Zawiya Uprising

I am now on the 7th mission of this campaign. I just had to post what a terrific campaign this is and how much I am enjoying it. Every mission has been different with a different character and challenges.

I really like the fact that many missions seem to be on parts of the same map, so one feels there is a progression - rather like the way Operations worked in CM1.

The mix of units is terrific. You get everything from conscript and green religious factions, Regular and Veteran Mercenaries thru Veteran and Crack (even at least one Elite) Para and Special Forces units. You get to operate every soft "technical" vehicle available armed with MG's, HMG's, AA guns and Recoilless... And of course there are the awesome BMP3's and T-72's with a variety of arty and even occasional air support. So, far I have even had a Shilka. :)

A major aspect of what makes a scenario great is when you can have lost of "micro-battles" occurring all over a large map, and you have to decide which ones to reinforce or back away from in order to accomplish the overall objectives. Every mission in this campaign has been lovingly designed that way.

And with all the amazing UNCON mods available, this scenario, while about Libya, easily looks like a scenario about Syrian or Iraqi govt forces fighting ISIS. Excellent effort by this designer.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally completed this xnt campaign. Really good fun for all the reasons I have mentioned before. While it's supposed to be Libya with the mods available you could easily make it in Iraq or Syria, or even pretend you are Soviets in Afghanistan I suppose.

It's not a hard campaign. However, while it has significant challenges, it is forgiving of serious errors - so few reasons to restart. This is an xnt campaign if you are looking for enjoyable missions that you win first time thru. (I hate scenarios where you have to play em a few times to figure out the "trick" to winning.) So also good for a newbie or for training tactics.

Or, you can make your own challenge to suffer as few casualties as possible (which is the way I like to play).

I would like to congratulate the designer... But, his name doesn't appear in the briefings and I guess he doesn't frequent these forums any more. :(

I would like to congratulate the designer... But, his name doesn't appear in the briefings and I guess he doesn't frequent these forums any more. :(

IIRC i ve seen Mr.X (that is the designers name) posting in the CMRT section recently, you ll find him there maybe.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...
4 hours ago, Erwin said:

Many years since I played it.  But, re the briefing etc. list what units are depicted in the game.  Then one can find the relevant mod.  Hopefully all works with CMSF2 engine.

Basically it's using Syrian and Unconventional units. I'm using Sahrani Liberation Army mod for the Syrians, but not entirely sure it depicts North African soldiers correctly, I just like their looks haha 

3 minutes ago, Erwin said:

I use a hodgepodge of "Mord's Mixed combatants", "Syrian Realism mod", "unconventional", "ISIS fighters", "Talibans" etc.

From what I see on the news, the uncon forces feature a complete hodgepodge of what they wear as well.

Would you send me a dropbox of these files, so I can see what you have? I might use something from you, also I found somewhere that you were requesting a silhouette mod that features ranges for weapons, did you find it? Sorry for going off-topic.

2 hours ago, jatmi026 said:

Would you send me a dropbox of these files, so I can see what you have? I might use something from you, also I found somewhere that you were requesting a silhouette mod that features ranges for weapons, did you find it? Sorry for going off-topic.

Sorry, I saw just now that this is in SF1 forums... I am playing the SF2 version, btw.....

Yes, me 2.  Most, (but not all) CMSF1 mods work in CMSF2.  I am about to travel abroad so busy packing.  If you have a dropbox, I can try and upload some folders b4 I leave.

But most should be on Booties CMMODS/FGM site.

Edited by Erwin

Hi, 

as the designer of this campaign I would be very interested in, if this stuff is still playable with SF 2 ? Any report is very appreciated 👍

When I read that Paper Tiger is redoing his former campaigns, I thought about doing the same with the "Zawiya Uprising". 

At the moment I am in the middle of the work for the Red Thunder Battle Pack, but may be after about 35 single missions at the Eastfront I will 

need a change of environment 😉

Regards 

Mr.X

9 minutes ago, Mr.X said:

Hi, 

as the designer of this campaign I would be very interested in, if this stuff is still playable with SF 2 ? Any report is very appreciated 👍

When I read that Paper Tiger is redoing his former campaigns, I thought about doing the same with the "Zawiya Uprising". 

At the moment I am in the middle of the work for the Red Thunder Battle Pack, but may be after about 35 single missions at the Eastfront I will 

need a change of environment 😉

Regards 

Mr.X

Playing it right now, one of the best campaigns I ever played, so much attention to detail, from windows on buildings to street rubble, to playability overall, good job!

8 minutes ago, Mr.X said:

Oh, thank you 👍 nice to hear...may be, one day I make another red vs red campaign...

Regards

Mr.Xi

I hope so! I'd really love to see French legion or generally French forces in Africa, Mali example or Wagner group in Africa, it wouldn't be red vs red and it'd certainly require modding, so I'm not sure if it's doable. But these are justy wishes. Best regards! ☺️

2 hours ago, jatmi026 said:

Playing it right now, one of the best campaigns I ever played, so much attention to detail, from windows on buildings to street rubble, to playability overall, good job!

Totally agree.  My favorite Red vs Red campaign..  Very playable, can't recall any frustrations and great fun.  Would love to see it updated.

5 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Totally agree.  My favorite Red vs Red campaign..  Very playable, can't recall any frustrations and great fun.  Would love to see it updated.

One big + also is that it's not coverting the usual topics of SF2 like Afghanistan, Syria and Iraq. Basically it takes us to a new continent where many wars have been fought, but little to none of them covered in a computer game, Sierra Leone, Boko Haram,...

1 hour ago, jatmi026 said:

One big + also is that it's not coverting the usual topics of SF2 like Afghanistan, Syria and Iraq. Basically it takes us to a new continent where many wars have been fought, but little to none of them covered in a computer game, Sierra Leone, Boko Haram,...

What In the conflict ravaged former British Colony of Sierra Leone, on 25 August 2000, a R IRISH patrol was captured by the West Side Boys. The patrol members were held hostages in Gberi Bana North of the Rokel Creek. In response to the crisis, the UK launched Operation BARRAS deploying both D Squadron 22 SAS and A Company 1 PARA to recover the hostages and defeat the West Side Boys.

This scenario recreates A Company 1 PARA’s clearance of Magbeni on 10 September 2000 and is based on an account written by Major Lowe, the company commander in the British Army’s Tropical Operations Manual.

https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-shock-force-2-2/cm-shock-force-2-scenarios/op-barras-cmsf-2/ 

Above is a scenario set in Sierra Leone.

10 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

What In the conflict ravaged former British Colony of Sierra Leone, on 25 August 2000, a R IRISH patrol was captured by the West Side Boys. The patrol members were held hostages in Gberi Bana North of the Rokel Creek. In response to the crisis, the UK launched Operation BARRAS deploying both D Squadron 22 SAS and A Company 1 PARA to recover the hostages and defeat the West Side Boys.

This scenario recreates A Company 1 PARA’s clearance of Magbeni on 10 September 2000 and is based on an account written by Major Lowe, the company commander in the British Army’s Tropical Operations Manual.

https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-shock-force-2-2/cm-shock-force-2-scenarios/op-barras-cmsf-2/ 

Above is a scenario set in Sierra Leone.

Nice one, I like that scenery vibe!