CM sales and other thoughts...

Dear Battlefront,

Just curious, how many copies of CM have already been pre-ordered? I hope it is a lot. I would really like to see you guys along w/ other wargame developers out there succeed.

I'm oh so tired of seeing nothing more than the Command and Conquer clones which so many in the general public accept as "wargames" come out one after the other. How utterly stupid do the major game publishers think us Joe Publics (groganards and non-grog's alike) out here are that we will keep buying the same game over and over again just because it has been reset in a different time frame / environment and comes in a shiny new box? What ever happened to creativity in game development? Did it die with the invention of Command & Conquer and Doom? Are we as gamers to be relegated to only seeing and buying the crap that the big publishers and retailers push onto the store shelves? Please, oh please, just tell me it isn’t so.

And what of the state of wargaming itself? Computer and board wargaming alike both seem to be dying even as I write this. Why, oh why? Even some of the actual wargames that are out there like Close Combat, which fun to play, are so filled w/ enough erroneous game modeling and other errors that they are totally unrealistic in my view. In fact some of the errors in CC are so bad they actually detract from the game play to the point that you don't even want to bother playing the game anymore! What’s worse just look at the number of games that come out in general that have a totally worthless manual (some of them should be burned), or are so filled with bugs that they never should have been released in the first place. What ever happened to quality and accuracy in wargaming? Has this too gone by the wayside?

Worst of all, much (maybe even most) of what is out there in the way of computer games in general on the store shelves today is pure utter junk! Yes there are some great titles out there. But, they too also seem to be getting fewer and far between in their appearances. I guess when I and hopefully many others stop spending our hard earned money on the computer gaming crap shoved into our faces by the big publishers and retailers things will start to change for the better. Are you listening out there you big game corporations?

Being a wargamer for last 20 years (started at the ripe old age of 12 playing AH's Midway), and a computer gamer for the last 10+ years I do sincerely wish you and your co-developers the best of luck in this venture that you have undertaken. Your success, or failure, may very well be a pivotal point in the struggle I go through to find quality games. Especially the "real wargames" that I do so dearly enjoy playing. And thanks for trying to preserve our hobby as well as design and develop some kick-ass games like CM. It is about high time that something like this happened! It looks like there may very well still be hope for us die hard wardogz and arm chair generals out here. I most certainly hope so.

Regards,

Mike D.

aka Mikester

Guest Big Time Software

Hey Mike, I think you just proved that this board software doesn't have an upper limmit for text space smile.gif Hey, but I did read every word of it, and oddly enough, agree with every word! We certainly think it is about time that someone tried to change the way things have been going, but since nobody else wanted to, might as well be us.

Steve