Something else to talk about. What would YOU like to see next.

Sequoia

Yes we know the RT patch is next and rightly so but what would you like to see come first afterwards (presuming probably wrongly our input will have any influence :) ).

The candidates:

Combat Mission: Black Sea.

Battlepack for CM:BN

Module for CM:RT.

I understand posting in the RT forum will bias the responses.

Anyway I wanted to try to talk about something other than the price of 3.0 (though I do like the beer analogy).

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Black Sea for me. I'm really looking forward to seeing the modern setting again with all the improvements that have been made since CMSF. I hope it's out before the end of the year.

Next up for me would be the Bulge game and some winter battles, maybe sometime next year?

Yes we know the RT patch is next and rightly so but what would you like to see come first afterwards (presuming probably wrongly our input will have any influence :) ).

The candidates:

Combat Mission: Black Sea.

Battlepack for CM:BN

Module for CM:BN.

I understand posting in the RT forum will bias the responses.

Anyway I wanted to try to talk about something other than the price of 3.0 (though I do like the beer analogy).

That would have to be a module for CMFI, I don't believe there are any more for CMBN. The next step for NW Europe is the Bulge family or whatever they call the fall 1944 to spring 1945 game.

Personally I'd like to see the CMFI module. :D

I am looking forward to the Black Sea game. Since I never did the CMSF series, I can see myself getting way too involved in that game, since maybe it will be the first time I can set up some different battles where there is a challenge to the forces that face each other. Also a little more flexibility in what the maps will let us model.

I cannot believe I still do not own any modern war stuff through BF, But I am sure this will finally fit my needs as to what I can and will do with it.

That would have to be a module for CMFI, I don't believe there are any more for CMBN. The next step for NW Europe is the Bulge family or whatever they call the fall 1944 to spring 1945 game.

Personally I'd like to see the CMFI module. :D

I distinctly recall Steve saying they wanted to do at least one Battlepack for CM:BN. A battlepack differs from a module as it has no central theme and may differ in content than modules have so far.

This is a hard question!

I am really getting excited about Black Sea. I'll probably get worse, once they start showing us more. CMSF really got me into modern like I didn't know I could be, so having a 3.0 modern game with all the bells and whistles is gonna kick some major butt. I am looking forward to learning about the new weapon systems and Russian equipment. I love being out of my comfort zone when it comes to kit. I see it as a chance to expand my knowledge and interests.

I am also counting the days until they upgrade CMSF. That probably has me most excited, at the moment.

Really though, I am just happy all around. Everything that is in the pipeline has me pumped up. I LOVE that fact that there are so many choices headed our way, in so many different flavors. The CMX2 engine (and it's upgrades) is like seeing for the first time compared to the black abyss that was the years between CMBO and BN. Just knowing our titles are not frozen in time makes every title/module/pack better than the last...because as each one is released more of the future is laid out...and what may lie in that future, and the future of our games is the most exciting of all.

That, there, fellas...is known in the Wargame Biz as optimism!

Mord.

I distinctly recall Steve saying they wanted to do at least one Battlepack for CM:BN. A battlepack differs from a module as it has no central theme and may differ in content than modules have so far.

Oh sorry I misread that, thought it said module for CMBN not CMRT. What can I say, I am still hyperventilating that the guy who wants BF to lower it's prices owns 400 games.

Lol I just read your post editing it. I am still hyperventilating though. :D

Oh sorry I misread that, thought it said module for CMBN not CMRT. What can I say, I am still hyperventilating that the guy who wants BF to lower it's prices owns 400 games.

Apparently I've been summoned.

What I would like to see next is CM:BN given free to everyone.

But actually I'm interested in seeing a battlepack happen. They are currently an unknown factor as far as cost and content go. It will be interesting to see what one actually entails.

Apparently I've been summoned.

What I would like to see next is CM:BN given free to everyone.

But actually I'm interested in seeing a battlepack happen. They are currently an unknown factor as far as cost and content go. It will be interesting to see what one actually entails.

No no no, you are to stay put throughout your intervention, now go back to that thread and stay there. Oh wait, we were on commercial break, I forgot.

