Does RT have small missions?

I've enjoyed the old Combat Mission games in the past. And I like

CM: Battle for Normandy. But my preference most of the time is

using the small mission setups in CMBN. I like having just 10-20 soldiers

on a probe mission or something like that.

I was just wondering if Red Thunder has those as well.

Thanks for your time.

Back when CMSF first came out there were lots of 'tiny' and 'small' mission to play. Because the game engine was brand new it was enough of a thrill just to watch small unit actions play out. Plus the initial QB system was immature so if you wanted a decent small battle you had to construct a small battle. It seems that as the QB generator has matured people have largely left the small simple battles up to QB while getting ever-more ambitious with their hand-crafted scenarios.

Playing platoon level scenarios is the best fun. Company+ is managable, battalion level and up is a nightmare. For a noobish real time player such as myself at least :P

Well, I play WEGO and feel the same way. It might not have the same breakneck urgency as it RT, but trying to figure out what to do with all those units and then giving them their orders quickly gets to be tedious. Think the laboriousness rises with the square of the number of units involves.

Michael

All scales of scenarios have their attractions and I like them all. Small (platoon sized) are so much easier to immediately get moving on. I can knock over a wego in an hour easily so they're good for a quick fix.

Of course the effect of small losses are magnified - an unlucky break can be the end.

Company level is about the happy medium, but it takes a fair bit more work to set up and get going.

Battalion level I agree is a nightmare in deployment and the first few moves. Sometimes I find it really demotivating. But, once going, it's just as easy since you're not moving every unit every turn - there are times when you leave several to their own devices (providing support/suppression fire) until other actions develop. Where I find the extra time comes in is keeping track of everything - rewinding the action and moving to the next hotspot. When a large scenario really starts rolling it's quite a thrill.

There is 1 tiny and 3 small scenarios that come with the game. There are 2 more small scenarios that can be downloaded from the repository.

Very small Quick Battles can be easily made. But I choose the map and the units for both sides to make the very small tactical encounters I like.

I probably enjoy company sized engagements the most. I just find it easier to wrap my head around that level in terms of tactics and attention given to each unit. Any good ones at that level in RT?

Those battles identified as medium generally fall into the company or reinforced company size and there are 9 included with the game. There are a few user made as well.

That's kind of what HoI is all about. And if you start with the pre-war and play one of the major powers, it may well take you a month to play it through.

Michael

Played plenty of strategic games including HoI. I thought he meant play the whole war out at a CM level on one giant map! Twenty real years to do the set-up phase!

Thanks again fellas for the help. Got my questions answered. I have enjoyed the big battles in my time but in my old age I enjoy the much smaller battles. One division or the really little ones. And I take my time on those.

Looks like RT handles all the variables. Glad to hear that.

Played plenty of strategic games including HoI. I thought he meant play the whole war out at a CM level on one giant map! Twenty real years to do the set-up phase!

And then you beat the german AI in Poland (after about three years playing without breaks other than to attend to biological needs) and the whole thing grinds to a halt because there's no higher layers where you can "simulate" what happened in this new alternate history...

One day, maybe you can play the whole war on one single map :)

Anyone remember the entire Russian Campaign game from Strategy & Tactics (late 70s/early 80s). I seem to remember 9 maps that made up the entire theatre almost covered my living room floor and there were over a thousand pieces. By the time I set everything up for the start of Barbarossa, I was already bored. I wonder if anyone ever actually played it through, just keeping all the material in place would really limit most people's ability.

I have to say, I prefer small scenarios. Platoon size seems to suit me best: maybe that says I should never aspire to anything higher than lieutenant.