Buddy Aid

The one problem I have with giving buddy-aid is that the casualty will almost always inconsiderately fall across the border of 2, 3 or even 4 AS's, making a whole new sub-game of "guess the AS" in order to be in his AS to render aid. ;)

I have developed a technique to help with that - in WEGO. Whenever I have a small team doing buddy aid where the casualties are on a AS boundary I move the team to one of the AS and the slow move them to the next one with a pause (45s if they started out in one of the ASs less if they had to move there). Then when the turn ends they will likely be right on the edge of the AS often right over top of the casualty. I cancel the remainder of their move order and next turn they usually help the poor guy out.

While I have seen occasions when a trooper will give ( or attempt to give ) buddy-aid in an exposed position, I have certainly not experienced it "all the time".

I think that is one of those cases where you notice it because of the ill-effects of losing an extra man, but it's not exactly common. Certainly not common enough to need a tweak from BFC - them's the breaks.

I agree.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have developed a technique to help with that - in WEGO. Whenever I have a small team doing buddy aid where the casualties are on a AS boundary I move the team to one of the AS and the slow move them to the next one with a pause (45s if they started out in one of the ASs less if they had to move there). Then when the turn ends they will likely be right on the edge of the AS often right over top of the casualty. I cancel the remainder of their move order and next turn they usually help the poor guy out.

It is also worth issuing just a Face command pointing to the casualty...seems to work most of the time for me.

Incidentally National Geographic Channel ran a series called 'Inside Combat Rescue' where a Nat Geo camera crew followed an Air Force Para Rescue team around Afghanistan for about four months. Although I did serve in the military back in the 80s I never saw any combat (thank goodness), but the absolute carnage that the Para Rescue men saw on an almost daily basis in Afghanistan was pretty incredible. At first it was fairly riveting viewing, but then it started to bother me and by the time the last episode was on I could barely watch it. Just the absolute carnage and broken bodies from explosions .... blown off limbs, gunshots to the head, a man drowning in his own blood, it was pretty brutal stuff. I've got to hand it to those medics who deal with that stuff on a regular basis. Just a few days of that and I have to think that you would start to question what you were doing there. It was obvious that the Para Rescue men felt a great deal of satisfaction in saving the lives of the wounded, but you could also see the strain coming through from dealing with all that human destruction on a regular basis.

Going back to the original post for a bit - there was absolutely no way those Para Rescue men could do anything in the prone position. It was just not possible. Thank goodness that we are only blowing up pixel soldiers. If only all wars could be fought with pixel troops. :(

Incidentally National Geographic Channel ran a series called 'Inside Combat Rescue' where a Nat Geo camera crew followed an Air Force Para Rescue team around Afghanistan for about four months. Although I did serve in the military back in the 80s I never saw any combat (thank goodness), but the absolute carnage that the Para Rescue men saw on an almost daily basis in Afghanistan was pretty incredible. At first it was fairly riveting viewing, but then it started to bother me and by the time the last episode was on I could barely watch it. Just the absolute carnage and broken bodies from explosions .... blown off limbs, gunshots to the head, a man drowning in his own blood, it was pretty brutal stuff. I've got to hand it to those medics who deal with that stuff on a regular basis. Just a few days of that and I have to think that you would start to question what you were doing there. It was obvious that the Para Rescue men felt a great deal of satisfaction in saving the lives of the wounded, but you could also see the strain coming through from dealing with all that human destruction on a regular basis.

Going back to the original post for a bit - there was absolutely no way those Para Rescue men could do anything in the prone position. It was just not possible. Thank goodness that we are only blowing up pixel soldiers. If only all wars could be fought with pixel troops. :(

This is an excellent post, but we're not talking about major medical care, just stanching the blood flow and applying bandages. Which I believe can be accomplished prone, and even if it can't, should probably be that way in the game to avoid the lemming-medic phenomenon we've got right now.

It is also worth issuing just a Face command pointing to the casualty...seems to work most of the time for me.

Yes, the face command it my go to way of getting buddy aid to start. I just find that when the casualties are on the edge of an AS and the aid team is small (2 or 3 man), the face command does not work as well. But for a full squad yeah, face works every time.

This is an excellent post, but we're not talking about major medical care, just stanching the blood flow and applying bandages. Which I believe can be accomplished prone, and even if it can't, should probably be that way in the game to avoid the lemming-medic phenomenon we've got right now.

The problem with your point of view is that the degree of medical aid that the wounded man requires depends upon the wound, not upon what the person giving aid wants to treat. If a man has lost a limb there are certain specific things that the patient requires to have done and those things can't be done while the person providing that aid is prone. Therefore, if the person providing aid tries to provide that aid while prone the result will be that the patient will die. It's really that simple. I would suspect that if someone could treat a casualty while prone then the wound being treated is not serious enough to cause death. So in game terms you could consider those casualties to be yellow casualties.

I would suspect that if someone could treat a casualty while prone then the wound being treated is not serious enough to cause death. So in game terms you could consider those casualties to be yellow casualties.

