Suggestion - configurable turn length for WEGO

I think if you wanted 120s turns, you could just hit the turn button again without issuing more orders... Having checked you'd seen what you needed to see of the first 60s, of course... Shorter turns haven't the same workaround, of course.

Yes that's a fair point. I was just looking for something that might reduce the temptation to micro, and of course you would get a longer movie to play through (or fast forward).

A reason I like WEGO is the challenge of having to issue orders that are good for a whole minute in terms of safety. That tends to take a long time to plot however. Two minutes would be tough, other than maybe after set-up when moving scout units to contact.

On the other hand it would be great to be able to choose between 30 secs, 60 secs, 90- secs and 120 secs while in the middle of a WEGO game depending on how much action is going on.

That makes perfect sense Mikey. However, I find myself somehow obligated to recheck every dam move every turn. (No wonder it takes me forever to play a scenario.)

I do think that when the action is heavy, a 30 sec WEGO turn would be helpful. But, it would also slow gameplay even more. So, on the whole, not sure if it's a good idea or not.

If you want less than a minute, play realtime and pause.

If you want more than a minute, do longer orders and hit go twice without making changes. If you can't help adjusting after a single turn, that's your fault, not the game's.

It's that simple.

Player-adjusted WEGO turn times would only break what isn't broken and create a mess.

A one-minute turn is perfect, IMO. It gives a realistic period of loss of control, while quickly offering a new chance to adjust orders.

Not really..as I'd miss out on my favorite aspect the replay function.

No one is asking for a permanent change..just an option to go 30 secs.

I think 30-second turns would bog down the game (imagine double the turns to PBEM) and eliminate a vital element of realism created by the loss of control. A minute feels pretty right as far as a platoon/squad commander's ability to recieve a new order and/or see what's happening, issue an order, have it be received, and then acted upon.

I would add that, IMO, this makes WEGO fundamentally no less realistic than realtime. It just allows the player to "brain jump" to each acting commander (battalion/company/platoon/squad/team) to "receive" orders from above, see what's happening, and issue new ones to those under him. Players play a game to make the juicy decisions, after all. There's nothing wrong with being able to take the role of more than one commander on the field. In fact, in this way, realtime is LESS realistic, because a large force will by nature be forced to have part of its elements run in a "brain dead" fashion. So, for those the player has time to control it's "more" realistic at a platoon/squad level. For the others, "less" because their commanders are temporarily lobotomized.

The full-minute loss of control is vital to the WEGO system's integrity, I think.

What's the different between a 2 minute WeGo time and simply hitting the GO button twice? Heck, if I'm on a long approach march (darned big maps!) I might skip over watching play entirely and just hit go-go-go

It´s obvious: If you play by email using this "house rule" you won´t know if your opponent is cheating. If you play against the computer the AI will have a different behaivour. Plans for 2 minutes are not the same than plans for one minute.

It´s obvious: If you play by email using this "house rule" you won´t know if your opponent is cheating. If you play against the computer the AI will have a different behaivour. Plans for 2 minutes are not the same than plans for one minute.

You are correct, sir!

Doh!

I tripped over myself on that one, too. Somehow, I assumed single-player for the 2-minute turn and multi-player for the 30-second turn.

What was in my orange juice this morning?