Does RT have small missions?

Anyone remember the entire Russian Campaign game from Strategy & Tactics (late 70s/early 80s). I seem to remember 9 maps that made up the entire theatre almost covered my living room floor and there were over a thousand pieces. By the time I set everything up for the start of Barbarossa, I was already bored. I wonder if anyone ever actually played it through, just keeping all the material in place would really limit most people's ability.

I have to say, I prefer small scenarios. Platoon size seems to suit me best: maybe that says I should never aspire to anything higher than lieutenant.

Those bigger games were mental. Flat Top, Axis & Allies and ASL were as deep as I dared go. I've read on broad game forums where people would play vast campaign games like that in attics with a playing time that went into years.

I liked pushing counter but thank god for computers taking so much of the work load off the player letting them concentrate on actually playing the game.

Those bigger games were mental. Flat Top, Axis & Allies and ASL were as deep as I dared go. I've read on broad game forums where people would play vast campaign games like that in attics with a playing time that went into years.

I liked pushing counter but thank god for computers taking so much of the work load off the player letting them concentrate on actually playing the game.

Pets and kids do not like long running board games. Well my cats do, but unfortunately their sense of strategy, which pieces they are allowed to move ... or even keeping them on the board was seriously flawed.

In a lot of ways, large scenarios are a series of smaller scenarios each happening in the context of (some of) the others. That 3-village AAR Ithikial did a war-correspondent job on, was approximately divisible into two main areas of action (and two of inaction) for most of the battle. The active areas changed around, but even though there were (I'd estimate) a couple of battalions of US infantry, nowhere near all of it was ever in motion at the same time, apart from the early "Git thar fustest with the mostest" moments.

For anyone out there still looking back longingly at a game set up over an entire large table or occupying the attic, but without the room - there is the option of "World in Flames". That absolutely massive game has been converted to PC.

However - although it's for sale everything I read on its forums indicate there is still a long way to go before it's ready, therefore best thought of as a paid beta. There is no AI - but the multiplayer sounds like it has serious issues (crashes, bugs etc) and people are resorting to some strange workarounds to try to complete even one turn.

All of that said, if the developers don't let the weight of the thing crush them to death and manage to iron out all the bugs - and get some kind of AI happening, it could be a hit with strategy masochists.

One thing to mention (if it hasn't been brought up already), CMRT QB maps now involve triggers, so QBs play out more satisfactorily than the old days. QB AIs have progressed from 'good enough' to 'pretty impressive sometimes'. So on-the-fly tiny and small battles of any sort you can think of are just a few mouse clicks away.

Anyone remember the entire Russian Campaign game from Strategy & Tactics (late 70s/early 80s). I seem to remember 9 maps that made up the entire theatre almost covered my living room floor and there were over a thousand pieces.

That sounds like War In Europe. It combined War In the East with War In the West, which had to be bought separately but had the same rules. Yeah, it was a monster alright. I always played the two games individually simply because I never had the room to set up the whole thing. One time I did set up all the maps (without any counters) on my living room floor because my local paper wanted to take a picture of me with one of my games and I thought that would be impressive. I think that finally convinced everybody in town that I was a nut case.

:D

Michael

That sounds like War In Europe. It combined War In the East with War In the West, which had to be bought separately but had the same rules. Yeah, it was a monster alright. I always played the two games individually simply because I never had the room to set up the whole thing. One time I did set up all the maps (without any counters) on my living room floor because my local paper wanted to take a picture of me with one of my games and I thought that would be impressive. I think that finally convinced everybody in town that I was a nut case.

:D

Michael

you know if this was the cesspool we'd be all over that one.

Amen, Brother! Even playing smaller games it got to where I was getting a sore neck from leaning over the map. Plus, I can leave it set up on my hard drive however long I choose without worrying that some accident is going to ruin hours of work.

Michael

Pets and kids do not like long running board games. Well my cats do, but unfortunately their sense of strategy, which pieces they are allowed to move ... or even keeping them on the board was seriously flawed.

Oh lordy. I remember once back in the early '80s I had spent two or three days setting up and playing the first turn of one monster game. Then in merest seconds a visiting two-year-old undid it all.

:(:(:(:mad::mad:

Michael