New Mission - Into the Green

Hi,Combatintman,

By a stroke of luck, I have just seen your post. I do not understand how I missed it. Being mostly abroad in September and moving quite a lot ever since might be the reason and probably the fact that I have made another CMRT scenario, "East Prussia Defence" and kept focused on CMRT forum.

It is too bad, I would have been happy to test it, like You did earlier with proficiency with my earlier CMRT scenario.

Yours seems very promising and I shall play it as soon as I shall have reinstalled CMSF. I have had a virus warning and the exe was removed by avast and had not found the time to reinstall it on my desktop.

Take care,

Edited by snake_eye

Things like the virus are always striking twice or it looks like now, that. I have had the same on my laptop. All the patches were infected by a win32 malware (or adware) - gen 

So I have no chance, Combatintman, to play your scenario before knowing what went on. The biggest problem was that the exe was put on quarantine and if it was a false virus alert like it happens sometimes, I just have now to reinstall it. Basic, addons, patches  and so on. Even the desinstall exe was put on quarantine !

Well I shall do it in 2015 and meanwhile I wish you all a Merry Xmas

Edited by snake_eye

I have retrieved the exe from the quarantine folder and since it is a virus positive I have been able to start Cmsf on my desktop, but not on the laptop (both have Avast). ???

So that will allow me to start the battle soon and tell you about.

Merry Xmas to you Karl.

Edited by snake_eye

• 4 weeks later...

////////////////////////POSSIBLE SPOILER  ALERT/////////////////////////////

Below are some screen shots and comments on the “Into the Green” scenario.

I don’t think I included anything that would be considered actionable intelligence about this scenario.  However that can sometimes be subjective so I included the spoiler alert just in case.   

This scenario was designed by Combatintman, who is a veteran scenario designer, and his expertise clearly shows through in this scenario which is based in Helmand Province Afghanistan.   

The book, "Into the Green" is a good read and combined with this scenario lends to a better understanding of the conditions and tactical problems faced by 2nd Para during their time in Helmand Province Afghanistan.  When I read the book I sometimes thought what if they would have tried to maneuver this way or used that tactic or done this differently.  This scenario allows you the opportunity to try out your tactical ideas, in Helmand Province, for better or worse.     

The scenario puts you in charge of B Company 2nd Para complete with an Operational Mentor Liaison Team (OMLT) and an Afghan National Army (ANA) platoon.  You get to lead this force out of the gates of the FOB and Into the Green.  The map is BIG and is a close approximation to the type of terrain 2nd Para fought in.  If you like infantry battles and maneuvering sections (squads) and fire teams you will be in your element with this.

View from the Chinook helicopter on the approach to Forward Operating Base Alma (Inkerman in the book).  Welcome to Helmand Province Afghanistan.  Notice the Green of “Into the Green” on the right of the photo.  At the end of the scenario will the Green be red with the blood of the OpFor or with the blood of your command?  A sobering thought.  In any case it will get bloody.      

CMSFIntotheGreenAO_zps00607dec.jpg

A closer look at Forward Operating Base (FOB) Alma as the Chinook makes a rapid decent, leaving a trail of chaff, as the missile warning systems blare. 

CMSFGreenFOBFar_zps84deaf7e.jpg

Your home for the next six months commander. Good luck with that.  Also notice how the helicopter landing site is marked using terrain tiles in the editor during the scenario design process.  An example of the thought and attention to detail that went into this scenario.  

CMSFGreenFOBClose_zpscdf61312.jpg

The point man crosses the line of departure and heads out Into the Green. “The very first man in this whole snake that will weave its way out into the green zone and actively hunt out the enemy……….That lone soldier is the bravest man I ever met”.  From the book Company Commander by Major Russell Lewis MC, 2 Para. 

CMSFPoint_zpsbb18fda0.jpg

Afghanistan National Army (ANA) in action.  The OMLT is proud of their understudies.   

CMSFGreenANA_zps86a4ad04.jpg

CMSFGreenANAGrenade_zpsb74dd2bd.jpg

And the Green gets a little more red.

CMSFGreenTracer_zps6126ec79.jpg

I am many turns into the scenario and will post additional screen shots / comments as RL allows.     

Edited by MOS:96B2P

MOS062BP: Thanks for posting these - although I'm not sure I fit the description of 'veteran designer'. It is quite interesting even though I know the map and scenario so well to try and work out where some of these were taken.