Well, since you asked, I'll be the still, small voice from way out in left field and say that what I would really like is for BFC to start making games the next step up in scale with the standard units of battalion size and turns that cover 6-8 hours of combat...more or less. But I recognize that such a move might be commercial suicide for BFC even if they wanted to do it as much as I want to see it. So I do not expect to live long enough to see that day. But I can dream...

Michael

Well, since you asked, I'll be the still, small voice from way out in left field and say that what I would really like is for BFC to start making games the next step up in scale with the standard units of battalion size and turns that cover 6-8 hours of combat...more or less. But I recognize that such a move might be commercial suicide for BFC even if they wanted to do it as much as I want to see it. So I do not expect to live long enough to see that day. But I can dream...

Michael

What ME is trying to say, is that he really wants ( as do I ) are Platoon Level Games where each piece represents a Platoon, and each turn 10-15 minutes...BF could consider bringing in John Tiller for this massive undertaking :-)

What ME is trying to say, is that he really wants ( as do I ) are Platoon Level Games where each piece represents a Platoon, and each turn 10-15 minutes...

Well, no. There are very good reasons—mainly having to do with weapons' ranges—why that is not a good fit in terms of modeling in a game. But the battalion level scale works just fine, as many games have proved. Besides, it is at this level, IMHO, that most WW II battles were resolved. Which is to say that it is only when you get to this level and higher that anything really decisive is likely to happen. Below this level, individual actions tend to average out and get lost in the overall chaos of battle. Yes, it was important that every man do his job successfully, but while some succeeded brilliantly, others were dismal failures, and the majority fell somewhere in between those two extremes. Like I said, over the whole scope of the battle, performances usually averaged out. But among battalions, regiments/brigades, and divisions, individual performances could be critical, and the higher one goes on the formation ladder, the more critical those performances become.

Michael

Well, no. There are very good reasons—mainly having to do with weapons' ranges—why that is not a good fit in terms of modeling in a game. But the battalion level scale works just fine, as many games have proved. Besides, it is at this level, IMHO, that most WW II battles were resolved. Which is to say that it is only when you get to this level and higher that anything really decisive is likely to happen. Below this level, individual actions tend to average out and get lost in the overall chaos of battle. Yes, it was important that every man do his job successfully, but while some succeeded brilliantly, others were dismal failures, and the majority fell somewhere in between those two extremes. Like I said, over the whole scope of the battle, performances usually averaged out. But among battalions, regiments/brigades, and divisions, individual performances could be critical, and the higher one goes on the formation ladder, the more critical those performances become.

Michael

Actually the TCS series from the gamers did a really good job with platoon size units in a regimental size battle. (Some were larger, but they based the command level benefits around utilizing the battalion staff). Still like those games. Bloody 110, Screaming Eagles in Holland, they even did a massive game on the Omaha landing.

I'd rather see Coy scale units than battalion. Love to see something like Streets of Stalingrad. Keep the scale and the map think it was 500m hex, but have a WEGO mechanic. The mechanics of the game would be designed around city fighting\urban fighting. Thats what I'd like to see. The game would monitor each unit at a tactical level so though you see a Coy counter it's actually doing things like fire and movement, room to room fighting,breaching through walls, using cover and monitoring individual soldier casualties. So though you see the coy counter move a couple of hexes all sorts of things may have been happening within the hex\counter. All going on under the hood and dependent upon the unit SOP's set, terrain, contact with the enemy, sighting of the enemy and the actual movement order. Also have a indepth command and control element and supply system. Lots would be happening in game\engine yet with little input by comparison from the player.

Or do away with hex and square counter and instead have a shape\counter that matches the unit footprint at the time, so it is always morphing depending in formation\terrain and order and what is happening to the unit at the time. Say if a unit routes the the shape breaks apart into lots of smaller shapes that spread out and move back behind the lines but will reform when away from the frontline. Each uni\shape would be colour coded as each coy would have a different colour and where the leader is would be a small unit flag. Hover over unit\shape and a tooltip will tell you what the unit is, formation, leader name, current order, moral etc etc.