Nice way to get better trenches

I have discovered a neat way how to get more protective and better looking trenches for scenario designers.

trench1_zpsb2ceab0f.jpg

This is a German HMG team in a two-piece slit trench. The trench pieces sit on terrain that has been lowered by 1m compared to the surrounding ground using the ditchlook (blue) elevation fix mode. The troops have full LOS and LOF and are actually below groundlevel when set to hide. It looks pretty nice I think and also offers more protection.

While these are neither player placable nor hidden in FOW, I do believe this could be pretty useful for fixed position where the other side already knows the whereabouts of the enemy trench line.

Here is how it looks without any spotting done:

trench2_zpsd316f971.jpg

So it's not even completely obvious unless you take a closer look.

This works well enough if you've placed multiple random ditchlock depressions around the map in order to negate the unfortunate loss of FOW. Some players obsessively inspect every dent and dimple in the terrain beforehand. A single stretch of depressed soil along a likely defensive position is something of a giveaway.

On the other hand, wouldn't an extensive trench network be known to the enemy anyway?

It's not like they pop up over night...

lol - that is what I think every time this complaint comes up. It would be pretty rare where the enemy stubbles into a enemy trench system. Recon has likely found and reported any prepared front line defences. Now the only exception to this is if you are playing a battle where you are breaking through the front lines and would run into a second trench line defence. Now pre knowing that it exist migh be in question. But even then, Air recon might have spotted it.

So players really need to get over this issue to some extent.

On the other hand, wouldn't an extensive trench network be known to the enemy anyway?

It's not like they pop up over night...

Exactly. Unless extreme care has been taken in their construction and camouflage, they tend to show up like neon signs on aerial photography, or even if viewed from a hilltop. I wouldn't sorry too much about maintaining FOW. If it is a concern, like MikeyD says, placing random ditchlocks around the map will make the opposing player at least have to stop and think about which ones are the real deal and which are not. At least if the fakes are placed in likely positions where the real ones might go.

Michael