After seeing all of the Arty use in Fionn's and Martin's battle, I had a few questions. I assume that arty fire gets more accurate the longer you fire at a target, as long as the falling rounds are observed, right? Do the rounds have to be observed by the FO? Or is it just by any friendly unit? For the onboard arty (smaller calibre mortars, etc) are there FOs? Or is it just the team itself? If it's just the team, do they have to have LOS to the target to correct fire? Just wondering how this all worked... Thanks.

Guest Big Time Software

Observed artillery fire would indeed get more accurate if observed. However, the speed of this depends on the quality of the FO and I think his LOS. No, only FOs can spot and adjust rounds for now. On The List is a line item to make it so that any HQ unit (assumed to have a radio) can call and adjust fire.

Right now only 50mm, 60mm, and 81mm mortars can be on map. These guys have no FOs and instead fire on their own.

Steve

Question

Arty seems rather "POWERFUL".

Is this mission an example of the amout of arty typicaly availible during a mission?

I "thought" that Arty was more well known for suppressing troops then kiling them.

On what referance material are the desingers basing the effectiveness of Arty?

During Operation Cobra it was found that 80% of ALL casualties were caused by "fragmentation" weapons.

This includes arty, HE shells and grenades.

10% were killed by bullets and the other 10% probably stepped on mines, got hit by cars or it couldn't be decided.

basically I'd expect to lose at least half of all casualties to artillery. The other half would be split between rifles and grenades and tanks.

it seems to be working well so far.

Guest Big Time Software

Harold has hit the nail on the head. Artillery in previous games, especially Steel Panthers, is modled very poorly. In SP the majority of casualties seems to come from tanks, which is just not realistic. Mike, not sure where you got that figure, but Dupuy in his book "Attrition" (partly from work done for the US Army) states the following for US WWII casualties (% wounded/killed):

Small arms: 32/20

Shell frags: 53/62

Mines & booby traps: 3/4

Other: 12/14

Looks like tanks are in "other". WWI figures were even higher for artillery, which makes sense.

So now think about a typical Steel Panthers game. What percentage of casualties do you think comes from Artillery? It has been a LONG time since I have played the game, but I would guess somewhere around 10-20% max. Small arms is proably about right, but the rest is through tank fire, which is silly smile.gif

Steve