City Combat

Guest Captain Foobar

Guest Captain Foobar

It has been discussed in previous threads, but my question is as a scenario designer? Are there any additional building types, or have we seen them already?

Will there be any chance that BTS could model us some additional buildings, AND allow us to "crowd" buildings together to simulate a dense urban area?

Although most battles in WW2 were fought in the sort of terrain used in the 3 scenarios, there is some really choice fighting/competition that could be simulated if we were to have an urban combat scenario. Are there any good examples of large scale city fighting on the Western Front? (maybe antwerp?)

Aachen, Brest, Caen, and St. Vith are a few cities where Germans and the Western Allies fought. However, even a place like St. Lo is big enough to fill most of those maps or would have some industry where it would be nice to have some factory and warehouse building types.

Dar

Guest Captain Foobar

I would extend my request to include not only some factory/industrial buildings, but is there any way we could get a couple more road types? Maybe some cobblestone? The other type of building that would be nice to get is a couple government styled buildings (with columns in front) and maybe a fountain or two.

I know the request might seems silly, but how cool would it be to have an immersive city environment to fight in?

Hey, fountains are cool.

But that brings up an interesting side issue. In most city fights, there were all these civilians running around getting caught in crossfires and such. Not to mention civilian cars, trucks, and streetcars blocking and burning in the streets. Any chance of having that happen in CM?

-Bullethead

From the looks of a screen shot in the thread mentioned by Ben, it seems as if large building can be butted against each other. This leads me to a question I had while reading Closing With the Enemy. According to that book, a common tactic for US troops fighting in urban areas would be to simply blow their way through the walls of buildings and advance through buildings rather than streets that were covered by the Germans. Could something like this be modeled in CM?

It would seem difficult to me. In fact, true city fighting would seem to be difficult to replicate as a whole. Every artillery shell changes the look of the battlefield at this level, roads become impassable, sewer systems become routes for flanking maneuvers, and every closet has to cleared for threat of an ambush.

DMEEK, as the game is currently built, troops moving into or out of a building may move "through" walls (simulates crawling through windows etc) so this can be used to go from one building directly into another building alongside it.

Somewhere in the distant past BTS talked about having troops required to use front doors, but I don't know what became of this. Probably too hard to code in.

DjB

Actually Doug, you're wrong. This made it in.

basically ANY building can be entered via an "exterior wall" ( I define this as a wall which is NOT touching any other walls or buildings) BUT interior walls cannot be passed through.

The blowing up of interior walls to gain access to a next-door building is not modelled.

Only so much can be done in CM1 unfortunately.

Personally I think buildings and animations will be one of the areas which will be most improved in CM2 vis a vis CM1 if that sates any appetites.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers