New file at the Repository: Rescuing Mussolini.rar (2014-09-04)

On July 24, 1943, at a tumultuous meeting led by his son-in-law Galeazzo Ciano, Mussolini was put under arrest by traitors in the Fascist Grand Council, in agreement with the King. We know he is now held captive in the Italian central Apennines, at Campo Imperatore inside a recently built ski hotel at over 2000 meters on the sea level.Any ground operations are out of the question. There is only one road up the mountain and the woods and hills in the approach area are infested with communist partisans and Italian units loyal to the King. The only viable solution is by airborne force, using DSF-230 gliders.MISSIONOperation OakYou will lead 2 platoons (-) of crack fallschirmjaegers and some SS troops in an assault on the hotel to free Mussolini. Your mission is to immediately capture the hotel and secure the prisoner. The Italian guards are under orders to kill Mussolini on sight if a German attack materializes. This must not happen. The Fuhrer needs him for the war effort.After securing the target, you will capture the Upper Cable Car station. Exfiltration Plan A is to take the cable car back down the valley where friendly forces are awaiting us to swiftly transfer Mussolini to German held ground. Securing the Landing Zone is essential too, as Exfiltration Plan B requires the intervention of Fi-156 Storchs if the lower cable car station falls into enemy hands. Do not mind friendly casualties. We are prepared to take at least 80% casualties. Though, beware, no enemy forces mu...

More...

It may be me, but when I entered the 3-sectional building where Mussolini was housed I was never able to enter the middle section of the building and get to the same room/level that Mussolini was being held. There was no access anywhere to enter this section of this tri-plex building. I thought I was supposed to take control of him and eventually remove him from this building? Either way I played it once and spent the whole time trying to find access to his floor etc and take out the soldier that was guarding him but I never could gain that access I needed. I lost eventually most of my units from the INF outside this building and from the second building before the time expired. I tried assaulting the second building and that resulted in me never entering that building before getting killed for my efforts. I tried to be initially sneaky with my initial units but some of the subsequent arriving glider units first appeared out in the open in the LOS of the enemy units inside the Mussolini building and the fight was on with no more sneakiness on my part to be had!

So it looks like you did pretty well and managed to rescue him. Well done! I needed some 17 tries (sic!) before I could free the main hotel. Never managed to get to the cable car station.

But as the briefing says, you should not evacuate or move Mussolini. He is nothing more than a flavor object in this scenario. If you try to do so he gets immediately killed. That is why there are no doors to his rooms (the Allied soldiers would inevitably find him after a couple of turns).

• 4 months later...