Realistic medieval game?

I'm going to catch hell for this, but I liked Stronghold when it first came out.

I'm hoping Stronghold Crusader 2 is decent.

looks like there is a Stronghold HD patch for the old series. May have to try it.

I enjoyed it too, just for a laugh. I spend more time building castles than fighting though, but that's just me.

Does the HD patch get it to function in widescreen ? Because that killed it for me, but I'd still dabble if I could.

Yes, that's correct.

The original Total War games are still very good. I still play the first version Total War Rome from time to time. I understand the newer versions have problems(?). What is especially compelling about the TW series is that it's great to have the tactical game a la CM, but also have a grand strategic game on top.

This mod for Rome is fantastic if you haven't tried it:

Europa Barbarorum

http://www.europabarbarorum.com/

Europa Barbarorum is a modification of Rome: Total WarTM, a game by The Creative Assembly, that is motivated by the desire to provide Rome: Total War players with a more fun, challenging, realistic, and historically accurate gaming experience. Europa Barbarorum is a total conversion modification (mod), though it covers roughly the same time period as the Imperial Campaign included with Rome: Total War.

Takes the original Rome to another level of epic.