Now that Red Thunder has Been out for a While

db_zero

How would you rate it in comparison to the other theaters? For me its:

1. Normandy

2. Market Garden

3. Italy

4. Red Thunder

I like Red Thunder and Russia. I just happen to like the other modules better. I know its a matter of taste. I have seen some of my h2h opponents who after we've finished 3 or more games h2h in RT want to go back to Europe. Whether that will change again once more battles come out for RT remains to be seen.

Still I'm very happy with the purchase of Red Thunder and will continue playing it.

Some of the battles h2h seem pretty uneven. The lack of Soviet infantry AT weapons can really put the Russians at a severe disadvantage when the Germans concentrate on killing AT guns and the few tanks if any the Russians may get, knowing that once the AT guns are knocked out they can just keep their tanks distance and have nothing to worry about.

I think CMRT was the best so far "out of the box". But I enjoy playing all of em (including CMSF and CMA). It depends on my mood.

I am disappointed that we only got one Axis and one Allied campaign with CMRT and no user made ones since CMRT came out. (Campaigns are the best way to play imo as one needs to be concerned about ammo, manpower and equipment/vehicle conservation like in RL.)

Maybe it's the increasing complexity is discouraging campaign-makers. Will we see a time when we need to pay BF for good professionally made campaigns? It would be worth it I think.

They are all great games, and I am always happy to play any of them. But the most important differences for me are the in the feel of the landscapes, so I like the green lands of Normandy and Holland best. Not that there aren't great maps to be had in RT or in FI.

In order:

CMSF

FI

BN

RT

I am disappointed that we only got one Axis and one Allied campaign with CMRT and no user made ones since CMRT came out. (Campaigns are the best way to play imo as one needs to be concerned about ammo, manpower and equipment/vehicle conservation like in RL.)

amen. there're sizable campaigns in CMSF, some of them 20+ missions long making it quite a rich experience. Now the length of them has quartered. I wait to see what cmbs brings...

Maybe it's the increasing complexity is discouraging campaign-makers. Will we see a time when we need to pay BF for good professionally made campaigns? It would be worth it I think.

don't mind that either.

CMFI with Gustav Line get my vote solely on the basis of the fall/winter/spring seasons and the valid excuse to building mountains in the editor! :)

CM Bulge and later modules for CMRT will get their fall/winter/spring too. But CMFI has it now.

Oh - people do tend to forget, though, that CM:Afghanistan also had winter snow, also had mountains, and the applicable scenario dates in the editor went all 12 months for year after year. No 3-4 month tight timeframe.

Based on the frequency of my current playing:

CMFI/GL - feels like there is a lot of content, V3 re-sparked my interest, feels like a bigger theatre, lots of different weather and challenges.

CMSF - the old engine can be frustrating but it is so very atmospheric, masses of content, performs well, Red v Red seems very contemporary, some great new mods out (Kieme's HD graphics), can't wait for V3.

CMBN/CW - lots of content, loads of scenarios, more familiar equipment.

CMBN/MG - street battles versus AI often betray engine shortcomings, begs for an operational layer to add some context - overwhelming odds are fun if you feel you are making a last ditch effort that has a subsequent effect on the overall situation.

CMRT - just hasn't grabbed me. Maybe a winter theatre will.

1. RT. I like the setting, the terrain is definitely a huge factor without being as frustrating as bocage, I'm not playing with early/mid-war cripple-tanks, there is an interesting variation in composition between the two forces and engine improvements.

2. BN. Loads of content, plenty of scenarios, some great campaigns, Market-Garden doesn't really interest me much but at least added something besides the airborne operation.

3. SF. I like modern forces, the asymmetric tactics involved, the setting is especially timely and it had tons of content.

4. FI. Just not interesting to me at all.

Haven't really been able to play CMRT due to having the troops-can't-enter-buildings bug, but I've enjoyed the handful of battles I played.

That said, I rank all the WW2 titles as roughly even, just different flavors of the same tactical goodness. I'll be playing them all for years to come. I would rank CMSF slightly above them all though. It just feels more complete when you have all the modules plus all the possibilities of Red vs Red scenarios. Each NATO force has completely different sets of gear that force your tactics to be radically different.

I didn't intend for Shock Force to be in the equation, but now that it is I'd have to rate it number 5. I like it and have all the modules, but its dated and when playing the newer combat mission stuff you really miss things like target briefly.

The tank vs tank combat feels way unbalanced unless you go blue n blue which seems weird.

I'm sure Black Sea will rectify alot of the above.

Don't get me wrong I still like Shock Force and Afghinistan. Just not as much as the WW2 stuff.

What sets CMSF apart for me is that the WW2 titles are very similar to play aside from graphical treatments of new units.

CMSF is completely different. Aside from the era, preservation of force and ammo is a major objective. Plus the CMSF maps a are very open with long LOS and it's enjoyable to be able to use long range weapons.

If you play the fully patched CMSF plus the xnt mods available, you can sim all sorts of scenarios and campaigns. Right now there are mods and scenarios that enable one to play in Libya, Iraq, Syria, Pakistan, and even Europe etc. and as many NATO allies or regional govt or UNCOM including ISIS, FSA, Liwa al Islam, SAA, Al Nusra Front etc. CMSF is amazingly versatile.

Check out the CMSF forums and see some of the screenshots.