Wait a minute?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because coffee is a perishable it does make sense.

When you buy foodstuffs/perishables you know pretty accurately what you are getting and how it will improve your life at that moment.

Software (or really any other non-perishable purchase) doesn't provide that.

Oh, I pretty much know how this piece of BFC software improves my life; hit decals allowing my Sherman to improve the ventilation on a PkW Mk IV.

;)

At this point BF has built a hard-earned reputation for quality and reliability. I would say you DO know what you are getting when you buy a BF product or upgrade. That is what makes their "franchise" so valuable. It is a known quantity.

On top of that, because BF is working for and marketing to a tiny niche of the wargaming market (which is a tiny niche in itself) as with any "luxury/unique" product category one would expect to pay big bucks.

A decent dinner out for you and your sigother unit can easily come to $50-$100+.

An evening at a bar could cost big bucks.

Strippers and lap dances...

A good hooker could be thousands...

And all those are for only ONE NIGHT's enjoyment!!

With CM, one can spend literally hundreds of hours making innane posts on these forums, and IT DOESN'T COST ANYTHING!

And waaaaait... You can actually buy a reliably great game series from a trusted company for a few hundred dollars that will last you for thousands of man-hours, and with little chance of catching chlamydia.

Let's be realistic folks.

And waaaaait... You can actually buy a reliably great game series from a trusted company for a few hundred dollars that will last you for thousands of man-hours, and with little chance of catching chlamydia.

Yeah, but we all know the chance is non-zero :mad:

We do all know that, right? No? Just me? Hmm.

With all the money I have saved from only buying CM games from BF instead of the dozen or so crappy games a year I used to buy, I can now eat better. :)

If only CM came with an exercise program which forced one to get up from the computer and move around every hour or so...

At this point BF has built a hard-earned reputation for quality and reliability.

From some of the needlessly introduced bugs in the 3.0 upgrades (1 story building bug? Really?), BFC appear to be flirting with squandering this reputation. The 3.01 patch to the upgrades had best be free! :cool:

How is this deceiving? BFC described how this was going to work months ago. If you didn't know, then you just haven't been paying attention.

Michael

Exactly, and it seems he was under a rock when they charged for the 2.0 upgrade. He obvisouly has been on this forum since 2006 and knew that they charged for it, so why act all surprised now?

I don't see anyone complaining when a big developer releases an upgrade or add-on DLC and charges for it, e.g. Civ IV. Why should BFC be any different?

From some of the needlessly introduced bugs in the 3.0 upgrades (1 story building bug? Really?), BFC appear to be flirting with squandering this reputation. The 3.01 patch to the upgrades had best be free! :cool:

That bug effects a small number of people with a specific set of hardware, and we're working on a fix for them now. It is not a problem for the vast majority of the people who have bought the upgrade.

That bug effects a small number of people with a specific set of hardware, and we're working on a fix for them now. It is not a problem for the vast majority of the people who have bought the upgrade.

Fair enough, but since I've got an i7 CPU and run an Nvidia graphics card, I'm going to avoid applying the 3.0 CMBN patch for now. I also need to let my PBEM partners know not to purchase the 3.0 upgrade to CMBN until I'm certain the upgrade isn't going to terminate our currently running games.

Fair enough, but since I've got an i7 CPU and run an Nvidia graphics card, I'm going to avoid applying the 3.0 CMBN patch for now. I also need to let my PBEM partners know not to purchase the 3.0 upgrade to CMBN until I'm certain the upgrade isn't going to terminate our currently running games.

Its quite easy to maintain a separate 2.12 install and upgrade to 3.0. I have a i7 and Nvidia and no single story building bug. Not in CMRT or CMBN/FI 3.0.

What a headache! A stubborn and elusive bug that messes up the game for a tiny- and vocal- minority*. I feel sorry for you guys at HQ.

*For those afflicted I feel bad for you, too. ;)

Lethaface is correct. "Its quite easy to maintain a separate 2.12 install and upgrade to 3.0."

My experience on my EVO Hackintosh in is this:

CMRT Mac on the rips through any huge scenario I can feed it very fast!

CMRT Mac looks fantastic, plays fluidly with all settings at Best with GBs of Mods in my Z folder.

CMRT Mac has no single story building bug.

CMBN & CMFI v3.0 game engine Mac upgrades (not patches) are being developed now.

I am ready for CMBN & CMFI v3.0 game engine Mac upgrades when they are ready but CMRT Mac is so good that my limited entertainment junctures are easily filled.

