Combat footage from Ukraine

Dim

644 per rocket, 12 rockets per launch platform. This makes 7728 HEAT submunitions per salvo per launchplatform per squarekilometer. If now a full battery of 8 vehicles fires simultaniously at the same target, this makes 46368 submunitions detonating in an area of 1 square kilometer within 60 seconds wich equals on average ~1,3 detonations within a 30 meter radius around a randomly chosen point in the 1 kmĀ² target zone.

Just wow. Colour me impressed, anybody left alive after that is hardly going to be willing to put up a fight. I wonder how many howitzers it would take for a similar effect.

I wonder how many howitzers it would take for a similar effect.

Lets see: The US Marines' 155mm M777 Howitzer has a maximum ROF of 5 Rounds Per Minute and is capable of firing the guided M982 Excalibur Block II shell wich is capable of delivering a payload of 64 DPICM submunitions.

A single M777 Howitzer can thus hit a target with 320 submunitions per minute at maximum ROF, wich is 0,041 times the amount of submunitions a single M270 can deliver at maximum ROF (7728). This means that in order to achieve the the same effect on a 1kmĀ² target area as a battery of 8 M270s, 193 M777 howitzers are needed, wich equals 24 8-gun batterys. That is quite a lot, isnt it :D?

I used the following Wikipedia Articles as sources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M777_howitzer

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/M982_Excalibur

Excellent footage Saferight, thanks.

I wonder though why there are so many scenes of Militias shooting their rifles in the air - and i am not talking about their VOGs wich they are appearently using as indirect fire weapon. At first i thought they were firing at aircraft, but i could neither hear helicopters or jets, nor did they appear to move their points of aim as it would be required to hit a fast moving target. On a second thought, i think they might just want to intiminate the Ukrainian Army troops, make them hide in their trenches. Possibly the crack of a bullet moving at super sonic speeds can be heard far enough to have some sort of effect on the Ukrainian troops behaviour even if it misses them far, but most fortunately i have no experrience at dodging bullets so i cant tell for sure.

Nice video...

They look just like CM2 troops. Very little dispersal as they walk along the road in a nice straight line.

Really interesting to see how real humans function in these situations rather than what we generally do in the game.

Re the attenuated gunfire sounds - that's almost certainly a function of the microphone or recording filters.

Excellent footage Saferight, thanks.

On a second thought, i think they might just want to intiminate the Ukrainian Army troops, make them hide in their trenches.

I think this was the point to harass and hopefully hit a few if they're lucky. In the lead up of that little hit and run attack from 8:00 to 14:00 you see the commander instructing them to fire the GLs first and empty a mag each in their assigned fields of fire. LOS must not be too great with that amount of foliage but they know where the enemies positions are and seem to have figured the bullet drop somewhat. I don't know how sound of a tactic that is but it probably did mess up the UA troops morning and give everybody a little morale boost.

They have the ability and discipline of a half-assed street gang.

I realize that most of them are mugging for the camera, but they don't seem to have much combat effectiveness.

Scarey.

Damn right, I Always have the hunch that the best soldiers just don't like cameras and reporters, and want them to keep away from fights.

The video footage makes me cringe. Why? Because it is yahoos playing at war. Poor movement and halt discipline. Taking halts in the middle of streets or in plain sight. Poor situational awareness - with the exception of 1 or 2 soldiers, everyone else is not looking around - no heads on a swivel.

The footage of the UA position being shelled - what they hell did they expect. That is the worst dug in position. They are on the edge of a treeline but put the trenches forward of the trees in open ground. Then they are dug like gopher holes with no attempt to hide the dug out earth, gear sitting outside the trench, not camoflaged. It looks like a defensive dug position as opposed to a hasty (the camera is in overhead cover but there is no sandbags, no revetment material, no proper staking and I suspect the overhead cover most likely is not sufficient for proper protection.

There was a earlier video showing the aftermath of Ukrainian soldiers being ambushed when the tour bus they were riding in got lost and hit a pro russian checkpoint. Nothing is more disturbing than seeing bodies in seats and isles and the bodies just outside the bus when they tried to escape. Who made the command decision to send soldiers into a hot zone in a bus. A god-damn BUS! It was not clear if the pro-russian forces picked up the weapons off the dead already but it wouldn't surprise me if the gear and ammo was in the under the bus storage compartments.

Video after video shows just how poorly trained the UA is and the most of the pro-russian forces seem to be civilians thrown in uniform with just enough training to make them dangerous.

Which makes this conflict all the more tragic.

The video footage makes me cringe. Why? Because it is yahoos playing at war. Poor movement and halt discipline. Taking halts in the middle of streets or in plain sight. Poor situational awareness - with the exception of 1 or 2 soldiers, everyone else is not looking around - no heads on a swivel.

The footage of the UA position being shelled - what they hell did they expect. That is the worst dug in position. They are on the edge of a treeline but put the trenches forward of the trees in open ground. Then they are dug like gopher holes with no attempt to hide the dug out earth, gear sitting outside the trench, not camoflaged. It looks like a defensive dug position as opposed to a hasty (the camera is in overhead cover but there is no sandbags, no revetment material, no proper staking and I suspect the overhead cover most likely is not sufficient for proper protection.

There was a earlier video showing the aftermath of Ukrainian soldiers being ambushed when the tour bus they were riding in got lost and hit a pro russian checkpoint. Nothing is more disturbing than seeing bodies in seats and isles and the bodies just outside the bus when they tried to escape. Who made the command decision to send soldiers into a hot zone in a bus. A god-damn BUS! It was not clear if the pro-russian forces picked up the weapons off the dead already but it wouldn't surprise me if the gear and ammo was in the under the bus storage compartments.

Video after video shows just how poorly trained the UA is and the most of the pro-russian forces seem to be civilians thrown in uniform with just enough training to make them dangerous.

Which makes this conflict all the more tragic.

Ya if your going to murder each other at least do it efficiently and professionally right?

At least their civil war is a little more civil than this

http://youtu.be/MeHvBWG4koE

At least their civil war is a little more civil than this

http://youtu.be/MeHvBWG4koE

Actually the dancing at 0:16 is a highly sophisticated psychological warfare tactic: the idea is to first make the enemy laugh so that he cant aim properly and then kill him by making him laugh so badly that the resulting cramps of the respiratory system result in death by suffocation.