Off Topic WWII Game Q

Guest Pham

I just picked up iPanzer '44 for $5.00(for a new copy, no less...) and was wondering why the general opinion whereever I look seems to be that it sucks(gamespot gave it a 3.3 rating, a search on dejanews turned up nothing by complaints). I've only played it for maybe 6 hours, but so far I like it. Am I missing something here? Why does everyone hate it?

Hmm,

AI,

Incompatibilities.

Major bugs in the released version

Only three drivable tanks.

Errors in data.

I think those were the big ones for most people.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Tom punkrawk

Oh come on Fionn, that's the way they made the game!!hah, I was at this computer store that was having a "moving sale" and they had this ww2 game, and on the back it said something like, "The US invaded France on June 7th,1944...", June 7th?Man you'd think someone would point out that error before they put the box out.hrm,somethings people over look

------------------

We ain't got no place to go,let's go to a punk rawk show

Fionn:

Hmmm, it's weird then I guess. The only one from your list that I've encountered as a problem was the "Only three drivable tanks".

I can't speak for errors in data, but the AI seems decent enough though maybe a tad too easy I suppose. I've had some major battles which left the field littered with smoking wrecks and dead bodies. It's actually pretty cool running the whole show from just the TC viewpoint and the map. Plus I like the way the ammo cooks off when a tank gets hit. Why isn't this happening in CM? I'd think that a squad sitting 10 feet from a tank would be in peril if the ammo started firing randomly after a hit(a few minutes after, I suppose, for heat to build).

Anyway, I don't think the game is the end all of tank sims, but it's way better than I was led to believe IMO. It would be better if there was town/city battles though. How much better is panzer elite?

Pham,

You must have all the latest patches. I stated release version (which is what reviews are based on)...

I'm glad they fixed it but those developers went under IIRC cause it was so buggy.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Yeah, it's the latest patch. It was a 17 some odd MB download, so I can only assume that it was very buggy when released. I don't think I've ever seen a 17MB patch before this.

At any rate, for $5.00, you can't beat it smile.gifHas enough of a CM feel(even though real time) to tide me over till The game arrives.