[Released] Rettet Soldat Reinhart

Ok, just completed the last few minutes. I got Reinhart (tired but unwounded) to an exit zone in the last seconds, but I guess I was a few seconds too late for the actual exit and so only got a draw.

******SPOILERS*******

I loved the graphics and mods. The map is interesting and at first glance the mission seems really interesting.

I didn't know what to do during set-up other than load up on ammo from the truck and put a few of the crack rescue SMG teams into the buildings close to the road by the bridge where I thought Reinhart would need to cross. I covered the open area between there and the river with the LMG's and the remainder, including the pioneers, were placed around the Reinhart entry area.

I didn't realize that ALL stragglers would appear at the same entry area so I didn't have any plan to deal with them and they were of little help. I was planning to put the initial truck out of enemy LOS and use it for resupply later. No point since the Russian arty killed it quickly so no other unit could resupply. So, best to load up on ammo with the units than can embark immediately b4 it's killed.

The SMG units I place in the building beside the road leading to the "Reinhart" bridge were very useful in repelling enemy attacks and the enemy never crossed that road. (However, a T-34 placed itself there later.) Anytime I moved other units to reinforce, they got killed quick, so I got no use from the engineer's satchel charges. :(

So basically, after initial set-up I could just as well moved nothing and simply have all other units defend in place - they did a good job stopping the Russian attacks. This is a bit of a problem imo.

When Reinhart appeared 10 minutes before scenario end in his truck, I simply dismounted him and ran him along the edge down to the river, crossed at the canal and run him over the surviving river bridge to the nearest exit zone (road on map edge). (A T-34 on the other side of the canal killed his truck immediately after so it was no use for ammo supply.) I wasted a couple turns doing something or other, so he was a few seconds late to get points - the scenario didn't give me any extra time.

In retrospect, I should have used the engineers to blast holes in the walls so the Reinhart could have more safely hugged the map edge as he ran the route. I was holding them in reserve in case the charges were needed elsewhere. But, with the poor visibility, Reinhart made it all the way without incident.

So, once initial set-up was complete it was unnecessary to do anything more until 10 minutes b4 the end where one has to literally run Reinhart off the map.

It would have been more fun if the player had to do more. Maybe one should have to counterattack to create a clear, safe route for Reinhart to travel through?

• 1 year later...

I exited Reinhart and Skorzeny's HQ but strangely 750 points for Reinhart were awarded to the Soviets. Is that correct?

The scenario briefing does a superb job of creating a desperate atmosphere, which is reflected in the game.

But my impression is, the AI never really threatens the escape route or cuts it off, no matter how badly the player acts. A usual trick in gaming design, to give the player the impression of doing a good job, but I prefer no such tricks.

This was covered in the designer's notes.

Victory note: I decided to put Reinhart in as a truck driver. I think it is the only way to have a single soldier with a name which will not change. This then leads to you not getting the full exit points if you leave the truck behind. So, if you exit Reinhart but without the truck by the end of the scenario, please consider that you have indeed achieved a total victory even if the points result in a minor victory at the end screen.