I really hope that you enjoy the scenario - although you may not enjoy total success first time out.  I must admit that I had heaps of fun designing it and of all my scenarios I think it is the first one that I have managed to get right in terms of balance and VPs.

Anyway - the best outcome for everyone is that this has motivated me to crack on with the 'M' Wadis scenario.

• 4 weeks later...

Good to see you persevering - are you at any of the target compounds yet?

Yes, two sections of 5th Platoon arrived at the west wall of suspect compound #3 last turn.  They are securing the area outside the west wall prior to calling engineers forward.  The engineers are waiting in an irrigation ditch 50 meters away.  When they are called forward the engineers will make another doorway to the future as in the above screenshots.  The above three screenshots, of the dynamic building entry, were taken at compound A123.  (A122 suffered a similar fate).     

////////////////////////////// SPOILER ALERT //////////////////////////////////////////

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Objective: Suspect Compound #3 located.

CMSFObjCompound3_zps8fb7a0be.jpg

I think I may have figured out how best to maneuver in this terrain.  It was slow going at first.  I was reluctant to leave any unsecured compound behind my units or close to my flanks.  I was clearing every building in every compound along my avenue of advance which is basically the north half of the map with a southern hook on the east end.  That approach cost a lot of time, ammo and lives.  I am being a little more selective in the buildings I secure now.  I am mostly taking buildings in compounds that can over watch & control movement in the irrigation ditches I am using for maneuver.  I have been able to pick up the pace now.  Just under one hour left.  Very cool scenario.     

Interesting read - you have pretty much cracked the nuance of this - clear what you need to clear which boils down to:

Your target compounds.

Compounds offering good overwatch

I suspect your losses will count against you at the final reckoning though.

With an hour left you should have sufficient time to tick off the other two target compounds although you're probably wondering whether you have enough breaching charges left.

SPOILER WARNING

I know this scenario wasn't designed for HtH play, but I couldn't help myself. I fired up the scenario in hotseat and played against myself. While there is no such thing as "balance" in this scenario, I would say that "fun" is to be had in abundance. There were several points where I had set up some good ambushes on the unconventional side, only to have things unravel in the face of the fire superiority of the Blue force. The scenario rapidly devolved into a desperate race to withdraw my combatants into more defensible positions, and to avoid enemy mortars and artillery.

My initial ambush had caused a couple of casualties, but some vagaries in the terrain prevented me from focusing my firepower. Establishing LOS from one ditch to another was frustrating as small undulations in the underlying terrain tended to place the targets I was engaging on reverse slopes. A mortar barrage called in by the British shattered my combatants who promptly routed from the map. Additional combatant teams who had fired on the dismounted Blue forces from rooftop positions were rapidly suppressed and assaulted by over watching vehicles and engineer teams. All in all, my first ambush only succeeded in causing a couple of casualties.

During that ambush, I had moved another combatant group into what I had hoped would be a supporting position. However, the British Mentor team had established a spotter position on the roof of a building, and had observed the movement into the new position. That combatant group barely managed to open fire before being hit with airbursting mortars. They eventually managed to rally, but assault teams were already clearing the ditches before they could recover.

By this point I had realized a problem with the combatants, even when told to target enemy forces, they often refused to open fire. I decided to switch gears, and use the compounds to an advantage. I had managed to withdraw a bunch of combatants from contact, and have now occupied a bunch of buildings in the path of the Blue forces. The idea being to force the British to waste time clearing buildings in order to protect their route of march.

I am about an hour into the scenario, and I'm having a blast trying to plan around my own plans. I had deliberately tried to introduce a "roleplaying" element into my command of the unconventional forces. First, every group acts independently from each other. Second, I simulate the use of non conventional communications (i.e. cell phones) by only issuing orders to one group at a time, and only one group every turn. Third, each individual group only reacts to the contact icons they have, and ignores the overall big picture.

I think this scenario would make an excellent HtH scenario, given that it can fully embrace the asymmetric aspect of the game. The Red force doesn't need to defeat the Blue force, they only need to delay them, and cause a few casualties. It is perfectly acceptable for the Red team to lose every single fighter they have in order to achieve this objective. The best part of it all, all you need to do is paint a big setup area for the Red team, and voila! Into the Green is now a HtH scenario.

Anyway, that's enough of my rambling, I need to get on with playing The Labyrinth. One more thing though, this map easily lends itself to the use of any Blue force in the game, just replace the British troops with someone else. In fact, it might be a good training scenario to compare the differences, and advantages/disadvantages of different Blue forces.

