LoS Max range in Combat Mission, according to day time and weather

Agreed. And its genius strikes me as particularly French, in the same tradition of systematizing and rationalizing that gave us the metric system, Escoffier's hierarchy of sauces in la grande cuisine, the denomination of origin system for wines, the Napoleonic Code, etc.

LOL !

I Forgot : For the first part ("clear" to "dense fog"), the values are for 22 june (summer solstice) and measured with CMRT. For the second part (Flurries to Blizzard), the values are for 22 december (Winter Solstice - measured with CMFI)

I predict that the russians will be the winners of pretty much all battles that take place in dense fog and Evening/Night/Morning...

Definitely agree

Impressive amount of work that went into the LOS chart. I may have to print a copy and put up on the wall of my HQ bunker. I am trying to figure out why some of the boxes have N/A. (To me N/A stands for Not Applicable) For example light rain at 5H (0500hrs) is marked as N/A. Does that indicate that the light rain has no influence on spotting at 0500hrs? Clear is also N/A at 0500hrs. I would think there would be some kind of reduced visibility caused by light rain and compared to clear. Am I reading/interpreting the chart correctly?

I would assume N/A simply means that Maximum LOS is longer than the maximum tested distance under at these conditions, which was apparently something longer than 2880m.

Bear in mind that "Unlimited" max LoS doesn't necessarily mean zero spotting degradation. IOW, units may theoretically be able to see over 3km at 0500hrs in light rain, but this doesn't mean that, on average, they'll spot a given enemy unit at a given distance as quickly in light rain as they would under perfectly clear conditions, just that they have a >0% chance of spotting at that distance.

Also note that CMBN does track changes to light by date and theater, so the above chart presumably is accurate only for a certain date; my guess is on or near to 6/22, which is the Summer Solstice. Change the date to late September 30, a full week after the Autumn Equinox, and LoS conditions in the early morning and evening hours particularly will show changes.

Phase of the moon is tracked, too. So visibility particularly at night under clear conditions will vary depending on the phase of the moon, and whether the moon is currently above the horizon or not.

I would assume N/A simply means that Maximum LOS is longer than the maximum tested distance under at these conditions, which was apparently something longer than 2880m.

Bear in mind that "Unlimited" max LoS doesn't necessarily mean zero spotting degradation.

it is quite right.

N / A means "probably/theorically unlimited." Tests show that LoS can theorically reach 5000 meters and more (with CMRT) but becomes very uncertain beyond about 3000 meters (flat ground).

With CMFI, it's impossible to test beyond about 2000 meters. That's what "?" means

N / A means "probably/theorically unlimited." Tests show that LoS can theorically reach 5000 meters and more (with CMRT) but becomes very uncertain beyond about 3000 meters (flat ground).

With CMFI, it's impossible to test beyond about 2000 meters. That's what "?" means

Okay. That helps. Thanks for the chart.