--------------------

System Specs:

Hackintosh - ‘EVO Black Resurrection’ = EBR

Intel Core i7-4770K-3.89GHz not over-clocked in OS X

Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H motherboard

EVGA GTX 760 ACX 4GB GDDR5 RAM

16GB G.SKILL Sniper Series DDR3 2400 memory at 1600 MHz in OS X

Intel 335 SSD 240GB

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO LAN Case

DELL U2713HM-2560 x 1440

Apple 10.9.4

Boot ROM Version: MultiBeast.tonymacx86.com

What a headache! A stubborn and elusive bug that messes up the game for a tiny- and vocal- minority*. I feel sorry for you guys at HQ.

*For those afflicted I feel bad for you, too. ;)

I don't mind the vocal part, and even if it were a bare handful of people with a severe issue like this we would be trying to find a fix. I just don't want to see it regarded as some sort of general, everyone-will-have-it bug. It's not.

Nor is it a bug that stems from faulty programming (we didn't "introduce" this) - it's an interaction between particular components that unfortunately breaks a piece of our code and is entirely outside of our control. We're simply creating workarounds for it.

Its quite easy to maintain a separate 2.12 install and upgrade to 3.0. I have a i7 and Nvidia and no single story building bug. Not in CMRT or CMBN/FI 3.0.

Sure, but why bother? It's only a $10.00 upgrade after all! The "patch to the upgrade" is promised soon so I can wait. Besides, my SSD is getting full. A second install is a hassle and basically all I will get out of it in my current PBEM games is hit decals and hot key command lines. Not worth it, I can wait.

Same here. That has been part of the difficulty of this one, so few people even among the Nvidia/Intel crowd experience it.

As to "all you get out of it". AI triggers baby ;). I only use my SSD for necessary items on the main drive. I have a standard 3 TB drive for installing CM, the SSD doesn't seem to add anything for CM so why bother installing there. They are still too expensive to bother using that way. I have multiple installs on a regular basis at various versions. It really is very straightforward. Make the leap big dog, stop sitting there shivering like a chihuahua! :D

Same here. That has been part of the difficulty of this one, so few people even among the Nvidia/Intel crowd experience it.

As to "all you get out of it". AI triggers baby ;). I only use my SSD for necessary items on the main drive. I have a standard 3 TB drive for installing CM, the SSD doesn't seem to add anything for CM so why bother installing there. They are still too expensive to bother using that way. I have multiple installs on a regular basis at various versions. It really is very straightforward. Make the leap big dog, stop sitting there shivering like a chihuahua! :D

Lol! As for AI triggers, I don't believe they will add anything to ongoing PBEM games... Wouldn't it be great if scenarios could be designed where some of a player's forces are designated as being under AI control only?!? That would open up a number of interesting possibilities in a large battle.:D

And in addition, up here in Canada we value our freedom to install software to any type of drive we like! ;)

Lol! As for AI triggers, I don't believe they will add anything to ongoing PBEM games... Wouldn't it be great if scenarios could be designed where some of a player's forces are designated as being under AI control only?!? That would open up a number of interesting possibilities in a large battle.

That sounds awesome, could be great to have to save the troops of some overly agressive and braindead AI commander. Might give an amazing sense of urgency to press hard through heavy losses to provide overwatch for the foolhardy assault you ai partner is leading. It could help make the timings more predictable for the scenario designer if the player has too keep up with the part of his force he doesn't control.

Oh wait, I own the newest version of the CBMN, Italy and Red Thunder; now I have to pay for a 3.0 upgrade?

Sounds a little nickel and dime dealing to me when this was more than likely known, before the release of the new titles.

So now I have to pay for 3.0....?

So what? I pre-order all the CM stuff. I just summed up the total I've spent with them since 2009 and it was less than $500 US. The amount of time and enjoyment I've gotten out of this $100 a year, $8.33 month, $0.37 a day is a good value. I doubt you can find much better value out there.

They demand improvements, expansions and and added features then when they get them they complain. Expecting BFC to travel back in time and retroactively expand the game before they bought it seems a rather unreasonable expectation. But then again, maybe they have been doing that starting with v4.0... But since time has been altered there's no way that we'd know about it. I believe BFC is currently busy altering the timeline in the Ukraine conflict to more closely approximate their already developed Black Sea title.

Reasonably priced restaurants in the midwest :cool:

Yeah but it would cost me more than everything I have spent on CM to get there. :(

The only comparable price and length of value item I can compare to CM is books. They cost me more and I spend less time on them. The WW2 history ones do however compliment the game well.