Hand to Hand fighting?

James

I wonder if anyone has ever done a test of what happens if two rifle squads, completely out of ammo, enter the same space.

Two years ago, someone posted a youtube clip in the CMBN forum of just such a test, but the clip is no longer available. Without any ammo, the two opposing forces just ignored each other.

I would be fine with it being completely abstracted like it was in CMx1 where you just saw the troops making "I'll hit you with the butt of my rifle" movements in the air and soft thuds of close combat were played...

I'd be fine with that too. Hand to hand fighting would of sometimes happened so it should be simulated. Maybe extremely rare on the western front but the Russians with their courageous and desperate disregard for losses could use it to take a position. The bayonet charge would also be a psychological weapon with the defenders standing their ground or more likely running, depending on their moral.

I think this is just one of those things that take to much time to implement vs the time they will actually happen in game. At some point Im sure BF will revisit this but so far it has just been to far down on the "list".

I think this is just one of those things that take to much time to implement vs the time they will actually happen in game. At some point Im sure BF will revisit this but so far it has just been to far down on the "list".

Doesn't that depend heavily on the level of abstraction?

I think many of the players wouldn't mind a near complete abstraction in the way I described earlier as long as their troops can perform hand to hand combat in dire situations.

Doesn't that depend heavily on the level of abstraction?

I think many of the players wouldn't mind a near complete abstraction in the way I described earlier as long as their troops can perform hand to hand combat in dire situations.

Sure thing, but might still be that the time spend vs time it actually gets used has been deemed unfavourable so far.. hence getting further down on the "list". With all the time I have spent playing x2 the times CQ would have been used are very few.

I for one wouldent mind heavy abstraction in this area but Im not sure what way BF wants to take. Maybe they want to save it for later so they can "do it right".

Im pretty sure we will see some kind of CQ in the future, question is how abstracted it will be.

I think the overriding issue may be "teaching" the TacAI to how/when to use Hand-to-Hand.

I can't think of any simple yes/no conditions.

Also, I personally have not ever, IIRC, run completely out of ammo for any squad, so have not noticed much need.

I did think BFC said something about being able to get grenades as well as other ammo now, but haven't seen it yet ( perhaps I haven't tried enough combinations of supply trucks ). More grenades would definitely help to reduce the number of situations where Hand-to-Hand may occur. ;)

Perhaps squads could be abstracted as never running completely out of ammo. Being "out of ammo" could impose a severe rate of fire and morale penalty instead.

We had that in CMx1, and frankly it sucked. I'm glad that feature didn't make it into CMx2.

I thought so, yes. The idea that your troops could theoretically fire their weapons indefinitely without running out of ammo was lame.

I think it worked pretty well. Units with low ammo would only fire when the situation demanded it (not put down covering fire but only in self preservation). What we have now is better but we would need hand to hand to make it perfect IMO. The situation when two units just look at each other in close quarters when out of ammo is lame.

Luckely such situations rarely happen.