Artillery against wooden bunkers.

Stumbled on one scenario where I had no armour but 75 mm offmap artillery and onmap 80 mm mortar. Tried knocking it out with mortar fire to no avail regardless of multiple direct hits. 75 mm's plethora of direct hits didn't change the situation either.

I know how to properly deal with bunkers (taking care of support units defending it first and then employ either smoke screen or flank) but my question here is what kind of artillery calibre is capable of lnocking out wooden bunkers in hotfixed 3.0?

There is a bit of an abstraction going on here, in RL bunkers were usually difficult to spot since they were camouflaged and dug into the earth. They were notoriously difficult to take out with indirect artillery. The game feels about right in that respect.

OTOH, they are probably too easy to spot and take out with direct fire since the game treats them as vehicles. This is a known issue which should eventually be addressed.

but my question here is what kind of artillery calibre is capable of lnocking out wooden bunkers in hotfixed 3.0?

Now that is a easy test you can run yourself.

Plus sometimes it is just better to test it than to take what someone else says on the forum.

Like no-one is ever wrong.

Anyway, it has been so long since I have done any test on a bunker, I would question what results I have also. I normally will only run test when I see the need to verify something in a scenario I am playing H2h.

its a good question, just dont know the present answer.

Now that is a easy test you can run yourself.

Well, I haven't touched the editor yet and thought someone with the knowledge would be able to give me the answer sooner then me finding the time to learn do stuff in the editor. I'm lame, I know. ;)

OTOH, they are probably too easy to spot and take out with direct fire since the game treats them as vehicles. This is a known issue which should eventually be addressed.

I agree with you on too easy to spot but don't agree about the taking out part. It takes forever for my tanks to knock them out, sometimes they expand all their HE ammo on them with no results. OK, that was in 2.12, gotta try if something not noted in the dev changelog got introduced in 3.0.

Started meddling with the editor for the first time. I picked 1 wooden bunker with a machine gun for axis and one 105 mm mortar team for allies. How do I put them on map? Deployed Allied takes me to the map but have no units there - how do I place them?

Read the manual but it states I can freely position units, etc. What am I missing here?

Started meddling with the editor for the first time. I picked 1 wooden bunker with a machine gun for axis and one 105 mm mortar team for allies. How do I put them on map? Deployed Allied takes me to the map but have no units there - how do I place them?

Read the manual but it states I can freely position units, etc. What am I missing here?

Your artillery is likely off map, you can only position the FO team.

if it was me I would set up the map with as many bunkers as dirrerent arty pieces you are going to test, one bunker for each arty type and have your F.O. pre-target when you run the test so the arty falls on turn one so you can test quickly :)

And this is a good way to start learning the game editor, it will be challedging at first. but your test set ups are much easier than setting up a real battle :)

Hister,

105 mm mortar team?! Do you mean one of these?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_cm_Nebelwerfer_40

Suggest you watch this, starting at ~12:37 and and continuing for a minute or so. There is a discussion of US mortars, especially the use of the heavy Delayed Action shell vs a pretty heavily shielded CP. Call the demonstration attention-getting!

Regards,

John Kettler

P.S.

If BFC really wants to get into it, damp or wet logs, following a hard freeze, are much tougher than the same logs in the summer. Indeed, in winter, a log bunker--the Germans did this wet down deliberately--took on the extraordinary projectile resistance of Pykrete. Bidermann talks explicitly about how tough German wooden bunkers were as a result of the wet wood and hard freeze.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pykrete

Regards,

John Kettler