C2 questions

So in this game I'm playing, I have a scout in a very prominent but concealed position. Nearly 90% of the contacts I've spotted have been from him. Unfortunately, he does not have a radio and is not in C2 with his platoon HQ. Strangely though he shows a green dot for company and battalion HQ :confused:? (they're not anywhere near him)

So a few questions.

1) Is it worth the trouble to try to get his platoon HQ in visual or even hearing distance of him? From reading around here I've gathered that one unit in C2 with another will slowly give friendly units his knowledge of enemy positions.

So will moving the scout's HQ into C2 have the benefit of giving other units on the map better contacts? Is there any real benefit to them having spotted contacts through one degree of separation (i.e. does it make them more likely to spot enemy units that the scout can see)?

2) Finally --- why does the scout have green C2 for company and battalion HQ and is that "enough" for him to spread his intel to the rest of the battalion or do I need to get the scout into C2 with his platoon HQ as well?

2) Finally --- why does the scout have green C2 for company and battalion HQ and is that "enough" for him to spread his intel to the rest of the battalion or do I need to get the scout into C2 with his platoon HQ as well?

The platoon leader has contact with company and company commander with battalion? I don't think can share with anyone except those in his vicinity, except very slowly.

The green is not an indicator of the scout's C2. That is an indicator onf the C2 of those units to the ones above. The indicators for C2 for a unit you have selected are in the UI showing visual, audible, distant audible and radio. If you do not see those the unit has no c2 link. And yes you would want to move a platoon HQ up if you want to have him share info - assuming you have a need. If he is just there to allow you the player to observe he has all the c2 links he needs. :D

It is helpful to look at the UI for c2 this way. Click on a unit. Ask yourself who can he communicate with. Does he see anyone, can he talk to them, yell or perhaps use a radio? If none of the above he is all alone in this world. This is one of the reasons I like Iron mode. It has a much clearer depiction of how isolated a unit is.

So does the C2 sharing have a real effect in terms of making it more likely for a friendly to spot an enemy contact seen by the scout?

my understanding is yes it does. The time it takes is dependent on how close they are in the chain of command.

The green is not an indicator of the scout's C2. That is an indicator onf the C2 of those units to the ones above. The indicators for C2 for a unit you have selected are in the UI showing visual, audible, distant audible and radio. If you do not see those the unit has no c2 link. And yes you would want to move a platoon HQ up if you want to have him share info - assuming you have a need. If he is just there to allow you the player to observe he has all the c2 links he needs. :D

It is helpful to look at the UI for c2 this way. Click on a unit. Ask yourself who can he communicate with. Does he see anyone, can he talk to them, yell or perhaps use a radio? If none of the above he is all alone in this world. This is one of the reasons I like Iron mode. It has a much clearer depiction of how isolated a unit is.

To nitpick a little, but also for clarity: I think the alternatives are visual close, visual distant, voice ... and radio. That is, the distance distinction is for visual not voice.

As an aside, after a thread on this aspect of what the UI actually means, and how it is explained in the manual, the manual for RT has a better explanation, but still explains (page 31) the UI panels in the order of 7:Chain of command; 8: Ammo; 9:C2 link and 10: Suppression - "out of order" with their physical location on the screen, and breaking the link (!) between chain of command and C2 link. I thought Steve had agreed that the order of explanation in the manual would be changed to switch 9 and 8 around to illustrate better the link between chain of command and C2. (That the icon in C2 link illustrates the method of comms shown to exist by the green dot in the first line of chain of command ... AFAIUI!)