All the sweet mod´s but what about memory footprint?

this is a tech noob question i guess, but when i see veins germans and russians have roughly 700mb? does that mean i have 700 mb in memory every time there are russians and german soldiers on the board, this increadsed by all the nice aris vehicles mods? and i got kiemes´s buildings also.

i am not sure i notice a FPS loss, but i wowuld be interessted in how much bigger or how much more memory is used compared to stock? i am not sure i can just continue replacing every medium-res texture in the game with high res textures and suffer no penalty :D

is there any downside to run all the big mods together?

also how many hulls´can a vehicle have now? also penetration decals? first thing i did with aris vehicles mods was to select one hull per vehicle and rename the hulls, i thought i can only have 1 hull? but had to find out that not the case and reinstall all the vehicles mods again.

but now i was thinking to look through the vehicles and delete some hulls on vehicles that have a excessive number of hulls as every different hull adds to the memory footpront or not?

anyone tech savy and can explain this to me?

Can't speak for the other mods you use but my Soviet mod won't have any impact at all on memory or performance as the textures are the same size as the original.

The german mod uses more uniform variations for helmets and uniforms, 5 or 6 more probably. I don't notice any impact but if you have an ancient machine you might but I doubt it.

I don't use higher resolution textures as a rule.

Same here, all the buildings, guns etc. mods I've done have the same size as the originals, so the number of pixels is the same, they just change color.

If you have let's say 5 more hull variations on a vehicle than the vanilla's single one I doubt it will impact gameplay directly, but only loading times of the game or mission, but in any case I'm pretty sure they should be milliseconds.

ah thats good to know, my machine isnt that ancient, but i was thinking better i get some intel on this now befor i bog down my game over time and then i have to "choose" what to delete, which would be hard to choose.

now that i know, i love how you make the stuff look much better(i like the rag´tag variations on infantry a lot since CMSF rag´tagging) but keeping file size the same. that is sweet.

anyone know what textures can have how many variations now? or is this unlimited and i could add 20 hulls for vehicel xy for example?

EDIT:

@Kieme, you posted while i made a post to, so need to edit, many thx for the promt info!

Basically, for the most part, all of the memory that's being used by mods would be used by the default textures anyway, so in most cases performance is the same. High-resolution textures (I believe CMx2 supports up to x2 standard res) and other things that replace low filesize default items with higher fidelity ones will knock off a few FPS in total; but I have about 4gb of mods at the moment and there's maybe 1-2 frames of difference.

I've got a ton of mods going (thanks Vein, Aris, Kieme, Waclaw, Juju, Saferight, and everybody else for some really outstanding work!) and I ran a quick test comparison with stock CMRT yesterday. I didn't notice any difference at all in frame rates.

Most mods are a simple 1:1 swap of existing sized textures so will have zero influence on framerate. High res mods are another matter. I recall during testing my machine would choke briefly while panning around the map. I tracked the problem down to the newly introduced dead cow flavor object. A combination of high poly count and large texture art. When the dimensions of the BMP art file was cut in half the framerate problem magically went away. And for a dead cow the art still looked perfectly decent. :)

• 1 year later...