What is it about Combat Mission games?

I'm having so much enjoyment with the CM series. After playing the FI demo a while back it prompted me to buy the WWII series of games and modules.

Have to say I'm enjoying the FI/GL and CMBN/CW/MG games more than RT at the moment :)

The games, when modded to hell with all bells and whistles is pretty outstanding. I like the fact it simply reminds me of all the tactical doctrine that was rammed into my head when I was a soldier, and which I in turn used to teach to others for many years...

WWII has always been a favourite subject, and the attention to detail, the planning involved, especially the getting down to ground level and looking at the terrain from the soldiers point of view and perspective before I make any decision, is something I love.

The ability to use mortars and artillery, the use and importance of keeping a comms link, LOS, the weather and terrain, just some of the things to keep checking before pressing that 'red' button, is pretty much keeping me enthralled, and will continue to do so :)

Was testing a scenario last night. It has a battalion force on my side advancing through woods. So in the midst of moving this pile of troops (as opposed to troops with piles, lots more grumbling there) I take a few rounds from an unknown source. Eventually my guys ID an enemy team and Lo and behold they have a radio. Not wanting to get stonked I immediately start hunting them. Took about 4 turns. I had a marksman team parallel them on the ridge line above and a couple teams to lay down suppressive fire across the intervening stream and another team to act as "beaters". Worked like a charm, the radio guy eventually broke cover to retreat and the marksman took him out.

It just blows me away how many things BF has to get right for that to work and between the pixeltruppen movement, tac AI response and the very nicely done map to all come together in something so immersive that moving the battalion was a distraction, I wanted to watch this little side unit action.

^^^

The stunning reality, coupled with the detail and side-stories, bound with a wrapping which allows camera control and rewinding, gives this series incredible entertainment value. The combination of control and chaos, with lifelike decisions, makes this a world given to immersion.

found about cm series recently myself and after some trials i went for FI:GL. Indeed immens game. too bad you cant rewind the whole battle with all units after the battle is gone. only thing i really miss atm.

on the side note, OP mentions mods, i did download some sound mods but thats about it. i know where to find them, but trying all is too much. any suggestions on mods or thread that sums the best ones?

When all the elements come together Combat Mission has no peers. If you have the right system, the right mods and understand how to play the game its beyond belief. If there is something comparable that is better I'd like to know

I restarted campaigns in Italy, Market Garden and Normandy and I'm still blown away. There are campaigns and battles I've never opened and h2h is the best.

I just got a new Nvidia video card. It looked great with my old ATI video card, but it really looks nice with the new card.

All that said and done, its not something with mass appeal. Its not designed or marketed to the lowest common denominator. If you're not familiar with WW2, weapon systems and tactics it can be frustrating and if you're not willing to put the time and effort into it you'll probably not stick with it.

I still avoid the bigger scenarios, mainly anything above company level. Too many icons scare me with their daunting turn times for orders etc.

That being said the CM series is (apart from M&B Warband & Arma) my very favourite series of games. I wish you could replay the whole battle at the end, but that is a minor niggle when your perfect one up two down bounding assault works perfectly..

The main draw of the CM series is remember back when there *wasn't* a CM series. Back then, if we were history buffs or modelers, we'd have a fantasy *ultimate computer battle sim* in our heads that we'd dream of playing. 3-D, realtime, true ballistics and ranges and specs, actual historical equipment, individual soldiers, etc.. Though we knew it would be impossible for anyone to ever build such a game. and if they did it would probably cost a fortune. :);)

I still avoid the bigger scenarios, mainly anything above company level. Too many icons scare me with their daunting turn times for orders etc.

That being said the CM series is (apart from M&B Warband & Arma) my very favourite series of games. I wish you could replay the whole battle at the end, but that is a minor niggle when your perfect one up two down bounding assault works perfectly..

The bigger ones actually flow better, IMO, than smaller ones. Spend some time coming up with a plan. (My favorite? ATTACK! ;) ) Assign sub-groups to each element of the plan. Company A, secure the hill. Company B, pass to the right of the hill after A emplaced on it. Company C, 15 minutes after B goes right, goes left. Once you have the general scheme of maneuver, the first turn orders may take a little while, but then every following turn flows; there is a rhythm which your initial plan institutes.

The benefit is that a single tactical "oops" (signified by pixeltruppen laying about) doesn't mean you've lost the battle. Plus, you won't complain about the designer restricting your battlespace.

Oh, and as Lanzfeld posted, chicks dig CM players. Chicks dig big-game CM players more. ;)

...tactical "oops" (signified by pixeltruppen laying about)...

"Oops", Ken? I thought that sort of "groundpounders stacked like cordwood" was part of your plan for you to magnanimoulsy allow your pTruppen to achieve their ultimate ambition and die in your service, providing a more mettle-testing challenge for their less dedicated comrades to overcome, by reducing the resources availalbe to meet it...

Very true. Once the ammo carriers have absorbed the enemy's munitions, the ammo and weapons they've brought forward are available for others. Their bodies provide convenient cover, as well. One added bonus is that their demise reduces the burden on my logistics at the very time that they've used up logistics that the enemy has so painstakingly brought forward. You're right: their bodies are not indicative of a mistake, but, rather, they mark the trail towards victory!! ;)

That approach also had the added benefit of ridding society of, well, let's just say it's similar to one sweeping the crumbs of the table, shall we? Some port with your cigar? I must make the time to wrangle an invitation from you to visit your stables, what?

Right you are old boy. Why it's good for the lower classes you know, too many mouths to feed after all. Quite right. Yes a glass would do nicely old chap. Why I was just hearing the other day of some poor sod stuffing donuts in his helmet. True he was American, but after all they are all from the lower classes anyway. Probably pilfered them I should say.