How about a Kickstarted-funded Tunisia module?

jurpo

Just a thought: I'd like to have some nice Tunisia scenarios and campaigns, like probably some other readers of this forum would.

Assuming a Tunisia module could be created with minimal code additions to CMFI and the work would be mostly about new 3D models (buildings, landscape objects) and uniform/vehicle textures as well as map and scenario design, BF could easily contract the work from some 3rd party if they have the money. That's what they already do for the artwork, isn't it?

So why not make a Kickstarter project to see how much interest there would be and whether the funding would reach the amount BF would need to make such a module a low-risk (or even zero-risk) venture?

Unfortunately I think BFs dance card for the foreseeable future is pretty full.

Yeah, that's why I suggested something where the bulk of the grunt work could be outsourced to a modeling/graphics shop. The 3.0 engine already has so many features that I can't immediately think what major coding would be needed for Tunisia '43 -- if we can live without multi-turreted tanks for the time being that is :)

Of course BFC would need to do quality control -- I know from first hand experience how subcontractors work -- and perhaps minor engine adjustments, but having the money needed up front via Kickstarter would mean more freedom of movement for them in financial terms, even if it doesn't buy more man-hours per week for them directly. At least financially their existing projects wouldn't be disrupted.

Unfortunately I think BFs dance card for the foreseeable future is pretty full. They seem to be awfully busy with the items they already have in the pipeline. Who knows though, they could always surprise us.

Do you know what they are working on at the moment? Is it more content for one of the other Combat Mission games?

Do you know what they are working on at the moment? Is it more content for one of the other Combat Mission games?

Steve posts about the road map from time to time and many of us who read regularly have it in our heads. A few volunteer testers occasionally know more specifics but cannot comment - obviously. I'll stick to comments from the boss himself (specifically points two and four). Also read the whole thread there is lots of good stuff and mostly fun discussion:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/archive/index.php/t-112852.html

Here is the most relevant post to your quetion:

Thanks guys! A couple of quick comments:

1. No plans to go to 64 bit any time soon. Not sure it's worth the development hit for the performance gain. Partly because we're dubious the gain would be that big of a deal.

2. 2014 will contain a lot of new stuff, including Packs for both Italy and Normandy. Definitely the new Modern era game and probably the second Western Front Family (Oct 44 - May 45)

3. Yup, the bones described so far are very good ones. But not necessarily all the best ones. Always depends on personal preference :D

4. Initial timeframe for the first Eastern Front release is June - Sept 1944. It will expand from there until the end of the war.

Steve

I cannot seem to find the announcement of the modern game (not sure what is wrong with my Google fu this morning - must be electronic warfare) which takes place in Ukraine and is being referred to as Black Sea.

So from above you can see that they have the following in the works (not necessarily in this order):

• New modern game set in Ukraine - Black Sea
  • Next western front game taking place around the Bulge
  • A pack for Fortress Italy
  • A pack for battle for Normandy
  • The first module for Red Thunder

Oh good, they can spend the money they will raise through Kickstarter on something else interesting then :)

Though I have to comment that the thread you linked to is mostly ancient history -- most posts are several months old -- and there isn't much of 2014 left anymore to deliver all the promised goodies.

I guess BFC wouldn't be BFC if they tweeted every time they made a test build, but would be nice to hear something every now and then. Like an announcement of pre-orders opening soon?

Though I have to comment that the thread you linked to is mostly ancient history -- most posts are several months old -- and there isn't much of 2014 left anymore to deliver all the promised goodies.

I guess BFC wouldn't be BFC if they tweeted every time they made a test build, but would be nice to hear something every now and then. Like an announcement of pre-orders opening soon?

Well the Eastern Front game has been released. It's called Red Thunder. That just leaves Packs for CMFI and CMBN, the Modern game, and possibly the 2nd western front game.

But, you're right, It's late September, so I doubt it will all get done this year.

Consulting my Magic 8 Ball, I predict the following releases before December 31, 2014:

(1) Black Sea

(2) A "Pack" for either CMBN or CMFI

In addition I predict a (free) patch for CMRT, CMFI & CMBN.

Geez all they have to add is a mosque from Shock Force-and some new palm trees. Few Uniforms -vehicles from F.I. and it's a done deal. :rolleyes:

Thought about this the other days They got the parts (except the uniforms) how hard could it be?

I'd definitely buy it.

Here's an idea-release an SDK to some trusted-long time players let them come up with something. Compile-serve.

