[WIP] Umlaut´s Factory Project

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you get mud working for sloped and piled rubble tiles, particularly when using ditch lock in the range +1 to +2m, or more?

Not at home to try, gimme a week, but I have used it playing around with the Venafro map but only on a very limited check. I'll need to focus on it a bit to give you a better answer.

BTW:

The wonderful rubble those AFVs are driving through is a mod I got from RockinHarry - based on the Red Rocky tile.

Thanks a lot for that, Harry - it has made a real difference in the map. Previously, I only had BFC´s stock Heavy Rock-rubble to work with, but that was inaccessible to vehicles. So it is great to be able to use rubble in the streets - without blocking them completely to vehicles.

You need some mud tiles modded as rubble. These guys need to risk bogging in some of this stuff :D

Yes, I do agree that it seems like the vehicles are getting through the rubble a little too easily. But that must be due to the way BFC has coded Red Rocky tiles

• 2 weeks later...

I am now very close to releasing the mod set and the map itself.

Unfortunately, my work on creating a scenario for the map has been set back a bit:

It turned out that my PC didn´t have RAM enough to run the scenario - and so the game crashed every time I tried to load it (I had no problems loading in the editor). The problem has been solved now, but it has made me reconsider the size of the map and the scenario. So I might scale things down a bit.

Anyway, it would be nice if a forumite (or more) would volunteer to help out by testing how his PC reacts to the scenario. I am not talking about actual playtesting, since the scenario is still in very early stages, but simply a test to see how the scenario runs on other computers (preferably not too powerful ones). If you´re up, please send me a PM.

In the meantime, more screenies:

15167766229_f1ac1f8a80_b.jpg22

15167766549_6408022763_b.jpg26

15167766029_35898b0494_b.jpg23

been playing around with it to see just what my PC is objecting to and it does appear to be something in the building folder. I have played around with some really massive maps in CM with stuff that I know normally chokes a PC and I haven't had it crash like this. I'll see if I can't isolate further.

good news, I was able to get it to run smoothly. What seems to be choking it is the ceiling and floor mod in the modular building file.

Due to the warning re mod conflicts, I removed my existing mod folder and used only Umlaut's Factory mods.

Well, the mod set is absolutely wonderful. It makes CMRT look almost like another game since the changes are profound and excellent. It's really fun to wander around this Stalingrad-like destroyed town. A truly amazing effort by Umlaut.

The scenario took my system about 3 minutes to load - which is not the longest I have experienced in the CM2 family - so no real problem there. However, once loaded. there was a lot of stuttering of the camera as I moved around, so my system is clearly at its limits.

I moved the "at start" units around and made a first move (WEGO). The game didn't crash, but the stuttering was bad and I didn't think I could play it and have fun with my current system (which was very good 5 years ago, but today...). Once vehicles started brewing up and smoke starts to emerge, I think my system would get even worse.

The scenario saved ok and quite quickly - 10-15 secs - which surprised me.

Re the "look" of the scenario level 1 and 2 are excellent. Once you get to 3 and above, you see the "billiard table" that surrounds CM2 maps and it spoils the immersion.

Not sure what can be done. Maybe if the entire map was surround by multi-floor buildings that would enable immersive level 3 viewing and you wouldn't see the "billiard table' until level 4 and higher.

In addition to the superbly modded town, this looks like a very interesting scenario. But, be warned... players will have to have a fast machine.

Erwin, have you tried Razer Cortex - Performance Enhancing Launcher?

Link: http://www.razerzone.com/cortex

You might be able to cut out some of the stuttering issues, maybe all, by using it to launch CM (and other games). Maybe not so much for this test scenario, but for other scenarios if you are experiencing stuttering issues with them. You may be able to get another year or two out of your present system using it. Worth a shot since it is a free download. It's that little blue pill for those old cpu's out there (and even the new ones). :D

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread, however this could be a useful link for anyone. This program helped me out when a flight sim, WOFF, was causing stuttering issues with my rig.

Thanks a lot for testing, Tony.

Here are some comments:

Due to the warning re mod conflicts, I removed my existing mod folder and used only Umlaut's Factory mods.

Just to clarify: Since this mod set uses scenario specific mod tags there shouldn´t be any conflict between these mods and other mods you might have - except if you have other extra flavor objects in your mods folder. More here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xglor0822uehail/The%20boring%20stuff%20you%20need%20to%20read%20to%20avoid%20unpleasant%20surprises.pdf?dl=0

So the only reason to remove other mods should be to avoid putting to much strain on your system - on top of the strain caused by this very large mod set.

Well, the mod set is absolutely wonderful. It makes CMRT look almost like another game since the changes are profound and excellent. It's really fun to wander around this Stalingrad-like destroyed town. A truly amazing effort by Umlaut.

Thank you very much. Seems like the map works as intended, then :)

In addition to the superbly modded town, this looks like a very interesting scenario.

The scenario provided with the test map is very far from finished and almost completely untested so it might be totally impossible to win. In fact, I think I am going to scrap it completely and start from scratch.

But I´ll release the mod set and the map as soon as the testing is done - without a tested scenario for the map.