Simple question...

Thanks Erwin. I might wait until the extra features of CMRT are released for CMBN at some point, as I do have more of an interest in this part of the war. (This is happening right?).

BFC have said it will. Give it a couple of months, so they can fix the things that only mass release finds, and port what needs porting.

However, I'd imagine you'll still need to buy Base plus CW plus 2.0 plus 3.0 at that point, though what sort of bundle options they'll offer, I don't know. You might save $5 getting it all at once, or you might have to wait til the next pack/module for BN to get a deal on v3.

Any road up, BN+CW at v2 is a bloomin' good game; there's not much point in holding your fire for v3.

Im sold, BN Bundle it is! One more question though, please bear in mind Im a bit of a novice when it comes to computers, Im thinking of getting the downloaded version. Could I place a copy to an external hard drive as a backup in case this tempremental PC of mine packs up? Or are you allowed unlimited amount of downloads on the same PC ( i.e like GamersGate)? Cheers once again!

Im sold, BN Bundle it is! One more question though, please bear in mind Im a bit of a novice when it comes to computers, Im thinking of getting the downloaded version.

Welcome to the game and forum.

Could I place a copy to an external hard drive as a backup in case this tempremental PC of mine packs up? Or are you allowed unlimited amount of downloads on the same PC ( i.e like GamersGate)? Cheers once again!

Yes and yes. While you can download again I personally recommend that you save a copy away.

Waiting for CMBN v3 may take awhile. I have NO inkling about the planned v3 upgrade, I'm just basing that statement on past history.

The learning curve can be steep. It's best to get it done early. ;)

Once you get the game installed, play the tutorial a bunch. You'll be bored with it eventually. That's when you should try bizarre commands and combinations. THEN move on to the first small battle. Repeated play will get you ready for the meatier ones.

Ken

Might even do to burn a copy onto a DVD. That way you'll still have it even if, god forbid, all your equipment goes tits up.

Michael

Good idea. I actually create my backup folders for app installs limiting each folder to a little over 4G just for that purpose. I still have not actually burned and DVDs yet but that is the plan.

Thanks for all the answers and advice guys. Agreed, the learning curve is quite steep (its been years since I played CM.BB). But so far I'm loving it. Only a few niggles at the start, such as how do you move your squads/teams around on the setup screen? Also, there seem to be many more infantry squad types now compared to CM.BB, such as mortar and MG Ammo bearers, how on earth do you use them properly?

So many questions lol!

I have skimmed through the manual, played the first two tutorials and watched a handful of videos online but I still feel like I've barely broken the surface when it comes to this.

Feels good to be playing CM again though, I honestly thought the franchise had ceased to exist after the release of BB! I just happened to be clearing out my attic when I found my copy of CM.BB and just out of curiosity put it into Google and...well..here I am. CM is indeed alive and kicking! :)

Only a few niggles at the start, such as how do you move your squads/teams around on the setup screen?

Not sure if you are asking, or have found out already. You use one of the move commands to have a unit switch places in the setup phase (only inside the setup zone, or it will just plot a move command).

Also, there seem to be many more infantry squad types now compared to CM.BB, such as mortar and MG Ammo bearers, how on earth do you use them properly?

Ammo bearers are typicly keept close to the respective weapon they are serving, to shear with it the extra ammo they are carrying. They can also be used to go and aquire extra ammo and still have the main wepon stay in place.

Im sure I've read somewhere on here that ammo bearers are platoon specific. If so, is there a way to order/tag whole platoons around without having to individually order squads within them around? This would be especially useful at the start of a battle on a large map. As I do find it a bit of a chore having to sort them all out by 'hand' so to speak.

If you double-click on a squad/team/HQ of a Battalion/Company/Platoon, you will select ALL of the members of that formation.

This can usefully extract a platoon at a time.

You can also use this to give multiple commands which you can then fine-tune.

Beware though :

You can accidently select an entire Company when clicking on an HQ, give orders and notice that all your units suddenly have an "extra" movement leg. ( often at strange angles ).

Trying to delete this with all units selected will delete ALL movement orders for everyone.

But it happens to everyone eventually. ;)