Trying to get AI engineers to blow a hole in barbed wire

Haven't pulled this off yet.

Order type: Advance.

Stance: Active? Normal? Cautious?

I have tried cautious. I watch in scenario editor mode and see the plotted movement line across the obstacle. Then the turn starts and they go back to hugging dirt.

I really want to have the engineers blow a hole in the wire and then proceed through and trigger follow-on AI orders through that same hole.

I will go back and really tweak the objective of the movement order to closer to the wire obstacle.

Shucks. I guess I will have to edit the gap and put the sapper team there and have them crawl a few meters to trigger the follow-on. Heroes of the Soviet Union my arse...

Funny. I had this particular team under the microscope on one flank as I tweaked the orders and observed and retweaked and reobserved. I then look over at another team and see a crater and one of their demo charges is missing. Hmmm. Did they use a DC to open the wire? Does it leave a crater when the DC blows a gap in the wire? I couldn't replay the turn. It was already over. Dang. But I can go and look at their orders and stuff and do some analysis. Maybe I will pour myself a Deep Eddy Ruby Red on the rocks first. Time for a drink. Cheers if you join me!

Demo charge does indeed leave a crater. You may have experienced the world's first instance of AI blowing barbed wire! :D

Its really hard to string barbed wire that the AI can't walk around. Even if you anchor the ends to water or deep marsh they usually manage to find enough of a gap and will do the 'long walk' to get around it.

I didn't see it happen so let me keep trying to recreate it.

I had a few gaps to simulate a breach in one area that had already occurred but the AI didn't make these teams out on the flanks do the long end run, this time at least...

Meanwhile, I do have an alternative. I send a tank through. It opens a gap in the wire and then I use a Friendly armor trigger to move up the infantry. The AI groups I wasted on the sapper teams I can reallocate to individual tanks. A little randomness on whoever gets through AT defenses and mines to touch the trigger and create the swarm of invaders.

I set-up a little scenario with some obstacles and then set the AI plan to just have them advance through. Sapper squads and an added breach team all did as ordered.

They breached the wall, hedge and barbed wire. Now they are staring at this old lady's fence and are afraid to blow it. None dare suffer the wrath of Babushka.

shot51_zpsfe63f698.jpg

SO WHY ISN'T IT WORKING IN MY SCENARIO? ENEMY FIRE?

Well, it took a bit but now I have what I wanted. Soviets are trying to penetrate the defensive line with sappers.

Order type: Advance with normal stance.

In the map editor use something very easy to see as the tile for the barbed wire.

I used a crop.

shot53_zpscaac3e76.jpg

So when you set your AI yellow squares you can put one on each side of the crop square and your sappers will do the rest.

shot54_zps60e4bd89.jpg

shot55_zpsf8117027.jpg

Later, you change it back to grass, tall grass, etc. as desired.

When you play the battle in scenario author mode you can select the team and see the red line from the team crossing the barbed wire or other obstacle.

shot52_zps4fe4ca9d.jpg

Then a bit later, ka boom! and a big crater.

shot56_zps8cebc679.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Something is slightly unstable and I am not sure why.

I have 2 AI groups of sappers doing the wire breach AOK.

But another group is not. They go into what I now call the "planning ripple" as the lower left corner shows various soldiers planning, then a different guy planning, then a different guy, very rapidly. They also get up from prone and then take a knee, then back down then back up. Ants in their pants or something!

I experimented with different group composition and it seemed to have no factor. breach team by itself. sapper team with an HQ, 2 sapper teams together.

It always was on this one part of the map. An AI group who did blast the wire on the left flank, did not blast when reassigned to this location.

So, it must be some oddity with the barbed-wire perhaps.

I just cleared it all out and saved the file and will repurchase wire and lay it in place to see if that solves it. Very odd.

This is basically the last thing to finish before releasing the scenario.

OK, I went and swam a mile and thought this over. I came up with an idea to replace the barbed-wire with a high wall as a test. The AI group blasted their way through!

So, it must be something odd with the barbed-wire.

I admit I sometimes see half-sections of barbed-wire and wonder if it is laying properly or creating an oddity that the AI then stumbles on and creates the "planning ripple".

I will delete and save and then open and purchase and deploy ALL new barbed-wire and see if it clears the problem.

• 6 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...