One last thing, this map is absolutely gorgeous! In fact, it would make a damn good quick battle map as well, or maybe I just like operating out of a FOB. There aren't enough FOB's in Combat Mission.

Thanks for the observations SLIM - I only design Blue player vs AI scenarios because I find it too difficult to get force balance and VPs right (this scenario took a lot of testing before I was happy with the VPs and it is one of the reasons why 'M Wadis' is not finished yet). I am thrilled that it is viable as an H2H scenario and that you had fun playing it. Thanks again.

Combatintman, on 26 Feb 2015 - 07:43 AM, said:

I only design Blue player vs AI scenarios because I find it too difficult to get force balance and VPs right.

That's exactly my point, you don't need "force balance" to make a HtH scenario.

Don't thank me, I thank YOU for the time and work to make the scenario, and for making it available.

I'm just glad to see some people still plugging away at Shock Force, it's still one of my favorites.

<Snip>

this map easily lends itself to the use of any Blue force in the game, just replace the British troops with someone else. In fact, it might be a good training scenario to compare the differences, and advantages/disadvantages of different Blue forces.

One last thing, this map is absolutely gorgeous! In fact, it would make a damn good quick battle map as well, or maybe I just like operating out of a FOB. There aren't enough FOB's in Combat Mission.

I had much the same thoughts.  In the book 2 Para rotated duty tours with a Royal Marine unit.  Not sure if Royal Marines are in CMSF TOE but if they are they would be an obvious candidate.  It also might be fun to take a dismounted US Stryker Company out and do the mission.  Or, in a sand box type mode just run platoon size ops out of the FOB.  ie - Clear compound A123 and return to the FOB.  Of course in this sand box type mode the VPs would not work as intended but it would just be for fun.  

I like this FOB concept where you have your core unit and you can take them out the gate to do multiple varied missions.  Maybe create one additional AI plan where the FOB itself would come under a strong attack just to keep the player honest about how much he is taking out the gate.  It would also create some tension knowing it is possible the big one may hit the FOB while you have part of the combat power away on the given mission.  There is a lot of replay value in this scenario and map.              

MOS:96B2P, on 26 Feb 2015 - 10:55 PM, said:

I like this FOB concept where you have your core unit and you can take them out the gate to do multiple varied missions.  Maybe create one additional AI plan where the FOB itself would come under a strong attack just to keep the player honest about how much he is taking out the gate.  It would also create some tension knowing it is possible the big one may hit the FOB while you have part of the combat power away on the given mission.  There is a lot of replay value in this scenario and map.              

I think that would make a good campaign, running successive operations out of a FOB with one core force, and see how many survive until the end of the campaign. We could call it: "The Tour of Duty". Holy crap! I need to learn how to make a campaign!

[Mind Blown!]

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

////////////////////////

/////////////

///////////////

Lucky for me I read and paid attention to my briefing!  This could have been a nasty surprise and have ended up differently.  Some crew

served weapons and remaining arty repel the attack.

CMSF%20Arty%20on%20Tech_zpsgxhr5edm.jpg

Following the attack a section is sent out to conduct Battle Damage Assessment (BDA).  

CMSF%20BDA%20Walk_zpsnjaxqtfb.jpg

Not very many bodies were found.  They must have drug off most of the dead.  A shame about all the wrecked pick-ups.  Silverados would have held up better.

CMSF%20BDA%20Walk%202_zpsn9jdzhqg.jpg

I had much the same thoughts.  In the book 2 Para rotated duty tours with a Royal Marine unit.  Not sure if Royal Marines are in CMSF TOE but if they are they would be an obvious candidate.  It also might be fun to take a dismounted US Stryker Company out and do the mission.  Or, in a sand box type mode just run platoon size ops out of the FOB.  ie - Clear compound A123 and return to the FOB.  Of course in this sand box type mode the VPs would not work as intended but it would just be for fun.  

Royal Marines aren't in CMSF TO&Es - I fought for their inclusion but it was a no go.  At the time they were organised into Close Combat and Standoff Companies although for the Helmand task where a lot of foot patrolling was the norm I suspect that the Coys were put onto a uniform establishment which wouldn't have been that dissimilar to the Light Infantry TO&E that is already in there.  My earlier Afghan missions are mostly about the actions of 3 Cdo Bde and I just used standard Light Infantry units.

