3.0 Released!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some have said AT guns were tweaked in RT. If so then that may be one worthwhile change.

Yes, I really like that feature in CMRT. It makes adjusting AT guns really straight forward. I was even able to setup guns on the back side of a small line of trees, wait for them to setup and then roll them forward into their firing positions once they were ready. Much safer than spending n minutes setting up on the front side of the treeline.

Hello BFC team,

CMBN is infested the shadow bug that had seen lastly in CMRT.

It's happening in CMFI as well. I was running a test last night for the hit decals and it showed up soon as the targeted vehicle was knocked out.

Actually, I was thinking about starting a thread on this very topic. EDITED: Ah, you already did.

How you guys finding performance?

3.0 feels a little more shuddery for me. But that was just one quick load for me.

Also load times FELT longer.. Not shorter...

So, as far as I am seeing, there's no difference on my end. I loaded up the Oosterbeek master map yesterday (pre 3.0) and we estimated it took at least 10 minutes. Later, when I had installed 3.0,

I reloaded it and at 8 and a half minutes in I got up and left the room. I just tried again and it took 12 minutes.

Mord.

I think the 10 US-Dollars are not the problem. Many people are disappointed about the content of the upgrade and a little angry about how the new engine is promoted. Yes, it’s an upgrade and the most v3 game features are included. But a change from v2 to v3 should have more content. More sense for sales Psychology could help :)

A question to BFC: Did you guys ever thought about Crowfounding?

Good question Placebo!

Has this a technical (the realization of this feature was too costly ) or historical reason?

I believe it was for histoical reasons. The western Allies where starting to gett better at this at the time. It could be argued that the Germas should not have it with the deteriating LW but might be a problem to only change it for one side.

"Planes in BN and FI work as before. No change with 3.0." -Fizou

"Nope. Forward observers are not required to call planes now. I have bought planes without them and are able to attack. However, FO know when a plane is "comming around" or "preparing"." -Whiterider

So thats 1 vote for as RT & 1 for no change, can anyone give a deciding vote?

"Planes in BN and FI work as before. No change with 3.0." -Fizou

"Nope. Forward observers are not required to call planes now. I have bought planes without them and are able to attack. However, FO know when a plane is "comming around" or "preparing"." -Whiterider

So thats 1 vote for as RT & 1 for no change, can anyone give a deciding vote?

Oh.. I havent tried it in game, was just sure BF said it wouldent change for BN and FI.

Is there a plan for flame weapons and tank riders?

Frankly, I would have paid $20 and waited a 2-3 more months without a complaint if those features were included.

Looks like the plan for flame weapons is to introduce them in a pack or module. Tank riders? Who knows?

First there is no other company in the industry who does it this way. Engine upgrades are either free patches, part of expansion packs/DLC or in the form of re-releases with reduced price for existing customers. No company outside BF actually charges for them separately. Being different, whether good or bad, attracts complaints by itself.

Certainly this is part of it. The two dominate behaviors are to include features into free patches and sell tons of DLC until they kill the game off, or they don't put in the features and simply allow the game to die. Customers think of this as getting something for nothing, but that's not the case. The revenue from the DLC or from sequels is where these companies make money. The features are simply to keep people hooked. We don't have DLC and we don't force people to repurchase the same content every 3 years, which means we need a different strategy.

Secondly, this is beginning to become a problem due to the many different main lines BF is releasing. A customer who bought every CM family line now has to spend $20 upgrading the two older titles. When Black Sea will be released, he will likely have to spend $30 upgrading the three older titles.

True, but the majority of our customers only actively play a subset of what we release. The overlap between Western and Eastern Fronts is really small, the overlap between WW2 and Modern is also small. So it is true for some, and a lot of them post here, but it's not true for our overall customer base.

And so on. These upgrades are not optional, all newly developed content for said titles depends on them.

Not quite true. New content might require an Upgrade, it might not. Generally we state that it does. Minor point but just wanted to point that out.

