Request but prob to difficult to code...

Wodin

Today I had a squad of Inf on hunt get wiped out by about 4 or 5 hand grenades from a Inf unit that wasn't spotted. I imagine in real life once the first grenade was thrown at you you'd spray and pray in the general direction of the enemy even if it wasn't spotted. Would be cool if the Tac Ai did this. Though I cna see difficulties in programming when it is viable and when it isn't.

Today I had a squad of Inf on hunt get wiped out by about 4 or 5 hand grenades from a Inf unit that wasn't spotted. I imagine in real life once the first grenade was thrown at you you'd spray and pray in the general direction of the enemy even if it wasn't spotted. Would be cool if the Tac Ai did this. Though I cna see difficulties in programming when it is viable and when it isn't.

Questionable. I think the first response would be duck and cover and hope the shrapnel goes over you. Being prone or kneeling to fire is going to increase your chances of getting hit.

By the way Wodin, that might be a nice clip to see. :D I always get a kick out of seeing those arching through the air... especially if it is my guys throwing them. On the receiving end it is always an "oh s**t" moment.

Questionable. I think the first response would be duck and cover and hope the shrapnel goes over you. Being prone or kneeling to fire is going to increase your chances of getting hit.

Yeah, I think the most logical thing to do when that first grenade lands is to get down or run away.

Standing there spraying will pretty much guarantee your death.

Most would take cover and recover their situation awareness and if they can locate their threat - they engage it.

Guys panicking could go bananas, running around becoming easy targets and in some cases probably cause friendly casualites with spray and pray.

The AI area firing in the direction of sound contacts or 'last spotted' icons (or intuition) has been on the wish list for a long time. But it might be one of those 'be careful what you wish for' features. A Russian SMG squad choosing to area fire on intuition would translate into a Russian SMG squad with no ammo pretty darned quick.

It could be "turn on/turn off" feature. Like "hide" or "buttoned" status.

If one didn't like it, he would not enable it for his units. Or for his SMG units.

You shouldn't be able to tell your soldiers to do something they simply wouldn't do IRL. No soldier in his right mind is going to be thinking about shooting the enemy if he suddenly sees a volley of grenades landing around his feet. Even assuming he has enough of a clue of where they came from to shoot back (which is a BIG assumption), his first concern is going to be to determine the lowest spot of round he can reach in a half second or less, dive in, and make himself as small as possible.

It could be "turn on/turn off" feature. Like "hide" or "buttoned" status. If one didn't like it, he would not enable it for his units.

While they're at it, I want BFC to code up an "I win" feature. My men will then react perfectly at all times and in every circumstance, which is definitely what I'd do in real life. Since it's just what the troops should be doing anyway, I think it'll be pretty easy to code. Sure, sure; make it a on/off toggle for those who can't handle reality.

The AI area firing in the direction of sound contacts or 'last spotted' icons (or intuition) has been on the wish list for a long time. But it might be one of those 'be careful what you wish for' features. A Russian SMG squad choosing to area fire on intuition would translate into a Russian SMG squad with no ammo pretty darned quick.

Yeah, IIRC the reason the M16A2 used three round bursts instead of full auto was from the experiences in Vietnam where the grunts would use up all their ammo way too fast when making contact with the enemy.

A panicking grunt can use up all his ammo in an amazingly short time.

I get they will drop to ground and cover..but there was a pause between a couple of grenade volleys..enough to warrant some return fire I thought. I suppose I'm asking about the TAC AI firing at sound contacts or using area fire..again though I'd imagine it very very difficult to code and for it to happen at the correct tactical moments.

One of my favorite tactics is to move to the opposite side of a ridge where I know an enemy unit is located... giving a target order as far as you can over the ridge (make sure you have a gray targeting line, if blue they will fire their weapons) and within 30 meters, your unit will toss several grenades. My most recent opponent who suffered from this thought I had a light mortar targeting his unit.

Spray and pray wouldn't do you any good if that was what happened.

Bil

One of my favorite tactics is to move to the opposite side of a ridge where I know an enemy unit is located... giving a target order as far as you can over the ridge (make sure you have a gray targeting line, if blue they will fire their weapons) and within 30 meters, your unit will toss several grenades. My most recent opponent who suffered from this thought I had a light mortar targeting his unit.

Bil

Devious, very devious I am going to have to practice that.

No I was in forest terrain..it was actually the second training campaign mission.

Bil

One of my favorite tactics is to move to the opposite side of a ridge where I know an enemy unit is located... giving a target order as far as you can over the ridge (make sure you have a gray targeting line, if blue they will fire their weapons) and within 30 meters, your unit will toss several grenades.

This sounds like a brilliant technique. Making notes...

My last QB, I had a Soviet squad using the Move command through the woods when they stumbled on an unexpected mortar team. I thought, "Oh, boy...here we go..." But to my happy surprise, several of my guys stopped and gave fight, routing the mortar crew. They then continued walking on their merry way.

So far, I've been very impressed with the TacAI on the micro level in infantry fights in CMRT. There are, after all, a ton of variables that go into any encounter like this. To me, things seem very realistic so far.