What's good, and not good, about CMMODS?

Hi All,

As I mentioned in another thread, work is afoot to move CMMODS to a new, less costly, home, and to expand what it does/holds.

It won't be the same code/design at the new place, for various reasons.

So it seems like a good time to ask: what is good, and what is not so good, about CMMODS? What should we "make sure we don't break" in the transition?

Thanks,

GaJ

My two cents:

good - easy to follow and comfortable upload form / uploaded management

good - simple and quick interface / menus

bad - I have to re-login every time I visit

bad - preview picture can't be opened to full size when the mod is selected

Possible improvement:

ability to sort out mods by clicking on the up screen elements such as: Athor / title / mod type / country

Generally, a very good site already.

I agree with Kieme and Aris: More - and larger - preview photos would be nice. Having the option to post comments and perhaps ratings would also be nice.

Thanks for providing the site :)

I have to relog every time I visit too.

I wouldn't mind being able to preview the photos after I have selected the mod (as it stands you can only do that while still in the list view).

More sorting options would be nice too.

But even if you kept it just the way it is, I'd be happy :)

Yep the login thing is weird. As far as I can tell the only way to login is to try and download something. Then after logging in your kicked back to the main page and gotta go back to what you want to download.

+1 to having more preview pics or at least the ability to have a bigger resolution pic.

Other then that, it's a great site, good job, we still and will always love it! So thanks for having it for us.

Yep the login thing is weird. As far as I can tell the only way to login is to try and download something. Then after logging in your kicked back to the main page and gotta go back to what you want to download.

+1 to having more preview pics or at least the ability to have a bigger resolution pic.

Other then that, it's a great site, good job, we still and will always love it! So thanks for having it for us.

The login button is at the foot of the first page - and for me, always off the screen; I have to scroll down to see it, but you can log in first if you do that.

Agree that it would be helpful to see that box at the top of the first page ...

Not much else to change beyond that; download times and access are always good for me.

I think you could (in the light of your thread on costs and donations ...) perfectly justifiably make the "donate" button and process more prominent: perhaps a few words about your personal funding of this, not official BF site, etc? I'm sure you would not want to be seen to "beg", but it seems entirely proper to me to be more upfront about it, and remind us (OK, me!) what may happen if we don't help out with the costs ...

And as always, thanks!

More +1's.

Speed, interface, and search are great.

Tiny preview picture is not.

Staying logged in would be nice, but at least I only have to type the first letter of each.

Great site as is.. otherwise +1 to Vergeltungswaffes suggested improvements.

I disagree that a donate button is necessary. It detracts from a 'donation day' like what we've just seen. I don't know how much has been donated but I bet it would be considerably more than over the course of a year using the donate button.

Previews need to be larger and perhaps offer more than one.

Login needs addressed in some shape or form.

Perhaps a few more features could be added to the search functionality.

But I love the site generally.

I disagree that a donate button is necessary. It detracts from a 'donation day' like what we've just seen.

But GaJ had (somewhat reluctantly, I guess) to ask for that: the idea is he shouldn't have to ...

I don't know how much has been donated but I bet it would be considerably more than over the course of a year using the donate button.

Which was rather the idea of making the donation button and process more prominent, so that this would not be the case ... ;)

But, of course, it is up to GaJ anyway!

CMMODS is actually only a MODS site by design.

This is because when CMMODS was developed, the place for scenarios and missions was The Scenario Depot. A long time ago now.

A hole emerged when CMx2 came along and The Scenario Depot did not move to include CMx2.

This hole will be plugged when the next evolution of CMMODS comes along: new, low cost (hopefully free) infrastructure, and scenario/mission support.

GaJ

I think the item you most should have is a donations 'thermometer, across the top of the screen, showing how much of the target amount has been donated this month. Like on this beekeeping forum: http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/index.php?

Other than that an ability to search by various categories/classes/sub-classes.

If you are going to add in scenarios this is going to be important as people search by date (although not as much as in CMx1 since the timespan is much shorter) area, unit type (got to keep the SS fanboys happy ;) ) type of scenario, size, etc.

You need a ratings button and a number of downloads counter to show popularity. I would not go down the route of a comments box and this will inevitably morph into a full blown discussion forum - leave that to BF.

I think you need a special mention to the original "rescue team" and then remove our uploads totals from the scoresheet as no one is ever going to top those totals!

Great site which I use all the time.

Solving the login issue would be useful but certainly not the end of the world if it can't be done.

Bigger preview picture/ multiple pictures would be nice as would search by category.

But even if nothing changes I will still be a regular user.

Well, top of my wishlist would be the ability to filter by type of mod (terrain, unit, map, sound etc). It's great to be able to sort by date/downloads etc, but it would be nice to be able to see just the sound mods for example, as they tend to get lost in the swathes of graphical mods. Perhaps as an extension to this, being able to filter by "Modified Object"...

Second, when you go into a list of mods (by date, for example), it would be nice if things like column titles were click-able (to change sorting), and the same for Author/Country etc (to change filtering).

As it stands, it's a good site, but a few additions it could be much more easy to navigate and find what you need.

HTH :)

Jamie

Okay, here's one from the uploader's side that I'd like to see changed: I like to include version numbers in my mod file titles. I don't/can't, however, because updated mods always need to have the exact same file name they had when you first upload them. Can that be changed?

Since day 1 where this went up, i liked it. its clean and all sortable. if the repository would be like that it would be just sweet :D

bad thing i lost my password long time ago for my Pandur user account, if that still exists. I am reluctant to register again :(

• 4 weeks later...

GAJ: You did a great job with CMMODS. Yes, larger previews pics would be great. But, the only gripe I have had is that often older mods seem to come up earlier before newer mods - causing confusion. (Not sure this was ever addressed.)

Hope you get CMSF (and CMA) mods back up as well.

It is very difficult to browse through CMMODs, since you can only sort by date, downloads, and author, and as far as I can tell, doing a search brings up mods for ALL the games (I just did a search for "panther" and the first page of results was all from CMBB...).

Therefore, it would be great if in addition to date, downloads, and author, you could add additional categories such as Units, Structures, Terrain, FX, Sounds, and UI (or something like that), so that I could easily look at all of the CMRT building mods or UI mods, etc.

That would be a most welcome addition to me, along with additional preview shots (plus being able to view previews after you've selected the mod).