New file at the Repository: CMRT Blood on the Tracks (2014-07-08)

Thanks Erwin for clarifying. Yes, "Helluva Road Opening" has many possibilities (strategy options) since the map size allows them.

In my WIP I think that these options will be there.

You will be in command of a German Infantry Battalion at a70% strength. Your task defend the area from a more than probable Russian heavy assault consisting of Infantry and armor with IL2 strafing your lines.

2 King Tigers and 2 Nashorns which have just be refilled with gasoline and supply with a full ammo load are hidden from planes on the reverse slope at a wood edge.

Your battalion has already a small party on or near the centre of the hill crest with 3 Pak 43 set near them, but a little down from the crest on the enemy side in order to avoid having them being silhouetted. 2 more Flak 88's acting as ATG are located on the left, on the reverse slope of the hill, nearly all the way down of the map at a wood edge and 3 Pak 43 are deployed in front of them on line near the top of the hill side. That way the Flak 88's have a good view of any tanks that might move past the 3 Pak 43 and these have a direct sight on the 3 other Flak 43 located on the centre down hill. That makes 6 ATG, ready to fire on any force of tanks that might move toward them and or on their side (depending from which battery of Pak you are looking.

The 2 Flak '88 will be the last one to be able to engage the Russians tanks.

The 2 KT and the 2 Nashorns will be moved by the player where it seems better for them to engage the Russian horde.

However for the time being, I have decided not to allow the player to move any units during the setup. he won't be able to call the Nebelwerfers either. These will come later with Battalion Companies rejoining the battle area on trucks and mounted on 2 sturmgeschütz III and 2 StG IV. They will have also a Hetzer.

Since the Russian will have some planes, the Germans have 3 Mk IV Wirbelwind and few Flak 36 to defend the bridge the reinforcement will use, the convoy and the reverse slope.

So, the tactical option for the player will be in the wise use of the 2 KT and the 2 Nashorns till the reinforcement comes.

Since it is possible that the Russian Infantry succeed in storming one or two of their initial objectives, the player as soon as the reinforcements will be available will have to carry on a counter attack (or two of them ) with its Infantry, StG's and the Hetzer.

The trucks will not be able to move in plain view of the enemy, so that will be a

tactical choice again. How to manage that counter attack force ? The tanks alone, with some mounted Infantry ? Moving up to a certain spot and dismount to assault along the tanks ?

I have already tried it and the results are very surprising. That is the second time I am able to have a counter attack which looks realistic in CM. The first time was on Patton's Assault Nemesis. it was carried on by the AI and at the time was very close to what I wanted. I should play it with V 3.0. As amatter of fact, I did it already, but I was focused on trying a full assault on the right flank with a smoke barrage, Playing RT. I only saw the result of it at the end. 2 Panzer V had reached the ford on the left flank (seen from the US lines) That was what the AI was expected to do..

This time in CMRT the counter attack will be fought off by the A.I and from what I saw already, the AI is in progress.

A last comment. Why did I forbid the player to move any units during the setup ? Because, if I allow him to move its units and if he does it a non military way, the scenario will be another shoot them up and it will end with the Germans having lost nearly all their initial ATG and tanks. The reinforcements would not be able to counter attack since it is probable that the Russians would have reached nearly the area where they should appear. So that would be the end of the reinforcements forces.

With the ATG at their actual positions and with a wise use of the 4 initial tanks the player will be able to slow down and or halt the Russian horde on some of their attack axis if not all.

The reinforcements coming and being deployed tactically as suited by the prevailing situation, a counter attack could be carried on.

This is the first time to my feeling that I have been able to play a C.A with the AI acting realistically. V 3 makes a huge difference.

Cheer

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to see you do similar scenarios like "A Helluva Road Opening" and "A Helluva Take Over" in CMBN, CMFI and CMRT.

(Actually, in CMSF "A Helluva Take Over" I still wish you'd remove the enemy airpower as you will recall, it decimated my Brit Armor and there is no defense.)

(I remember the "Road of all Fears" in CMA as a terrific scenario. I hesitate to replay it as there is only one attack strategy/axis and hence little replayability value.)

What I enjoyed about your scenarios was the interesting mix of units. Brits, CW, US and ANA (and even a small German unit), as well as the relatively large number of interesting strategy (and tactical) decisions the player was faced with.

Ironically, in CMRT all you have are Soviets and Germans. But, in CMFI you could have Germans and Italians vs the WAllies (or vice versa).

In CMBN again you're limited to only Germans vs WAllies of course.

If only it was easy to convert maps between CM2 titles. :(

Hi Erwin,

You sure got a point. The unit mix makes a scenario different and a potential replay ability makes it a winner. Unfortunately that can not be done always as you have noticed it.

I hope that the WIP scenario will, with its different forces, materials and possible tactics to counter the Red assault, be closer to your point of view. I have not much time available these days , but I do my best in order to release it soon.

Cheer