That's a good way of putting it.

To me, this is insane. When I move through forests, I generally click where I want my troopies to go, and that's it. I might make a few modifications to keep the platoon together, but other than that, I pretty much click once and that's it.

I will admit that it never occured to me to manually assign area fire in forest situations. I thought that letting the troops pick their own targets was good enough.

How do you move your squads by bounds if you don't use pauses?

How do you move your squads by bounds if you don't use pauses?

I generally will issue orders to one or two of the squads, and leave the other one motionless to cover them.

I can't imagine setting up a series of pauses every time I wanted to move a platoon anywhere. That sounds like the worst kind of drudgery.

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of the worst aspects of this game. Whatever idiot game designer thought buddy aid was a good idea should be fired and fed to piranha's (slowly). Buddy aid is a horribly daft concept and should be completely separate from the collection of material from the dead and wounded. This game has so many thoughtful features, that's why buddy aid is so incredibly idiotic. As stated; it can take time to get started on collection or collect at inopportune times. I've had soldiers almost lying on top of dead comrades that wouldn't pick-up weapons or ammo until I ran them away from the bodies. Stupid! And if you are trying to pick-up a SMG, forget about it. Why won't one of these clearly overpaid BF monkeys change the coding to allow the retrieved of SMG’s. It is maddening!

The ACQUIRE KEY is what should be used to gather all material not just in vehicles or bunkers. We SHOULD have ability to pick up weapons (quickly if needed) by the use of the ACQUIRE KEY. What should take the place of buddy aid has been discussed frequently on the forum and that is adding medical personnel, which would be the best option.

This is another in a long list of s**t that needs to be addressed by the BF crew. But apparently churning out new games and game engines instead of listening to their customers is BF's priority. Positive game reviews makes the BF machine happy but us customers want alterations to this existing extremely flawed game now! Not in BFs exceedingly slow time line if it happens at all.

Your main problem is that CM doesn't have 'collection'.

What it does have is Buddy Aid. And the overwhelming consensus is that BA is a good and positive addition to the game. A byproduct of BA is that the weapons, ammo, and equipment of the aided men may get collected. But that is not, and never was, the main purpose of including BA. Plenty of people want collection to be the thing, and expect that to be the case, and whine like children that it isn't. But, as the game stands, all those people are flat out wrong.

...Why won't one of these clearly overpaid BF monkeys change the coding to allow the retrieved of SMG’s...

You are in no way helping to support your point by posting outbursts like this.

I've been playing BF's games since 2000 and the words "extremely flawed" have never crossed my mind in relation to anything they've done.

The one problem I have with giving buddy-aid is that the casualty will almost always inconsiderately fall across the border of 2, 3 or even 4 AS's, making a whole new sub-game of "guess the AS" in order to be in his AS to render aid...

I agree with this. Like others, I've developed a few techniques to deal with it. Still, it can take a lot more work than it should--and sometimes you just need lots of warm bodies in the area to make buddy aid work.

Buddy aid is better as it is than no buddy aid at all.

And as for picking up SMGs the problem is more to do with SMGs seeming to be too good compared to the other weapons. Squads without a single SMG are nowhere near as effective as a squad with a single SMG.

Not sure if this is a problem with the game engine (a single guy firing a SMG is usually a lot more effective than 9 guys firing rifles) or more that the scenarios design rely on infantry getting kills with bullets as opposed to troops retreating under fire or getting killed by HE.

superwoz, i kinda wonder that you havent been banned yet. Less because of you criticising the games (i looked through the other posts you made in this forum and some of your points are valid, although you have a slight tendency to exaggerate them IMO) but more because of your consistent use of personal insults aginst those who own this forum.

Superwuzz,

I think buddy aid works great as is. CM is not about being able to aquire the exact weapon composition of your squad or the ammo type to be used in various situations. This has always, and will continue to be duties of the TacAI. It wont change caused by a few outburst from spoiled brats. Why? Because BF does listen to their customers and they dont want what your asking. Majority rules..

I would like inf to pick up SMGs if their squad has lost theirs. A a simple request without being a douche. It is possible you know.

On another note.. the SMG code, at longer ranges I think it could be looked at. The goal would be quick snappshots rather than bursts. IMO, and I have fired SMGs, is that at ranges longer than 50 meters, bursts are just a waste of ammo.

Superwus I agree they should fire that overpaid BF monkey. However as CM is still a reasonably priced game considering the amount of effort involved I am pretty certain nobody at BF is overpaid. I do know I haven't see any BF employees in the news ala Justin Bieber so if they are overpaid, they are at least displaying decent discretionary behavior

In the meantime some of us actually like the feature. Go figure

Wait, what? BFC has Clearly Overpaid Monkeys on staff?

Where does one get an application for this job? Sounds like exactly the job I'm looking for.

Yeah but you only get paid in bananas and the bank gets ornery if you try to deposit them overnight by pushing through the slot on the ATM. Life is hard sometimes.

Michael