A better solution would be to either have one free main engine with loads of paid interdependent modules (such as modern flight simulators do) and occasional paid engine upgrades, or to give the customer one single price to update all of his family lines instead of charging extra for each additional game family.

There's no free lunch available in this niche. You guys want stuff? You have to pay for it or we won't make it. It's as simple as that. If we got rid of paid Upgrades then we'd increase the costs for Modules and Packs.

The third problem is that, right now, this upgrade isn't really worth $10...

Value is always in the eye of the beholder.

Until BF releases content for the older titles that utilizes half the features of this upgrade, I see little use in buying it. And then I can likely buy it half-price as part of a bundle.

Some have been demanding some of the things you didn't mention since we released CMSF or CMBN. To them it's worth $10 right there (someone just mentioned Command Lines). Is he right and you wrong? Not at all. It's a personal evaluation and therefore each individual is always correct about their beliefs.

Funny you should mention the Bundle discount. That effectively is what I mentioned above in that if we dropped the $10 stand alone Upgrade we'd likely increase the cost of a Module by $5. So in effect you do have the alternative approach if you choose to utilize it.

Steve

Official word on the tank rider feature being worked into CMBN and CMFI. The honest answer is "I don't know". The workload is massive and the historical "need" for it is small compared to Eastern Front and late war settings (i.e. Germans ran out of trucks :)). That being said, it's the workload that's the issue.

Now that there is support in the code for this feature we will include tank riders for new games. This does mean that a certain amount of vehicles in other games will get a makeover. Already the case, in fact, since we did have to retrofit some German vehicles for Red Thunder that are available in Normandy and a few in Italy. The problem is we shouldn't introduce this ad hoc since it makes no sense from a gameplay standpoint.

I guess what you should hear is that if we could snap our fingers we'd do it. We're even willing to figure out a way that we can get it to you eventually. It's just that right now, today, we don't know exactly how we can make it happen.

Steve

Official word on the tank rider feature being worked into CMBN and CMFI. The honest answer is "I don't know". The workload is massive and the historical "need" for it is small compared to Eastern Front and late war settings (i.e. Germans ran out of trucks :)). That being said, it's the workload that's the issue.

Now that there is support in the code for this feature we will include tank riders for new games. This does mean that a certain amount of vehicles in other games will get a makeover. Already the case, in fact, since we did have to retrofit some German vehicles for Red Thunder that are available in Normandy and a few in Italy. The problem is we shouldn't introduce this ad hoc since it makes no sense from a gameplay standpoint.

I guess what you should hear is that if we could snap our fingers we'd do it. We're even willing to figure out a way that we can get it to you eventually. It's just that right now, today, we don't know exactly how we can make it happen.

Steve

Straight from the horses mouth ;), thanks for the clarification Steve. While I am a bit bummed about the tank riders, I can understand your perspective, and I just wanted to say thanks for the hard work and effort you guys put into this great series of games, I will be picking up the upgrades for both sometime this week.

Thanks Battlefront for making an awesome WW2 combat simulation game that accurately portrays the battle for Normandy. An equal thanks goes out for keeping the game up to date for such a low low price. As far as I can tell there are no other games that are similar on the market or are currently being made. Keep up the great work :).

Steve

That's fair enough, Steve. Thanks for the clarification...and don't let any of the negative vibes get you down. A lot of us are really happy with everything thus far. I think I can speak for many when I say we appreciate all that you guys do for us and the game. The future is bright!

Mord.

As sburke pointed out in another thread, the very large majority of vehicles in CMBN will also be in the Bulge game... :)

I'm still confused about the question as to if planes work as before or as in Red Thunder.

I haven't been able to verify this yet because the Mac version of CMBN 3.0 isn't out yet, but least I heard the plan was to leave Air Support unchanged in CMBN & CMFI 3.0; among other things it would screw up too many existing scenarios if this were changed.

Seems to me there are several CM cost related whines here. We have a thread for that. Since I have a Mac, rest assured I'll be posting there on the 3.0 Release.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=116220

Steve,

Always good to see you on the Forums--even if you have to repeat certain transmissions!

Regards,

John Kettler