Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Historical & ASL conversions

Along the lines of the previous post about historical and ahistorical scenarios...

How "accurate" or historically correct (in terms of dates, OOB, and aftermath) are the ASL scenarios ??? I fall on the historical scenario "side of the fence," and wonder how realistic ASL's orders of battle and info is??

Just out of curiousity, Anyone have a clue??

Later, Stoner

Guest L Tankersley

I believe that all official "published" ASL scenarios were historically based (i.e. no hypothetical engagements). I assume that the dates and the "situation" and "aftermath" are adapted from historical sources. As people have pointed out, though, there just isn't a whole lot of information about most small engagements on this scale. In most cases, I think the OB for ASL scenarios is just a guess. Plus even when there is some historical evidence for certain OB elements, they often will get modified for play balance or other purposes. ASL scenarios are more about capturing the general "flavor" of an engagement than a historically-accurate representation.

Leland J. Tankersley

Guest kip anderson

David,

I can not talk for the OOBs but the maps in HALS are spot on, some of them anyway. In Kampfgruppe Peiper one of the maps covers a village called Stoumont. I walked round Stoumont last December and the map in Kampfgruppe Peiper and the actual village are the same in every detail. I should state at this point that the Ardennes is a National Park and therefor houses have only been constructed where old ones where destroyed. There has been no real NEW developement.

Hope I have been of help,

Kip.

------------------

Guest Big Time Software

Our testers have converted a few ASL scenarios over to CM with mixed results in terms of game balancing. ASL has some serious errors with weapons effects (especially mortars/artillery) and some big booboos in terms of TO&E. So keep this in mind if you are going to convert scenarios.

Steve