Why Are Men In Buildings So Easily Spotted?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you say they are not? The manual states that units on quick are moving at the jog, and slightly emphasizing speed over awareness, cohesion and cover. What is it your troops are doing (or not doing)?

Largely because you are forced to demand a specific type of movement and a specific type of reaction to fire.

Movement when in dynamic situations is .... dynamic. Something that CM can't really do right now.

More importantly a speed of movement is tied to a fixed SOP for coming under fire. So while you have all these different speeds you have a really strict reaction to engagement which really cuts down on what these movement speeds can do.

Womble, I've tried that and largely find it a unhappy solution. In sufficiently dynamic battlefields your ability to properly use hunt is essentially non-existent. I also would like to know an explanation for the high fatigue cost of hunt. It seems odd that moving cautiously is more tiring than quick.

As far as assaulting buildings. I like to recon by fire and then transition into either an overwatched approach or suppressing fire + a team moving up to the building to fire into the windows of the first floor/grenade it.

In nearly all situations I avoid using hunt and prefer a overwhelming number of small teams with short quick commands. Any surprises result in small losses and you have enough fire and maneuver elements to effectively pin and maneuver on a target. Also a pair of tanks using 15 second pauses and 15 second firing orders can hit 6-8 houses per turn and usually a round or two of HE will get men to vacate a position.

If I'm trying to get troops into a building that may be under observation from a distance. In sufficiently built up areas you can usually find corridors where there is little or no LOS. Alternatively if you want to put a half team into a building. Send a whole squad in, split the squad, and have half the squad hide for a period of time and the other half run back outside. It doesn't always work, but it can create the impression that the building is unoccupied.

Womble, I've tried that and largely find it a unhappy solution. In sufficiently dynamic battlefields your ability to properly use hunt is essentially non-existent. I also would like to know an explanation for the high fatigue cost of hunt. It seems odd that moving cautiously is more tiring than quick.

Yeah having your guys stop because the spot something a long way off can be disappointing. I prefer to chalk that up to - **** happens and your men don't always do things perfectly. I do not find using covered arcs a good solution because so often I end up sad because a threat appeared outside the arc :(

I only use hunt either

at the pointy end - when stopping as soon as you see something is actually what you want

or

at the end of a movement order - such as the last leg to the edge of the woods where stopping in cover is desired and you might as well stop when they see something.

As for why it is so tiring I think it is because it simulates moving carefully from cover to cover. Like in the forest moving along, crouched, a fallen tree trunk.

In nearly all situations I avoid using hunt and prefer a overwhelming number of small teams with short quick commands. Any surprises result in small losses and you have enough fire and maneuver elements to effectively pin and maneuver on a target. Also a pair of tanks using 15 second pauses and 15 second firing orders can hit 6-8 houses per turn and usually a round or two of HE will get men to vacate a position.

Sounds pretty good to me - and pretty much what I do too.

If I'm trying to get troops into a building that may be under observation from a distance. In sufficiently built up areas you can usually find corridors where there is little or no LOS. Alternatively if you want to put a half team into a building. Send a whole squad in, split the squad, and have half the squad hide for a period of time and the other half run back outside. It doesn't always work, but it can create the impression that the building is unoccupied.

Interesting idea. That needs testing in Hotseat mode so you can see what that looks like from the other side.