Something for the Grogs - the Pz IV

Gamer58

I noticed in Combat Mission 2.0 the Pz IVs (seen in CMFI) have a wooden box looking part of the front left upper hull near the side viewing port. It sure looks wooden to me. What is contained in that box and why?

Also, did Pz IVs not have smoke launchers? What is with that?

Germans had trouble with their smoke candles. It was apparently too easy for the smoke round to be ignited by incoming fire, the resulting smoke would enter the fighting compartment and make the tank virtually uninhabitable. After loosing a couple tanks that way they stopped using them. The US used that problem to their advantage, they got into the habit of firing smoke shells at the otherwise unbeatable big cats. At the least they'd blind them, at best they'd force the crew to bail.

CM models the turret roof Nahverteidigungswaffe, yes. But it doesn't launch S-mines. The S-mines were launched from 5 separate launchers around the hull on Tigers built from December 42 to September 43. The S-mines aren't included that I've seen.

You don't really jack up a tank. You jack individual road wheels, bogies, or torsion bars to do maintenance on the suspension.

As to the original question, I can't anything that shows the Pz IV ever had the smoke dischargers. Early models had ports in the turret roof. The late H and J models, which are what you should see in CMRT, were supposed to have the Nahverteidigungswaffe though supply shortages prevented many of them from being installed.

The Panther D had the smoke dischargers in early 1943, but like on the Tiger they were dropped in the summer of that same year.

Got it.

Re the S Mine disharger: Understood, although are any other anti infantry grenades modeled in tanks in CM X2? Did they exist? I recall they did on some tanks. Did they?

Re the Panthers/other tanks without smoke: That would really really suck being in a tank without smoke capabilities.