CMFI is a breath of fresh air

I hadn't played CMFI at all since CMBN came out. However when V3 arrived I felt I had to upgrade, and I bought Gustav Line at the same time. And I have to say, I am really enjoying it! I think maybe it is the addition of winterized terrain, it adds something new to the mix tactically and gives the eyes a rest from all that green. Hoping that a few scenario designers may revisit CMFI V3.

I made up a Tunisian style map and am in one of the most historically accurate feeling PBEM's I've played. I'm green US setup in ground similar to the early days of Kasserine pass. My Partner an great assortment of DAK vehicles and troops and has been moving head with great skill. I've yet to see a Bad call from the AI Combat resolution. It's a desperate struggle that gives me pause, that once, many years and wars ago, this happened... this way.

Italy can be a breath of fresh air...or one of the smelliest farts you've ever experienced. Some of the battles are truly jacked.

Infantry fighting in the hills without armor support can be a real challenge and I notice that some players who like to be very aggressive would probably not thrive in an Italy environment. Its often slow and methodical going.

I've tried to entice some good players to Italy, but they just have no interest. Guess its not everyone's cup of tea.

What I'd like to find out is if the 3.0 upgrade really tweaks AT guns. I get the impression from RT that the tweaks to AT guns makes them more effective and if so that would be a big change in Italy.

• 2 months later...

FI wins it for me as best of the three, and I'm not that into Italy oddly enough. It is the maps, more rough, gritty and detailed. There are seemingly more terrain elements that further immerses me into the games. It is becoming harder to play a map with buildings and trees placed on top of what looks like grass carpet, with little to no other terrain details, as you will see with some Normandy maps. That is just my preference though. Normandy has some great, more detailed maps. And you get a wider range of tank variants that keeps me coming back to it as well.

Hi All:

I've been going through some serious Winter withdrawal with CMRT and missing some of the nice looking scenarios from CMBB.

Couple of quick questions on CMFI / Gustav Line - based on the images I've seen:

- Is there actual snow / blizzard type precipitation or is it just snow covering the ground?

- Are there any Winter period campaigns and / or decent amount of scenarios available on the disk or in the community?

- Is there actual snow / blizzard type precipitation or is it just snow covering the ground?

Oh yes, A Temple to Mars takes place in a full on blizzard. Tough scenario too.

- Are there any Winter period campaigns and / or decent amount of scenarios available on the disk or in the community?

I have not played any campaigns but and I do not know the counts but there are definitely more then one scenario that is based in the winter. I think you need Gustov Line to extend the time table to include winter - check on that to be sure.

I have both and while WitE is an interesting game and continues to develop, I like the scale of CM more. To be completely honest, I haven't actually fired up WitE in a while now.

I just had an incident in a pbem where my 2 GIs are behind a wall outside a building with a German lmg inside. The two units are within an AS of each other. Both units are pretty rattled (and I think out of control for both my opponent and myself) and sporadically have been attempting to shoot one another. Finally my two guys pop up, the lmg fires a burst that misses, one of my guys drops down again, I thought to cower. Instead he tosses a grenade. It gets the German, but then there is another explosion behind the building. I replayed the turn frame by frame. Seems the German had the same idea albeit a second too late. He dropped his grenade when hit. Whew! I love this game.

Thanks Ian and lord ...

CMFI + Gustav Line is about 100.00 US

War in the East is around 90.00 US ...

So - this is a very hard decision for this season's Yule list.

But your replies have now sold me - sorry to Gary Grigsby - but I need to see my Panzer's in the snow :D

It's a no brainer...

WIE.jpg

Or

stuart.jpg

Even better

Mord.

stuff, stuff and more stuff. He dropped his grenade when hit. Whew! I love this game.

Yeah, man. It's what makes CM CM in my opinion—beautiful moments like that that have been happening since CMBO. But now the fidelity is 1000 times better. Just think how much you miss playing in RT or at higher camera views.

Mord.