would say that the title is just a continuation of what he has been using as a title for other books.

I don't think anyone would classify O'Reilly as a historian, but he does have an extensive journalism career having spent several years at both NBC and ABC news IIRC so you could probably expect any of his books to approach a subject from that sort of an angle. There is also a co author that he collaborates with on all his books although I don't know anything about him.

FWIW, I was a skeptic but the "Killing Lincoln" book was given to me as a gift. It sat unread for half a year. Finally, out of other reading material, I started. I almost couldn't put it down. Exceptionally good read.

It's obvious that the detractors in this thread are putting their political outlook/bias ahead of actual facts. If you haven't read any of this series, you're not speaking from any basis in reality. (Whether you consider yourself a supporter or detractor of O'Reilly, these books are without politics.)

I'll buy it and read it...based on how enjoyable "Killing Lincoln" was.

It's obvious that the detractors in this thread are putting their political outlook/bias ahead of actual facts.

Well...seems more accurate to say that some people here are putting their political outlook ahead of their spending patterns.

Case in point: I will not buy a book written by (and thereby contribute money to) Bill O'Reilly. Period. If it's a great read that's filled with new insight on an interesting event in history, then it's my loss. I'll have to look elsewhere.

This increasingly tangential thread will almost surely close soon...