As to the FOB concept - I did kick the idea around based on this very map - the trouble is that you have to move the action to avoid having a subsequent campaign mission being fought over the same map. Based on one of the books I read when researching this, the concept would go like this:

Mission 1 - The mission you've just played

Mission 2 - Route security mission for a resupply convoy in the area to the left of FOB ALMA

Mission 3 - Partnered ANA Green Zone patrol in an area extended to the right of CP JUNDI

Mission 4 - Partnered ANA Green Zone patrol in an area extended to the left of FOB ALMA (different to 2 above)

Mission 5 - Mission to locate and return airdropped supplies in the desert (extended area in the direction of the Technicals arrival in the mission you're playing)

Mission 6 - Out of area operation as part of a larger BG operation (in the book this was in the Musa Qal'eh area)

I doubt I'll ever get to realising this due to time constraints.

However I do have a map and a mission revolving around Sangin DC which I am looking at tweaking and kicking out the door.  I also have another mission based on a patrol from a CP which I've been (funnily enough) trying  to get right based on the action in which Lt Evison, 1st Battalion the Welsh Guards lost his life.  Details are here if you're interested:

https://vimeo.com/49190235

As to other thoughts raised by both you and SLIM - the natural swap out would be USMC who took over from the Brits in that part of Helmand during the surge.  I have really wanted to do more USMC missions because they have some good stuff to bring to the party (LAVs and Abrams). I toyed with doing something based on the National Geographic series Battleground Afghanistan which features Golf Company, 2nd Battalion 5th Marines. Actual location details are difficult to work out because the maps on the programme are pretty bland - but they were up in Zamindawar and one of the villages is named. I have a concept for a 7 mission campaign and some areas identified on Google Earth but I just couldn't face the map making ... if only we had the special editor overlay feature in CMSF ... sigh.

Likewise there is scope to do some really interesting stuff with the USMC south of Garmsir.

Of course you could always do US Army and Canadian stuff as well - the obvious US Army one is something based on Restrepo although I didn't fancy it because I find mountains are well in the 'too difficult' basket in the map editor so I would have gone for the Canadians around Kandahar as my first choice (it also means LAVs and Leopard tanks). Again I did do a bit of research on Canadian operations and there is scope to do some of their BG sized operations in the Panjwayi valley.

Trouble is - I've got heaps of ideas but just not the time to do them (I still have an unfinished Iraq War (Op TELIC) campaign and a Helmand Op LOAM campaign sat unfinished on my hard drive).

However I do have a map and a mission revolving around Sangin DC which I am looking at tweaking and kicking out the door.  I also have another mission based on a patrol from a CP which I've been (funnily enough) trying  to get right based on the action in which Lt Evison, 1st Battalion the Welsh Guards lost his life.  Details are here if you're interested:

https://vimeo.com/49190235

The lost platoon.  I only got part way into this video (Internet connection bad today from ice/snow storm) but it looks really interesting.  I will come back to it later.  I see it was made or broadcast by the BBC.  When the videos are running better out here maybe I will see what else they have to watch.  

SPOILER ALERT

//////////

//////////

///////////

//////////

ANA Platoon, with the assistance of engineers, take and clear the final objective.  Objective: Suspect Compound #1.

CMSF%20%20Compound%201_zpsnzpxou6y.jpg

After taking the final objective I waited a few turns and went one minute into the red (extra time) waiting for the game to end.  When it did not end I hit cease fire.  To my surprise I had a Major Victory.  With my casualties I thought I would be lucky to get a tactical victory.  Very nice scenario. CMSF%20%20AAR%201_zpslxohjygh.jpg

CMSF%20AAR%202_zpsvbbcoven.jpg

CMSF%20AAR%203_zpsqwclrwpz.jpg

During the terrain walk, after the battle, I discovered many IEDs laying about the battlefield.  Those had the potential to cause me a lot of problems.  I am sure my units moved over many of them and even went firm next to some.  Such is the luck of battle.

CMSF%20%20IEDs_zpsfzzapxgs.jpg

Also noticed these guys during the AAR terrain walk.  I might have to take another hunting trip.

CMSF%20More%20Tangos_zps6avvfevy.jpg

Very nice scenario.  Highly recommend it.  

Well done - I think you were probably borderline on your friendly casualties - probably one dead guy away from 'failing' that parameter. Reference  the IEDs - they are a pain to get right - usually because the triggermen start spraying rounds rather than detonating the device - needless to say I did test them and got some to work reliably.

I think next time around - now you know not to clear every compound you should stay within the ammo parameter.

• 1 year later...