Vin Geometric Icons CMRT

Shown below Red Soviet spotted - Grey German spotted with tan FOW. Just one of the many spotted and FOW color combinations avialable. Just uploaded should be in repository shortly

redgreytan.jpg

Vin Geometric unit icons - CMRT v.1

First, thanks, and credit to the original modders Wolfe, Juju, and Bil (engineer symbol) from whose mods I used as a base to add my original contributions and concepts to. This mod has two unique features: Geometric Unit/FOW icons, and a 2-color code system per side. I think many will find this to be practical, and useful in reading the enemy contacts especially when many FOW icons are present.

There are two default pre-made combination sets to choose from, plus alternate colored FOW icon sets for both sides, and an alternate grey German spotted set. All can be swapped, or mixed and matched to preference, but you can only have one spotted and FOW color per side at one time.

TRADTIONAL SET (Allied blue – Axis red)

Allied: BLUE Soviet spotted / OLIVE GREEN FOW

Axis: RED Germans spotted / Grey FOW

ALTERNATE RED SOVIET SET (Allied red – Axis blue)

Allied: RED Soviet spotted / Olive green FOW

Axis: BLUE Germans spotted / Tan FOW

AVIALABLE SPOTTED SETS:

SOVIET – Red, Blue

GERMAN – Red, Blue, and Grey

AVIALABLE FOW SETS:

SOVIET - Default bright green, Desaturated green, Olive green, and Khaki

GERMAN – Blue, Grey, and Tan

The FOW sets alone are compatible with any other icon mod, or the stock set.

To use just put the folder in the “z” folder of which set you want to use.

Enjoy,

Vin

If you try, or use this mod I would appreciate some feedback on what color combination you like the best. I debated as to which way to go in choosing the color combinations for the default sets in the end choosing to go with darker subdued colors for the FOW. If you prefer brighter ones they can swapped out for the “default bright green”, or “desaturated green”. You can make any type of custom combination. Just create a new folder and label it “my icons” for example, then copy the color folders of each spotted, and FOW of the combination you want into the folder you created

If you try, or use this mod I would appreciate some feedback on what color combination you like the best. I debated as to which way to go in choosing the color combinations for the default sets in the end choosing to go with darker subdued colors for the FOW. If you prefer brighter ones they can swapped out for the “default bright green”, or “desaturated green”. You can make any type of custom combination. Just create a new folder and label it “my icons” for example, then copy the color folders of each spotted, and FOW of the combination you want into the folder you created

Vin, thanks for doing these: I use your other game sets, and am grateful you have done these. The games are MUCH better to run with them. (Though I cannot find these in the repository yet? I assume they will turn up!)

My colour choice is (will be, when I get them!) Allies/Soviet red (olive green FOW), Axis/German grey (tan FOW): seems *most appropriate* to me somehow ...

Your welcome, glad you find the mod helpful Phil. It sometimes takes a day or two to show up in the repository so check it now and then and it should be there soon. The choices you selected was one I was debating as a pre-made set. Depending on what feedback I get I will probably modify the pre-made sets down the road to what CMRT combo seems to be most popular. The traditional set (what I use,) will always remain Allied blue - Axis red.

May I ask why you don't upload to cmmods/greenasjade?

I plan to, just haven't got around to it. I re-uploaded this, and changed the Red soviet set to have Grey German spotted/tan FOW not that one couldn't make that combo already if they wanted.

Your welcome, glad you find the mod helpful Phil. It sometimes takes a day or two to show up in the repository so check it now and then and it should be there soon. The choices you selected was one I was debating as a pre-made set. Depending on what feedback I get I will probably modify the pre-made sets down the road to what CMRT combo seems to be most popular. The traditional set (what I use,) will always remain Allied blue - Axis red.

Got them now! Thanks again.

I made a key finally to make it easier for people to see all the color sets, and options the mod offers. Also, while doing the key I noticed I missed two blue German spotted icons; Flak, and SPAA. If you use the German blue spotted set you might want to download again as that is now fixed.

VinGeometricUnitIcons.jpg~original

I figured people would want the red Soviets even though I use the traditional set because I am used to the Germans being red. The hardest one size fits all decision I have had to make is with the German set when the Soviets are red. I have changed the default German premade CMRT set for them several times. After playing and testing this more I think the blue spotted/grey FOW combo for Germans works good for visual distinction while maintaining some grey for Germans. Remember you can make your own custom spotted/FOW combo you prefer. Experiment for what works best for you.

Having played around with my choices, I have changed slightly: keeping Axis Grey but with "faded" grey (rather than tan) for FOW. I find I like the two tones / shades of the same colour.

I still like, and have, red for Soviet: any chance (cheeky, I know!) of a "faded red" set for Soviet FOW, so that both sides have faded versions of their own full colour for the FOW versions?

Good to see some experimenting to see what combo works best for you. I prefer the "traditional" set, but for the CMRT red soviet set I like the blue spotted with grey FOW for the Germans. I like having some visual distinction between all the icons. The grey FOW also looks more distinctive to the olive soviet FOW. The blue is more distinctive to my eye to the grey FOW to my eye.

As far as a faded red for soviets I feel I put enough time into this for now. maybe in a future update. The red used is the default red color from CMSF.

Good to see some experimenting to see what combo works best for you. I prefer the "traditional" set, but for the CMRT red soviet set I like the blue spotted with grey FOW for the Germans. I like having some visual distinction between all the icons. The grey FOW also looks more distinctive to the olive soviet FOW. The blue is more distinctive to my eye to the grey FOW to my eye.

As far as a faded red for soviets I feel I put enough time into this for now. maybe in a future update. The red used is the default red color from CMSF.

Ok, thanks for considering it anyway. And thanks for all the options we HAVE got!