I got to do all the thinking around here?:cool:

• New modern game set in Ukraine - Black Sea
  • Next western front game taking place around the Bulge
  • The first module for Red Thunder

Sounds great!

I only own FI + GL... what would be the next game in the series I should buy? What would you recommend?

Well you cannot really go wrong. Pick the game that interests you the most. I currently have all three WWII games and am currently playing one PBEM from CMFI, one from CMBN and five from CMRT. So, at the moment I guess I am most interested in CMRT but that is just because it just came out.

Well you cannot really go wrong. Pick the game that interests you the most. I currently have all three WWII games and am currently playing one PBEM from CMFI, one from CMBN and five from CMRT. So, at the moment I guess I am most interested in CMRT but that is just because it just came out.

Probably be Red Thunder then for me, but I would have loved it to be based around the 1941/1942 .. I just find it more interesting to play around with the early war stuff where the armour isnt too powerful.

A France 1940 or Desert 1941/42 would also be great!

I don't think there will ever be a North Africa module for Fortress Italy. I think North Africa will be an entirely new family if they ever do it. It will probably have to wait until the Bulge and Kursk families are well underway so we're talking years from now in my estimation.

I doubt that funding is the bottleneck of CM development, I guess the point is simply that there is only the brain in the jar and a co programmer to create CM games, and you can't simply buy new programmers to handle an existing code.

Anyway, I would gladly spend some money if it would help to release more CM games.

• 6 months later...

I like the idea and would contribute as well. Personally I think that there are so many exciting time periods that they could do. My personal wish is for them to make a CM game based around 1985 with a war between NATO and the Warsaw Pact. I would also very much like to see a game covering operation Torch and the following campaign for North Africa (with an expansion covering Monty and his Desert Rats) as well as a game/expansion covering the beginning of the war on the Eastern Front. 

In short, most everyone here would agree with you in wanting more games/expansions covering more time periods. It is a testament to how fantastic these games (calling them games feels almost insulting. They really are top quality sims) really are. 

That was a lot of blabber so I'll summarize by saying, yes. If a kickstarter would allow BF to produce more games faster at the same (or better if even possible) quality then I am all for it!

<snip> My personal wish is for them to make a CM game based around 1985 with a war between NATO and the Warsaw Pact. <snip>  

YES!! :D  The moders would probably be able to make many spin off type scenarios once they had the basic 1980s NATO and Warsaw Pact TOE.  The Falklands, Grenada, Panama, maybe Iran vs. Iraq (guess you would need arid terrain) any number of small brush wars ................      

@Jurpo

Can you take the lead and start a Tunisia Mod? Just a normal style mod not a BFC product.

This link here is pure chutzpah. sdp (Michael) cracked out an Italian mod to CMBN.

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/98227-released-the-italian-campaign-mod/?hl=italy

Then we are all knocked flat on our a$$es when BFC releases out of the blue it seems to me, CMFI.

Does my memory fail me? Anybody else agree? OUT OF THE BLUE!

Maybe I was not listening to Steve's "Christmas bone" posts. It sure seemed out of the blue to me.

Edited by kohlenklau

@Jurpo

Can you take the lead and start a Tunisia Mod? Just a normal style mod not a BFC product.

This link here is pure chutzpah. sdp (Michael) cracked out an Italian mod to CMBN.

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/98227-released-the-italian-campaign-mod/?hl=italy

Then we are all knocked flat on our a$$es when BFC releases out of the blue it seems to me, CMFI.

Does my memory fail me? Anybody else agree? OUT OF THE BLUE!

Maybe I was not listening to Steve's "Christmas bone" posts. It sure seemed out of the blue to me.

Yeah as I recall no one saw that coming. In fact I think that was when I became a beta tester. Maybe that is subconsciously why I like that title so much :D

If I recall Steve alluded to a big surprise and only one person on the forum actually considered it might be Italy.

Seriously it still ranks as one of my favorites, but I am jazzed about Bulge. Still remember when the HASL modules came out for KG Peiper. 2D maps and they were works of art. Be curious to see what we can do in CM. Damn it is a great time to be a gamer.

I am also very excited and enjoying this hobby more than ever.

My post was meant to try to energize some folks to do some creating and formulating because you never know what might trickle out of the sky.

Like Tempestxxx said, we have most of the stuff now and in a small scale objective would only need a few things. 

The folks who care can/should get cracking and make the lists to decide what those things are. :D