Help with Strategy / Tactics

I am a bit new to this game and am struggling with how to play it properly. I have all of the CM Normandy modules upgraded to 3.0

Looking for any kind of help and advice on how to properly use my units and how to attack or defend. Seems like there is a lot to take in with regards to tactics and strategy but am willing to learn.

So any help with basic or intermediate tutorials that help to learn how to play this game.

Cheers

Zenith... Another thing that you might like to keep in mind. All the threads that have ever been posted about the game are still available to view, so any problems that you have either technical, or tactical, should have been discussed on here previously.

Also, if you play in turn-based mode. Use the replay facility as often as you like. If you are taking casualties, and can't work out why at first viewing, just watch it again and again, changing the camera's elevation or rotation, and you should find the answer.

Are you ever going to post a video of Mission 3 from the Nijmegen Campaign? I'd like to see how you handle it.

I actually have all the footage recorded but I need a spare hour to go through and do the voice-over. Its not ideal as I may have forgotten a couple of things but it was back when I couldn't record with the new mic while playing at the same time.

Mission 4 will be easier to make a video from.

I found that when I went from real time to we-go I suddenly got somewhat better. The first time I had a battle suddenly end with a major victory I was momentarily surprised - then quickly switch to 'I meant to do that' mode.

I'm happily still pretty bad at this game, but learning. Usually fun, occasionally very frustrated!

2nd mission in the first US campaign - attacking across a mined bridge has me stumped. Enemy has ATG's, MG's and a good supply of artillery. I can't figure out how to find ATG's other than the hard way (trade a tank or two). Enemy counter battery fire KO's my on board mortars if I don't move them often. Smoke is helping with the mine clearing on the bridge - but my pour soldiers are getting slaughtered by lucky artillery rounds - even when I try to spread them out.

Anyone have an AAR for this round of the campaign (sorry I can't remember the name)? I'd love to see how someone actually good at this game handles the situation.

I think that is actually the 2nd mission from the Third US campaign "Courage and Fortitude". The mission called School of Hard Knocks? If so, then I got my arse/ass (delete as applicable) kicked playing that one. I wouldn't mind knowing how to get through it too. I've seen a clip from this on youtube but, I haven't found an AAR of the whole mission.

School of Hard Knocks has been the subject of a thread or three around here. As you'd expect, there is more than one way to skin the cat.

But, very briefly, from what you've said, Atago, a few hints:

It's very dark early on. Germans can't see well in the dark. Something that's not entirely obvious from just looking at the screen...

Infantry assets are more important as eyes than boots or guns.

You can keep ahead of the TRPed mortars covering the bridge, if you time it right and don't hang about.

The AI won't shoot arty missions into areas it can't see, even if that's just because of smoke. Don't neglect the smoke dischargers on the Shermans.

Peter' date=' if you do get around to doing the voice-over for Mission 3 I'd certainly like to see it. In my opinion, I think that the designer was a bit kind to the Germans. Although that could be sour grapes on my part given how tough I found it.[/quote']

Don't worry I plan on doing it today (fingers crossed)! I also found it a real tough slog, I think its designed to be that way so any further advances up Hells Highway are made with less than 100% of your original force.

In any case as I was told not to worry about losing my armour compared to losing my infantry I used Pete Doctrine. That being anything wheeled gets charged into enemy positions to reveal them and soak up their fire, thus depleting their munitions and allowing my infantry to win. Surprisingly this kind of worked. Albeit with severe damage to my vehicles.

But, very briefly, from what you've said, Atago, a few hints:

It's very dark early on. Germans can't see well in the dark. Something that's not entirely obvious from just looking at the screen...

Infantry assets are more important as eyes than boots or guns.

You can keep ahead of the TRPed mortars covering the bridge, if you time it right and don't hang about.

The AI won't shoot arty missions into areas it can't see, even if that's just because of smoke. Don't neglect the smoke dischargers on the Shermans.

Interesting. The enemy seems to be able to see and call down artillery on my tanks for example - right at the start point (learned not to leave them there very long). I suspect that the AI plan in this mission has pre-planned fire here and there. I'll have to try to keep hidden more.

My strategy which sort of works - send split squads forward across the bridge to identify enemy foxholes/positions. Send some forward to 'find' the mines. Hate this, I know they're there but engineers can't mark them until someone finds them the hard way (true?)

I try to bring fire down on the foxholes - with some success, though enemy counter battery fire is lethal to my mortars. I've learned to fire them a while then scoot to somewhere else. Improved my odds.

The ATG's are the issue - my 5 Shermans can flush them, but usually at the cost of 2-3 of them. Once spotted, they're history - though they are pretty survivable and surprise - still there (and there goes another tank) sometimes.

So far that's as far as I've gone. I have tanks forward, ATG's all apparently dead. Trying to clear mines so I can move armor across the bridge. Lots of MG's on my side, but if I bring them up to suppress - fire from the sky again.

Maybe I should not play in 'newbie mode' - I'd gladly take a hit in my artillery speed if the enemy is degraded too. On the attack I move around, enemy defenses are static so a little longer to call down hurt on them is acceptable.

Spoiler question, sorta - the briefing says ground is damp. What is the risk to my tanks? I'm leery of moving them off the road too much - stuck tanks are almost as useless as KO'd ones.

The ATG's are the issue - my 5 Shermans can flush them, but usually at the cost of 2-3 of them.

Dont know if this is considered gamey but get some eyes (wih binos) up front and use one Sherman to scout by dashing out of cover and moving back. These ATG are firing at great distance. Chances are you might not loose a tank.

Have to admit I gave up on this one because the barbed wire on the bridge was bringing me to tears. Perhaps I am the wrong guy to give good advise.

Dont know if this is considered gamey but get some eyes (wih binos) up front and use one Sherman to scout by dashing out of cover and moving back. These ATG are firing at great distance. Chances are you might not loose a tank.

Have to admit I gave up on this one because the barbed wire on the bridge was bringing me to tears. Perhaps I am the wrong guy to give good advise.

Not too bad of an idea, I guess. Gamey or not - if it works. Problem is now I know there are 3 of them and where they are (frustrated cease fires). I really want to know a 'real world' tactic that would work to find an ATG other than based on brewing up Sherman tanks. If they're close my infantry can often spot them.

Maybe we-go isn't the best bet for finding ATG's. I have a minute where I cant give them new orders. If I could move them out and wave my Lilly white @$$ at the ATG's then scoot when they open up, that may work better than waiting a minute for the We-go to finish.

I had my engineer blast the wire on their way across to mark mines.

I think a real world WWII tactics would be called "recon by explosion" preferably done by an armored car and not a sherman.

I dont know what i did wrong with my engineers but they blew up anything but the wire. I utterly failed to remove all of the wire from the bridge. :(

Edit: Scouting worked, spotted two guns without a hit.

I think a real world WWII tactics would be called "recon by explosion" preferably done by an armored car and not a sherman.

I dont know what i did wrong with my engineers but they blew up anything but the wire. I utterly failed to remove all of the wire from the bridge. :(

Edit: Scouting worked, spotted two guns without a hit.

One of my engineering sections set to blow the wire apparently found an anti-tank mine. I don't know exactly what happened but the wire and the engineering team were all gone/dead in one very surprising kaboom.

If the ATG's would fire at infantry more (sorry infantry guys) I would like it. The AI is typically smart enough not to divulge the ATG location without a good target. In this case I think the ATG's are set with an armor only arc - seems like it anyway based on their behavior.