FURY looks good

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Billed as a German Band of Brothers"

I wouldn't go that far, but it was pretty good.

I didn't enjoy it. It once again paints a black and white picture of the Germans being honorable, with just some evil nutjobs being behind the war.

Alone the idea that a few youngsters in the 18-20 yr demographic would have a jewish friend in 1938 is ridiculous. This age group was a prime target of the nazi propaganda.

And the worst part is probably that the Polish resistance fighters are being depicted as almost as antisemitic as the Germans. Not saying that this didn't happen, but when you consider that Yad Vaschem has honored 6394 Poles (compared to 525 Germans) then it's kinda insulting to have such a plot (and no, I'm not from Poland but Austria).

Hi,

I agree that Generation War is probably as good as it gets with German war films, series in this case. It is very good.

Best war “movies...” by far are Band of Brothers, Pacific and Das Boot. And now Generation War.

The problem with cinema war movies... is they all have lots of nonsense sentimental moments in them. Generation War also has more of them than the two Spielberg series. In Generation War the plot is also less real world than in the other two but the production quality in the action sequences is right up there to modern standards.

The first twenty minutes of Saving Private Ryan set new standards that the above equal. The rest of Saving Private Ryan was rubbish ;).

All the best,

Kip.

I didn't enjoy it. It once again paints a black and white picture of the Germans being honorable, with just some evil nutjobs being behind the war...........

If you look at the main character Friedhelm, the movie does a pretty good job of showing the transition of an honourable young man with scruples in the beginning. Who goes from trying to save a young girl from the SS in the beginning to actually tying the noose around the necks of civilians and hanging them at the end, without remorse. Seemed to be a metaphor for the Wehrmacht as a whole to some degree. So I disagree with your opening, I think the movie tried hard to explain why the average soldier changed, and did not make excuses for it.

I think Unsere Mütter, Unsere Väter have some qualities and I believe your charaterization of Friedhelm´s transformation is very accurate, Nik. But I still agree with most of Dowarisch points:

It is probably very atypical that were no nazis in a group of four 20 year-old germans in 1941 (if I remember correctly, the series starts when the boys are about to leave for the east front).

These would have been children when Hitler came to power and thus have been brainwashed for most of their upbringing. Actually, they would be the ones it would be hardest to blame for being nazis - how should they know any better?

This of course makes the story about the jewish friend extremely unlikely.

And even though there seem to have been quite a lot of antisemitism in Poland at the time, I really don´t like to see the resistance portrayed that way when the main german characters at the same time are portrayed without any antisemtism. That smacks a bit of whitewash to me.

By coincidence am reading "Between Giants - Battle for the Baltics" by Prit Buttar. It seems like a really good read to prep for the 1941 version of CM:RT.

However, it goes to some length to describe the antipathy between the Germanic Baltic peoples and the population. According to the book, much of the Jewish community welcomed the Russians who invaded as a part of the pact with Germany and consequently were lording it over the Germanic Lithuanians, Latvians and Estonians. And this "according to the book" is what led to the horrific reprisals when the Germans invaded. Since my family come from that region, I found it fascinating. Only up to about p80 or almost 400 pages. The rest is about the German experience fighting the Russians in this region.

Yes, I saw the first 2 episodes of the 3(?) part series on a plane over the Atlantic. Not as good as Das Boot, but what is? I thought it was quite good. I wish I could find the 3rd episode.

Netflix.

Three (3) episodes; instant streaming. Search "Generation War".

The Jewish friend should have fled to New York in the original script. But they didn't have the money for it so they had to invent the Polish resistance thing. Quite a bit of poor writing if you ask me.

In comparison to what German authors usually write for TV and especially for this channel it is quite good. On a more absolute scale it is mediocre at most. And very, very, very far away from 'Das Boot'.

I can second what someone else already mentioned: 'Die Brücke' from 1959 is also quite good.

"Billed as a German Band of Brothers"

I wouldn't go that far, but it was pretty good.

Thanks...I saw this available on Netflix a few days ago but passed. Now after seeing the preview I added it to my list. I'll watch it alongside Son of Anarchy which I just got into .

Thanks...I saw this available on Netflix a few days ago but passed. Now after seeing the preview I added it to my list. I'll watch it alongside Son of Anarchy which I just got into .

be glad you don't have to sit through commercials. They eventually killed SOA for me. I have since learned to just record shows and fast forward through the garbage.

Fargo was a great series, Justified is good as well. Just started watching Tyrant. Haven't yet made up my mind on it yet.

be glad you don't have to sit through commercials. They eventually killed SOA for me. I have since learned to just record shows and fast forward through the garbage.

Fargo was a great series, Justified is good as well. Just started watching Tyrant. Haven't yet made up my mind on it yet.

DVRing is the only way to watch television programs anymore. Either that or buying the full season DVDs or streaming them on line. You pay astronomical prices for cable TV and satellite, and still you have to sit through endless inane adverts. Some on demand stations have disabled the fast forward function, but it seems they limit the amount of commercials.

I feel your pain, the amount of commercials do ruin the enjoyment of watching a decent program.

I cut the cable TV cord and using Netflix so I don't have to sit through commercials. When I queue it up it says 37 minutes per episode if im not mistaken so I imagine you had to deal with quite a bit of commercials.

I watched the first 2 seasons of Justified, but its not on Netflix.

Longmire is pretty good too. I'm not into motorcycles, the biker scene or tattoos, but I gotta admit SOA is pretty entertaining.