[WIP] Umlaut´s Factory Project

The scenario took my system about 3 minutes to load - which is not the longest I have experienced in the CM2 family - so no real problem there. However, once loaded. there was a lot of stuttering of the camera as I moved around, so my system is clearly at its limits.

I moved the "at start" units around and made a first move (WEGO). The game didn't crash, but the stuttering was bad and I didn't think I could play it and have fun with my current system (which was very good 5 years ago, but today...). Once vehicles started brewing up and smoke starts to emerge, I think my system would get even worse.

@Erwin don't be afraid to turn down the texture and model rendering settings before playing a large scenario such as this. Before I upgraded my machine I was having trouble with smooth camera motion and play back in Monty's Butchers. It was painful and frustrating to play my turns. Eventually I turned down the rendering settings and it helped immensely. Sure, things don't look as good but up close they still do and it meant the difference between the game being playable and not.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if the buildings surrounding the very edge of the map were all high multi-story, that would enable view to 3 and even 4. It might also increase the claustrophobic feeling which hopefully would make immersion even greater.

Hope you know what I mean...

OK, I get it now. I thought you were talking about editing/modding the space between the actual map and the background.

I don´t think lining the edge of the map with tall buildings would look very convincing/realistic. Plus it would enlargen the map even more - and thus put a greater strain on the players´ machines.

Lowering the texture and model rendering settings before playing a mod rich scenario might help. umlaut's modding appears to be very resource intense. His results look fantastic for sure but it may be the actual rendering activity required by the mod set within CMx2 that contributes to the stuttering. I don't know. Positing a possibility. Hope it all works out as romping through Umlauts Factory mod set at level 1-2 is striking :)

Beautiful destruction for sure. Some input...

- My system specs are in my sig.

- I left all my mods in the "z" folder and added yours into it... Figured if I am going to test this I might as well test it "fully loaded". :D

- The first time loading the scenario took around 3 min.

- Gave every unit a move command for over half of the map. Pressing the Go button, "Go" bar took around 10 seconds. each time so far (9 turns).

- I have everything cranked graphically and I am experiencing some slow down of video play and when moving my mouse around, not much and bearable (probably tweak-able). My video card is not the greatest, GTX 650 Ti 1.5 GB (I wanted to upgrade my card soon anyways).

- Save times are like instant, 3 seconds. This is after 9 turns.

- No crashes.

- Unlike Erwin and others, I have no issues with the "Billiard table" effect. Reminds me of a large miniature wargaming table. Nor do I mind viewing the map from any view level. Love the horizon destructed buildings, good effect.

I will try out several more turns and report back at some point.

Umlauts Factory files do make an impressive setting for an urban battle. The amount of work must be huge to make this mod set. Thanks Umlaut.

Ran another quick test removing every mod file in the Z-folder and only using Umlauts Factory files.

- Load times are 24" every setting maxed.

- Cursor and map scrolling stutter and crawl to almost unplayable.

- Playing RT and issuing a few commands the game plays but stutters a lot.

- No crashes.

Wonder what rendering activity required by the mod set within CMx2 engine / graphics contributes to the stuttering? This is the 1st scenario / mod set combination that significantly slowed the EVO Hackintosh ever :eek:

Buzz

EVO Hackintosh Specs:

3.89 GHz Intel Core i7

Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 4096 MB

OS X 10.9.5 (13F34)

DELL U2713HM Display

2560 x 1440

Well, I hope you do a test just on one edge.

Sorry, Erwin. I´ve spent enough time on this map already. Trying to expand it even further would be gambling with my sanity ;)

So:

Thanks a lot for the testing, guys. It has been a great help to me.

May we conclude that even though this mod set and map certainly challenges even powerful computers, there doesn´t seem to be any serious problems?

If so, I´ll commence launching procedures.

Greetings

Would like to try this but my commods account seems to have died and I have not been able to reactivate it.

Does anyone know how to contact Greenasjade? I have not been able to email him? Or even better.. Is this mod going to be uploaded to the repository?

Greetings

Would like to try this but my commods account seems to have died and I have not been able to reactivate it.

Does anyone know how to contact Greenasjade? I have not been able to email him? Or even better.. Is this mod going to be uploaded to the repository?

Have you tried sending him a PM here on the BFC site? Or how about just registering anew?

And no: The mod set etc is not going to be uploaded to the repository: It is way too large for their size limit.

• 4 months later...

Great work Umlaut!

Battlefronts description is very vague about their new Mod-system, using scenario specific modtags, so I've a couple of questions:

1) how can I use kind of mods like yours in game and in which folder do I've to put them?

2) can I use the single mod-files from your factory-mod, to replace the ones that come standard with the game?

3) can I create more scenario's/maps with files from your mod? and when yes, how does it work?

A lot of questions, but you would be of great help to answer them.

I'm a big fan of mods like yours and love to implement them in my gameplay.

Thanks!

Joël,

Holland

Hi Joel

Thanks a lot.

1) how can I use kind of mods like yours in game and in which folder do I've to put them?

It is actually not that complicated:

Like any other mods you must place the "Umlauts Factory" folder in your mods folder. On my win xp machine that is located in documents/battlefront/combat mission red thunder/data/mods (as far as I remember, not at home right now). But I think this varies from OS to OS.

If you have the mod set installed in the appropriate folder, then they will show up in any scenario that has the corresponding mod tag. In this case: [umlauts_factory]

For more about using mod tags read here:

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/113401-mod-tags-how-to-for-you/?hl=%2Bscenario+%2Bspecific+%2Btags

2) can I use the single mod-files from your factory-mod, to replace the ones that come standard with the game?

Yes, if you remove the mod tag from the bmp file, the bmp will override the original.

But when it comes to the buildings that will be a very bad idea!

I do not recommend using my building mods in scenarios that haven't been specifically designed for these mods. There are certain rather specific rules you have to adhere to when creating maps for my mod set. The main rule being that the modular damaged buildings can not have any doors or windows.

I have been meaning to make a full scenario designer' s guide to the mod set, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

3) can I create more scenario's/maps with files from your mod? and when yes, how does it work?

Yes, if you apply the mod tag, but again my answer for question 2 applies.

I think I'll have to make that scenario designer's guide soon. :-)

Cheers

Hi Joel

Thanks a lot.

It is actually not that complicated:

Like any other mods you must place the "Umlauts Factory" folder in your mods folder. On my win xp machine that is located in documents/battlefront/combat mission red thunder/data/mods (as far as I remember, not at home right now). But I think this varies from OS to OS.

If you have the mod set installed in the appropriate folder, then they will show up in any scenario that has the corresponding mod tag. In this case: [umlauts_factory]

For more about using mod tags read here:

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/113401-mod-tags-how-to-for-you/?hl=%2Bscenario+%2Bspecific+%2Btags

Yes, if you remove the mod tag from the bmp file, the bmp will override the original.

But when it comes to the buildings that will be a very bad idea!

I do not recommend using my building mods in scenarios that haven't been specifically designed for these mods. There are certain rather specific rules you have to adhere to when creating maps for my mod set. The main rule being that the modular damaged buildings can not have any doors or windows.

I have been meaning to make a full scenario designer' s guide to the mod set, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Yes, if you apply the mod tag, but again my answer for question 2 applies.

I think I'll have to make that scenario designer's guide soon. :-)

Cheers

So that is the trick, I've been wondering why my attempts have not been as good as yours when modifying the map.  :o