Cassino?

Interesting comment by Chris on his YouTube site - work is ongoing on a Cassino map, with an implication that it may be released by Battlefront - perhaps a module/pack for CMFI? I hope so...

I think it is no secret, though he even surprised me with the announcement :D As to what form it's release will come I don't believe it is yet known.

The map is .. er big. really big. and really tall. Did I mention big. It will not be able to cover all the Cassino battles - even Thunder at Cassino from AH had to focus on the 3rd battle as anything more just threw their map issues out the window and that is with them using platoon scale maneuver elements. My personal hope is that we see the Indian divisions and it be part of that as they were crucial to the fight...and Gurkhas...with knives. Yeah really sharp knives.

Further details will have to wait for Chris.

There is already a scenario of the battle by the 34th ID to hook around and above the town included in GL. That battle incidentally resulted in 80% casualty rates to the Infantry battalions of 34th ID.

As forewarning, the map did not begin as an attempt to really recreate the fight. It started mostly out of curiosity to see just what did it look like. 2D hex and area game maps just have never given me a feel for what it must have been like and why the allied troops cheered so much at the bombing of the monastery. Several of the books I have read talked about the "brooding" affect the monastery had on the troops. In 3d you really begin to understand. One drawback to this "creation process" is I did not re orient the map used as a layer. The result is it is off 90 degrees. Sorry, it probably won't matter to most but bugs the crap out of me every time I look at it.

The map is .. er big. really big. and really tall. Did I mention big. It will not be able to cover all the Cassino battles - even Thunder at Cassino from AH had to focus on the 3rd battle as anything more just threw their map issues out the window and that is with them using platoon scale maneuver elements.

You wouldn't really want to, anyway. In the area already mapped there were 3 or 4 divisions fighting simultaneously. Even the most bonkers of giganticism fans would quail at that, I hope.

You wouldn't really want to, anyway. In the area already mapped there were 3 or 4 divisions fighting simultaneously. Even the most bonkers of giganticism fans would quail at that, I hope.

LOL no I wasn't suggesting fighting the whole thing, more of a "no you can't cut this map up and use for individual portions of the 1st and 2nd battles for Cassino. As it is I think it will require some slicing to actually run but it is 3x3+. Basically the Rapido to just past the Monastery and from the hummock by the round house to the Barracks east of Cassino.

edit - I think I may have mis understood. You have seen the map early on, I think you mean 3-4 divisions on this map alone. I defer to your knowledge on the subject but my impression is there were portions of the 4th Ind and 2nd NZ, but over a week's period.

Well this all sounds very promising for someone who would very much like to see some more scenarios set in this theatre :)

Well the intent as I understand it was always to have CMFI extend to the end of the war and there is still a lot to do. I have a strong suspicion you will get your wish.

One of the best characteristics of the Italian theatre IMO is the huge variety of nationalities and unit involved. You can really mix up the forces available for players to explore and fight. My personal pipedream wishlist to see a module or a packs for:

- Free French (inc North African)

- Indian forces

- Gothic Line module. :P

- Not to mention the Gebirgsjäger

Probably a million other things I can't think of for the moment.

I think you mean 3-4 divisions on this map alone. I defer to your knowledge on the subject but my impression is there were portions of the 4th Ind and 2nd NZ, but over a week's period.

I'm almost certain that there were some Germans there too ;)

ISTR that they had a major part in the final victory at Cassino
Sort of ... but not really.

The Poles showed great dash and courage to take the Monastary and the high ground behind it, but by time they did it those positions were all but irrelevant. The major part of the final victory goes to the French who advanced through the hills on the other side of the valley, outflanking the German positions and completely dislocating their defensive scheme.

I just read 'Ten Armies in Hell', which I recommend for anyone interested in Cassino. Tells the importance of the French (North African) contribution to the battle, of which I had known little.

British Pathe on Youtube has some pretty amazing footage of the terrain during the battle, for all you scenario designers. Just search 'British Pathe Cassino'.