Hunt & covered arc

poesel

Fairly simple. The unit moved (same as MOVE) until it was fired upon or saw an enemy, then halted.

What I don't remember is whether the unit would ignore enemy units seen outside its covered arc and continue moving.

Am pretty sure that if fired on the unit would stop regardless of arc. But, it may not fire back if the enemy unit was outside the arc... unless some preservation routine kicked in.

In any case, it was the preferred movement mode when moving long distances, or at the start of a game when one wanted to literally MOVE TO CONTACT.

The problem with the current MOVE in CM2 is that we are told it leaves the unit very vulnerable. And as mentioned, HUNT is too tiring over long distances.

Thanks Erwin. Like you mention, I always thought the current MOVE order left the p-truppen vulnerable, but I recall a post in the last several months (maybe on CMBN forum?) that indicated that wasn't necessarily true. I have never tested it, but since then have noticed when under fire, MOVE-ordered troops will change to QUICK to move to cover, or will drop in place. Does anyone know for certain if MOVE is in fact less vulnerable than commonly thought?

Motivation level affects likelihood of disregarding covered arc when under fire. I don't know if it has any affect when not under fire, but one other factor that does is C2 status.

Nope, no luck. Unlead conscript, poor, unfit, -2 leadership Russian infantry held their fire in the presence of German infantry and an unbuttoned King Tiger. If that Kitty doesn't make them afraid nothing will. :)

Looks like being shot at is the only trigger that will break hunt with a CA.

Does anyone know for certain if MOVE is in fact less vulnerable than commonly thought?

I never really thought of Move as vulnerable just slow. Fast is get going to the destination with the blinders on - it is probably the most vulnerable with regard to reacting.

I understand you guys are talking about suggestions for what you want to see changed so feel free to just ignore this next part but I'm going to throw my 2c in for how to move long distances in a safe-ish manner using the game as it is now: For open ground bounding moves with quick two or three actions squares long with 15s pauses at each point. Stagger the start times for the teams. The idea being that if bad stuff happens several fire teams in the platoon are stationary watching out and can respond. Once the open ground is covered I use hunt a lot in forests. Just not long stretches of hunt short commands - short ones with pauses or just one short hunt command and nothing - let them sit around for a while. In an urban environment or one with lots of cover of various types. Use fast to go from cover to cover and hunt while under cover. Again making sure that some teams are waiting while others are moving. By using faster move commands but with some waiting around my men do not get tired and they cover the ground fairly well while keeping each other safe.

Nope, no luck. Unlead conscript, poor, unfit, -2 leadership Russian infantry held their fire in the presence of German infantry and an unbuttoned King Tiger. If that Kitty doesn't make them afraid nothing will. :)

Looks like being shot at is the only trigger that will break hunt with a CA.

By C2 status I mean they have to be out of C2. It has nothing to do with leadership bonuses.

But even then it is an unusual event that seems to be fairly random.