I have 27.1 Gb of mods for CM...

The scary thing about a heavily modded CM2 game is when an upgrade or patch is installed, you don't know wheich mods will work or not and which need replacing.

My concern about the proliferation of "families" of CM2 games is that one start to spend as much time keeping up to date as playing.

The scary thing about a heavily modded CM2 game is when an upgrade or patch is installed, you don't know wheich mods will work or not and which need replacing.

My concern about the proliferation of "families" of CM2 games is that one start to spend as much time keeping up to date as playing.

Jings Erwin! Your concerns are boundless. :)

Mods - easy. Cut out z folder and paste on location on hard drive. Install new patch, copy z folder back in. Start game. Any problems you remove the obvious mods that cause problems. Usually sound or terrain mods. I do this all the time when beta testing. Although I also have 'clean' versions for testing stuff..

No big deal I think.

"Any problems you remove the obvious mods that cause problems."

It can be that the problematic mod isn't obvious, George. I don't know how many mods you use, but I much have thousands by now (in a complex series of mod subfolders). Figuring out which mods can or should be deleted after each update is a growing issue.

"...ensure you remove the mods before you update your game."

Well, yes that seems to be important. Wish that the patch/update install process warned about that b4 one installs - as in my excitement I always forget. :(

Having said that, certain mods seem to stop working properly after a new patch/update and the mod has to be updated, or one has to permanently delete it. Trying to identify those mods when one has thousands is not always easy.

My fervent wish is that "one day" BF will be able to incorporate the CM2 families into one large install. In addition to the convenience that would provide, there seems little point in having so many versions of a similar engine taking up HD space.

"...ensure you remove the mods before you update your game."

Well, yes that seems to be important. Wish that the patch/update install process warned about that b4 one installs - as in my excitement I always forget. :(

Wow you guys are timid :D I just install and delete the animated text mod and go. So far no issues. Mind you I do not use terrain or sound mods so perhaps I can get away with it because of that.

My fervent wish is that "one day" BF will be able to incorporate the CM2 families into one large install. In addition to the convenience that would provide, there seems little point in having so many versions of a similar engine taking up HD space.

I really do not think that will ever happen. The cost benefit is way to low. I suspect that the engine components are not as similar as you expect.

Lol Ian. I have sound and terrain mods and I barely give it a second thought. If I have a problem, I pull the folder and restart the game. It isn't like they cause permanent damage to the install. The day I have problems with tanks a lots buildings is the day I cry. I don't use the animated texts, I have never had a mod issue and I have multiple versions of the game running quite often.

I thought that installing an update or patch when you have a Z folder full of mods actually alters the default mods or the new mods in some way. So one would need to do a complete reinstall of the game to get it looking correct again.

Are you 100% certain that when you experience mod problems after an install, that simply moving the Z folder and restarting and putting the Z folder back is all that is required?

Oh come now, it's not really hard to find which mods aren't working properly.

After all, we can only mod sound and graphics.

So if the sounds are off, just remove the soundmod (or the sounds for whatever weapon/thing is sounding off).

If a tank looks all wierd and strange, remove the tanks mod.

If the terrain looks strange, remove the terrain mods...

And so on.

The only times there are "major" problems is when using the animated text mod (but you should count on that being outdated with every major update) and when you forget to remove your mods before instealling.

Other than that, it's really easy.

Lol Ian. I have sound and terrain mods and I barely give it a second thought. If I have a problem, I pull the folder and restart the game. It isn't like they cause permanent damage to the install. The day I have problems with tanks a lots buildings is the day I cry. I don't use the animated texts, I have never had a mod issue and I have multiple versions of the game running quite often.

ditto, I don't use Vin's animated thingy, so after Moving Z, Installing <whatever> and Moving Z back, I've never had any trouble. I wasn't even aware that some sound mods could cause problems.

I thought that installing an update or patch when you have a Z folder full of mods actually alters the default mods or the new mods in some way. So one would need to do a complete reinstall of the game to get it looking correct again.

Nope. The install replaces / updates / adds the game default files and does not touch or look at your mod files. The look of the game is a combination of those default graphics and any mods you have added. So if the mods are not there you get the default game look. If they are then they override only the files they are named the same as. The install could not care less what is in the mod directories.

Are you 100% certain that when you experience mod problems after an install, that simply moving the Z folder and restarting and putting the Z folder back is all that is required?

??? no idea what you mean...

If you have a problem after installing an upgrade or patch with the way the game looks you can remove all your mods and rest assured that now you have just what a default game would look like. If at that point there is still something wrong with the way the game looks than you have a) hit a defect or B) the install screwed up some how (such as they were done in the wrong order or missed a step). But the presence of the mods during the install were *not* the cause.

I know this from empirical experience, years of computer experience, years of programming experience, what I have learned from reading between the lines reading these forum posts and comments from Steve and Phil. I am 100% certain I am correct however I have no official confirmation from anyone from BFC. :D

To second Ian's statement, the whole deal with mods is pretty simple. The game install consists of 2 primary components. The actual exe file which is essentially the game and all the brz files which are the appearance and sound of things in the game. Your mods simply replace the files in the brz by load order (hence the z folder). They do not alter anything in the exe file. It is not possible to permanently affect your game with the mods. Remove your z folder and restart the game and you are back at a stock install. The only way you can screw it up is to actually delete a brz or alter the files within it. That would require a re-install.

If you check out your data folder before and after an upgrade you will see one of two things (or maybe both). You might see a specific brz get updated and you'll know from the date stamp. This happened with a couple brz files in the 2.0 upgrade for example. Some of that was probably the work done for bump mapping. You will also possibly see new brz files and generally you can tell that by the file name. Look in your data folder and you can trace the history of patches by the brz name. That is what is done in upgrades/patches along with updating the exe file. It isn't rocket science and it never touches your mods. Believe me after reinstalling the game testing new installers, upgrades and patches you get very used to the process.

I know some folks have considered unpacking their brz files, altering content and repacking. I would advise against that. It really doesn't buy you anything, but it makes getting back to stock essentially a reinstall. It just isn't worth it.

What goes wrong with folks who load things in the wrong order is they will sometimes miss out on having certain brz files (if you skip a patch for example) or they end up with the wrong exe (and the modules have their own exe as well). It could also lead to having a wrong hotkey file, but that is a different issue. None of that however touches your mods. As far as the installers are concerned that is an empty folder and they don't write anything to it.

Thanks, that's a relief to know I can't permanently screw things up requiring a full reinstall of the game so long as I don't touch the default brz files.

However, am I the only one who mixes and matches downloaded mod files? That's where things get complex when there is a problem.

(Looking forward to updated vinnarts animated text.)

Thanks, that's a relief to know I can't permanently screw things up requiring a full reinstall of the game so long as I don't touch the default brz files.

However, am I the only one who mixes and matches downloaded mod files? That's where things get complex when there is a problem.

(Looking forward to updated vinnarts animated text.)

Nope, I do too, plus I usually mod the mods to some extent, especially uniforms.

Btw, I do unpack all the game's brz files, and keep each in a separate folder in a directory where I keep all the game's files as a back up. Mainly so I can compare them against the mods that come out. But I keep the brz's in the main directory untouched.