PC specs and performance

I'm running an 8 core 4.0ghz processor (AMD 8350)

GTX780

8gb DDR3 RAM

Asus Sabertooth motherboard

7200 RPM HDD

and an adequate power supply.

I trounce most games.

I can disable shadows for more performance, but even then it's questionably bad.

Is it normal for the game to feature extremely low performance or is there maybe something I should change in Nvidia control panel??

Unfortunately the CPU is a crucial factor in the FPS for these games. Try turning the model quality down a little (I forget exactly what the setting is called) this will reduce the distance at which the very detailed models are drawn and will give you some extra frames.

Also - what do you class as bad performance? I have CM set to max graphics options, on an i5 2500k @ 4.7Ghz, with a 4GB GTX680 , and I'll consistently drop to 19/20 FPS under some circumstances. For that reason I limit the FPS to 30 by having vsync set at half the monitor's refresh rate, so that the peaks and troughs are not so far apart. This makes things much smoother.

I'm running an 8 core 4.0ghz processor (AMD 8350)

GTX780

8gb DDR3 RAM

Asus Sabertooth motherboard

7200 RPM HDD

and an adequate power supply.

I trounce most games.

What problem are you seeing? @Jock Tamson's advice is good if you are experiencing a problem. However, I recently upgraded to a new machine i5 3.7Ghz, 16Gb memory and a GTX760. That is less capable than yours. I have no trouble playing my largest games with maximum quality and shadows on. The camera operates smoothly and I have a frame rate above 20fps which looks pretty damn good to me no matter what is going on.

My old machine struggled with larger battles unless I turned down the model and texture quality. Even then I saw frame rates between 10 and 15 at times and the camera controls were a bit sluggish at times. Turning down the Options "3D Model Quality" and "3D Texture Quality" will give you a boost to the frame rate and help the camera controls operate smoothly.

You are only using one of those 8 cores. AMD processors from K10 (Bulldozer) and up have very interesting performance characteristics that and OK for many things and outright suck donkey balls for others.

So, what specifically are you seeing for low performance? Low panning speed?

You are only using one of those 8 cores. AMD processors from K10 (Bulldozer) and up have very interesting performance characteristics that and OK for many things and outright suck donkey balls for others.

So, what specifically are you seeing for low performance? Low panning speed?

Well. Perhaps my performance isn't really complain worthy, but I thought my system would run it a tad better.

I can run it steadily at 30fps with everything balanced, shaders on, shadows on(sometimes the shadows knock it down), trees on.

I run it at 30fps on purpose to get a smooth camera. I turn the Nvidia setting for v-sync to adaptive(half). Without the 30fps limit, I'll get slightly higher frames, but a horrible camera jarri-ness.

I recently upgraded to a new machine i5 3.7Ghz, 16Gb memory and a GTX760. That is less capable than yours.

It could very well be the intel. I won't battle about it. I only chose AMD, because I was told it was the best when I started building PCs years ago.

However, I do feel that it may be something odd. A setting, perhaps. Or that some of my hardware is being under utilized for some reason.

Sounds like you don't really have a problem then correct?

I can run it steadily at 30fps with everything balanced, shaders on, shadows on(sometimes the shadows knock it down), trees on.

When you say everything balanced do you mean the 3D texture and 3D model quality are set to Balanced or are you referring to something else that is balanced?

i7-920 at 4 Ghz with a 660Ti and turning on Adaptive Vsync and setting the refresh rate to half really makes a big difference for me.

3D Model Quality at Improved or Better, 3D Texture Quality at Best, Tree Detail at High and with shadows and shaders on gives me 30 fps almost all of the time except for a few seconds when I quickly rotate the screen when it drops to 27, but then it quickly climbs to 30 again. Very smooth!

Could be worse. When Rome Total War 2 came out some bought brand new rigs to run it and claim the title of biggest, baddest computer on the block.

They then screamed bloody murder when RTW2 wouldn't run or looked like a slideshow. Many with SLI rigs also had major issues.

Meanwhile people like me with good, but not top of the line systems had no issues. I have a 5+ year old system that I'm pleased with.

If there is one thing I've learned after all these years is being on the bleeding edge of tech is not always where you want to be. In a few years I may upgrade-and then pay far less for a decent system that today is top of the line.

My trustworthy liquid system I'm now using will be like a surplus Sherman tank that is handed down to the Israel. Not sexy, not the latest and greatest, but still very useful and a lot of bang for your buck.

I agree OP. Alienware is overpriced. You can do better for far less.

Well. Perhaps my performance isn't really complain worthy, but I thought my system would run it a tad better.

I run it at 30fps on purpose to get a smooth camera. I turn the Nvidia setting for v-sync to adaptive(half). Without the 30fps limit, I'll get slightly higher frames, but a horrible camera jarri-ness.

It could very well be the intel. I won't battle about it. I only chose AMD, because I was told it was the best when I started building PCs years ago.

However, I do feel that it may be something odd. A setting, perhaps. Or that some of my hardware is being under utilized for some reason.

That must have been some years ago, I remember a time when AMD was better than Intel around 2006 because I built an Opteron system instead of an Intel system. I currently have an i5-2500K setup with a GTX 650-Ti SC Boost and I am fairly happy with the performance. It sounds like it's in the ballpark with everyone else at 20 to 30 FPS depending on settings.

Here's a review to show where your chip stands if you care to read.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6396/the-vishera-review-amd-fx8350-fx8320-fx6300-and-fx4300-tested/5

I do believe Battlefront is continuing to optimize the game engine so that should help in the long run.

That must have been some years ago, I remember a time when AMD was better than Intel around 2006 because I built an Opteron system instead of an Intel system. I currently have an i5-2500K setup with a GTX 650-Ti SC Boost and I am fairly happy with the performance. It sounds like it's in the ballpark with everyone else at 20 to 30 FPS depending on settings.

Here's a review to show where your chip stands if you care to read.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6396/the-vishera-review-amd-fx8350-fx8320-fx6300-and-fx4300-tested/5

I do believe Battlefront is continuing to optimize the game engine so that should help in the long run.

I'm really glad to know that they may be continuing to optimize :].

Yep, tough times for us AMD fans - I still use a Phenom II 965 BE (mildly OC'ed from 3.4 to 3.7 GHz) in my tower. GPU is an AMD 7870HD, and it's still okay-ish for CMx2 battles. I held onto the promise that AMD was gonna release Kaveri (or some Steamroller-based CPU) on the AM3+ socket. But that didn't happen... I got a new laptop last year, a Haswell-core i7 4700MQ with an Nvidia 750M GPU (not as good as the tower's 7870, mind you) - even the mobile-version of the Intel proc spanks my tower when playing CM. (both machines outputting 1080p, both have SSD hard drives & have the same Aris-laden mods, etc.)

So now I have an Intel i7 4790K on pre-order, a 500GB Samsung Evo SSD & Corsair H50 cooler sitting here, and deciding on some Intel Z97-chipset motherboard this weekend... all to crush CM:RT (and the other CM titles) as best as I can. It's really the only game I play now. It will be the first Intel processor in my tower in over 14 years.

Useful Suggestion - Can someone create a 60-second CM test that could yield a 'score' for how your system is rendering the game? Or some such standardized, 3DMark ripoff where we can temporarily remove our Mods folder, run it & get a sense of what's what? Not a hardware pride-fest, guys, just a helpful measuring stick...